The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:30:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX-60B Question  (Read 6432 times)
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« on: August 07, 2008, 12:43:17 AM »

OK, I've been nosing through the circut, here's the issue and the question.

When I throw the DX-60 into the Tune mode, the HV starts to drop off, (as indicated by the dimming lamp, and the occasional pop, and one flash near the function switch,). The rig works without incident in the AM and CW position. I plan on replacing all the paper and electrolytics in the rig as they should be after all this time. I don't see anything zorched, so I'm thinking an issue with the function switch...just a good cleaning perhaps?

Thanks for any input, my iron and VOM are in readyness.
W1EUJ
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:03:07 AM »

Fix your caps first. Troubleshooting with known-weak components is time wasted. DX-60 will work really funny with bad caps.

If you are willing to pay a little extra, this guy sells a complete recapping kit, including a new twist-loc filter cap:

http://www.hayseedhamfest.com/DX60info.htm

Includes all the twist-loc hardware and replacement for every electrolytic in the rig. I've used it, got my Dx-60 up and running in an hour, looks real nice. Ships quick.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ

w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »

Hi David and KF8XO ...  had a discussion here about 6 months ago about Heath Dx60b and function switch .... after you get your filter caps squared away, you might want to consider a step start for the Hv supply .... the switching inrush current is a bit much for just a wafer switch ... 73 John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 11:17:29 PM »

Cap kit is on the way...thanks for the link!
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »

Well, while prepping the Dixie for the new caps, I made a discovery. Seems the 270 ohm resistor across the main filter cap can gave up the magic smoke. I had the chassis at such an angle I noticed a very fine crack completely through the resistor ( a "mini zorch" if you will?). So ordering the recap kit was a great suggestion, it needed them and I got to looking at these components more times than I normally would. Updates as they develop. Thanks! Smiley
W1EUJ
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:55:35 AM »

Ah, I now recall that DX-60 supply resistors should be replaced with higher power ones.
I'm not talking something silly like 20W - go the next size up (2W->5W). I found the same resistors burned on mine. Also check the power resistor in the PA circuit.
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 02:39:21 PM »

Got some shiney new 2 watters on the bench. Thanks for the heads up on the PA!
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »

The re-cap is complete, and resistors replaced. I highly suggest anyone looking to replace all the electrolytics, contact Hayseed Hamfest. Cost was $30 and had it in 3 days...thanks for the tip! Pics to follow. Took me about 2 hours, but I had alot of breaks to see the grandkids.

Smoke test to follow, have pics of the finished job I will post soon.
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »

Found the problem...zorched contact on the function switch.  Angry Has anyone begun to make replacements available, or is there another route to go? I know someone mentioned a relay to avoid this problem, but it's already here. Suggestions?
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 08:21:07 PM »

it is possible to drill out the rivet holding the contact and replace it ... a task of moderate tedium ... the real trick is finding a screw and nut to hold the replacement ... you might try your local optometrist (sp ?) ... sometimes they have VERY small bolt/nut sets ... ptherwise, find a junker tx ... hope this helps  ...  73   John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »

Okay, just for grins I took the switch apart and cleaned it and got it a shiny again. I am getting continuity through the contact. I wont dare run the HV through it again, but is it strong enough to handle the 6v to trip a relay? I was able to claim a wafer fron my junker Apache, so I have contacts as well...
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »

Well, the HV relay is installed, workng FB and the Dixie is back on the air. Thanks for all the input on this one guys. Now we will start replacing the filter caps in the Apache. She has developed a nasty hum on the audio. More money to Mouser!
K1ZJH

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 07:18:28 PM »

Okay, just for grins I took the switch apart and cleaned it and got it a shiny again. I am getting continuity through the contact. I wont dare run the HV through it again, but is it strong enough to handle the 6v to trip a relay? I was able to claim a wafer fron my junker Apache, so I have contacts as well...

You could use a solid state relay with  0-volt crossover sensing.  Milliamps through the contacts, and no
thump!

Pete
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 02:27:05 AM »

You could use a solid state relay with  0-volt crossover sensing.  Milliamps through the contacts, and no
thump!

Pete

But isn't the "Thump" what it's all about?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015