The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:04:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Squires Sanders SS-1R Receiver Test Results  (Read 49211 times)
W1VD
Contributing

« on: September 16, 2008, 11:51:26 AM »

Not sure this receiver qualifies as a true BA or not...at 16" X 8" X 13" and only 25 pounds it's easily moved without worrying about one's back giving out. It is hollow state, though.

http://www.w1vd.com/SS-1R.html

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 12:43:52 PM »

Hi Jay:

Great read!

It will be interesting to see if you eventually hear birdies with the higher LO injection.

I saw an SS-1R at the Shelby, NC flea a few weeks ago...the first I have seen.

Thank you for all the work. I enjoy reading about RX design.

Dan
w1DAN
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »

Maybe a canoe anchor, Jay?  Wink

They are wonderful little boxes, you have a real keeper there. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on 7360 longevity. Clegg used this tube in the Venus, and my limited experience is that with regular use they go soft sooner instead of later. Maybe Ed was running 20v on the plates. Pricey tubes these days.

Speaking of which, didn't SS buy Clegg around that same time? I have one of the spinner knobs used on the SS-1R, it came on a Clegg Interceptor. An add-on, I'd guess.

About ten years back, I had the chance to get all three peices in exchange for a spare 51S-1 I had sitting here. Wanted to make the deal too, just never got around to it. The guy ended up trading for an S-Line that wasn't all it was claimed to be, and I was reminded of an important lesson learned earlier in life: strike while the iron is hot!

Someone had the video unit for sale recently, I'll see if I can locate it for you.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 07:13:41 PM »

Many thanks, Jay!!  The SS-1 had a rep for having a stout front end and you proved it.

My next HB rx project is gonna use 6ME8s or 6JH8 sheet beam toobs.  The 6ME8 calls for 50 volts or so on the deflection plates, and 300v on the screen.  Should be interesting!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 07:28:19 PM »

Hey Jonny,

Nice catch on that HRO with all the coils...

Where was the RCA plate attached?  I didn't see one on the front.

Oh, and I saw an SS-1 on ebay recently...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 07:33:49 PM »

Very FB Article ..very Nice...Complete, working block diagram everything...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:52:51 PM »

Maybe a canoe anchor, Jay?  Wink

They are wonderful little boxes, you have a real keeper there. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on 7360 longevity. Clegg used this tube in the Venus, and my limited experience is that with regular use they go soft sooner instead of later. Maybe Ed was running 20v on the plates. Pricey tubes these days.

Speaking of which, didn't SS buy Clegg around that same time? I have one of the spinner knobs used on the SS-1R, it came on a Clegg Interceptor. An add-on, I'd guess.

About ten years back, I had the chance to get all three peices in exchange for a spare 51S-1 I had sitting here. Wanted to make the deal too, just never got around to it. The guy ended up trading for an S-Line that wasn't all it was claimed to be, and I was reminded of an important lesson learned earlier in life: strike while the iron is hot!

Someone had the video unit for sale recently, I'll see if I can locate it for you.

The 7360's in my SS-1R have been working fine since 1993. Clegg also used the 7360 in the Interceptor (not the B) receiver. The 7360 in my Venus is still the original one. Squires Sanders and Clegg got into a business relationship around 1963 (doing from memory but I could look it up). They never used a spinner knob on any of the tuning mechanisms that used Eddystone dials.

Great info Jay. Glad to see someone putting all that info to good use.

And Ralph; you must have better eyes then I do. The last Squire Sanders Receiver that I saw on ebay was last year and it was the SS-1BS. It was bought by the "OAK" man. Note: Drake also had a receiver with the same four letters/numbers as the Squires Sanders SS-1R. The Drake unit was called the SSR-1.

There was a SS-1R and SS-1V combo at Dayton this year. Receiver had an extra toggle switch on the right side of the case. Don't know if he sold it. I believe he had $2K plus for a price.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »

Thanks for the info, Pete. I figured the knob was an add-on that someone ordered from Clegg/SS and didn't come with the Interceptor. It's in my parts drawer now. Glad to hear that you've had decent luck with 7360 longevity too - maybe I had some limp tubes to start with.

Jay, I enjoyed your other info on BA receivers too. It's nice to see actual measurements taken present-day, by someone who knows what they are doing, what to look for, and why.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 09:41:17 AM »

Jay,
Cool! Might also be interesting to look at oscillator phase noise, the real issue.
dynamic range is easy these days. I bet the R390 stays near the top.
IF I ever get back to the HB RX an HP8640B cavity from one of my hanger queens will produce the LO.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »

Jay, I'm interested in your test setup.  Perhaps it's detailed on your website but if so I didn't see it.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 10:50:52 AM »

John,
All you need is two clean generators or crystal oscillators a combiner that can be home brewed and an RMS volt meter. I use a pair of HP 8640B a homebrew or mini circuits combiner and an HP3400 RMS meter. This method is in the ARRL handbook or Solid State Handbook. Avoid the bogus new ARRL method that hides rice box phase noise. Reference to the RX MDS always. A step attenuator helps if the generator outputs do not have a good one.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 06:59:52 PM »

I have a sweet Hp directional coupler, should be just the ticket.  Don't have any low noise generators though.  How much is phase noise from your typical synthesized generator gonna affect the measurements?

W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:31:34 PM »

Thanks to all for the comments - this continues to be an interesting project.

The test setup here is as follows: Qty 2) HP8640B signal generators into a hybrid combiner. Details on the combiner, as well as the measurement technique, can be found in ARRL Handbooks, Test and Measurement section circa 1980 - 1984 (perhaps other years as well). HP355C and HP355D step attenuators are used between the combiner and the receiver. The voltmeter measuring the audio output can be almost any lab grade device like an HP 400, 3400, the voltmeter section of an HP-339A distortion meter (which is what I use), etc. Double shielded cables are nice but not a necessity if the leakage does not impact MDS measurements - down to -146 dBm or so. You'll know right away if you have a leakage problem.

Generator phase noise could impact the blocking dynamic range measurement. Not sure how one would know of the impact without comparing it to an exceptionally clean generator like a crystal or an HP8640B. I'll go to the grave owning the three 8640Bs I have  Wink     

As Frank says, reference everything to the MDS. Forget about 'calculating' 3rd order intercept numbers as they obfuscate the levels that tell the real story.

As time permits I'll look at phase noise as well, however, all of the BA receivers will probably test real well - xtal and LC oscillators rule!

There was a Clegg  connection apparent in the SS-1R that I have. The VLO assembly has a QA stamp that clearly shows the word 'CLEGG' with a number '2' underneath. Not sure what their business arrangement was but that would certainly be interesting information as well. 

Can't speak to 7360 longevity other than to say that the two that came with the receiver (one an old looking GE and one an old looking RCA) tested well above minimum gm in the tube tester. Replaced them with new RCA units because they were available. During MDS and DR testing I swapped in the old tubes as a test and the differences were minimal.

Look forward to seeing your results with the 6ME8 and 6JH8, John. Just started monitoring the antiqueradios.com website. Lots of cool stuff going on there as well...

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 10:38:08 PM »

John,
Phase noise matters most when you try to measure close in dynamic range or oscillator phase noise. Yup I will also go to the grave owning 3 8640Bs also and at least 1 hanger queen. I have to confess on of my 8640Bs isn't feeling well and blows fuses. I'm sure the queen will make it well because the queen just has cracked gears. I don't use a step attenuator very often but rely on the internal level controls. 1 DB steps might be quicker. A combiner or return loss bridge is different than a directional coupler and is pretty easy to build. This was the first thing I built about a week after meeting Jay when we ran my SB303 on a pair of URM25s back around '77. I also have a minicircuits splitter but most of the time I grab the old pamona box HB.
BTW the 8640B service manual has a simple KISS set up for measuring phase noise.
As Jay stated the procedure is in the handbook posted over many years. also in the Solid State Handbook.
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 06:26:32 AM »

Agree with Frank...you can make use of the HP 8640B internal internal level meter that has 1 dB graduations and is amazingly accurate. The step attenuators make for easier measurements. The HP 355 attenuators are reasonable on ebay these days and you won't find better step attenuators. Stay away from the Tektronix 2701s that are showing up.

For phase noise measurements (not blocking measurements) I use a dedicated xtal oscillator, the same attenuators and audio meter. As clean as the 8640B is a xtal is cleaner.

Frank...I managed to fix a gear in one of mine. Pressed out the brass insert and crazy glued (think it was crazy glue...but may have been epoxy) the crack, enlarged the insert hole very slightly on the lathe and glued the now slightly press fit bushing back in. Has been fine for over a year now - with a lot use lately with all the receiver tests.

Think that the plastic shrinks over the years and the fit is originally so tight on the brass insert that cracks form - don't think it's from use. Might be worth a try on the queen.     

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 08:36:23 AM »

Older gears were nylon and nylon likes moisture not grease. The set screws caused my unit to crack. The Queen will be gutted to fix my #3. Something shorted and the power supply got sucked down till it blew a fuse. My best 8640B deal was $100 and it was fairly new. Took 1/2 an hour to repair.
We have a couple at work I have my eye on. We never use them any more. We are moving to another building and rumor has it a lot of stuff is going to get dumped. I hope to get some of it. fc
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »

Jay, Clegg was (I think) bought by Squires Sanders, around '63 or so according to Pete. I know there's a point where the Clegg ads in QST start showing the SS connection, but can't recall just when. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a small mention of it in the rags of the day.

It would be interesting to discover what was made for SS by Clegg and vice versa, how the two businesses worked together while making distinctively different products.

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »

I have a Squires-Sanders HF comb generator - makes quick work of testing the sensitivity of an HF receiver across the whole HF spectrum without any signal generator tuning.

I remember the comb generator drawings having a Clegg logo in the title block.  I presumed that Clegg owned S-S.  Clegg FM radios were produced in the middle to late 1970's, one of the first synthesized 2 meter rigs.  Some of their radios just had Clegg labels on rice boxes.  Isn't this after after Squires was deceased?

I once found an accident report on the web for the Squires aircraft accident.  He collided with an airliner near Newark I think it was while flying with a student, blind cockpit as I recall.  The airliner was able to land safely.  In those days you could tool around in the air at altitudes and close distance to the big airport that you can't today.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »

I have a Squires-Sanders HF comb generator - makes quick work of testing the sensitivity of an HF receiver across the whole HF spectrum without any signal generator tuning.

I remember the comb generator drawings having a Clegg logo in the title block.  I presumed that Clegg owned S-S.  Clegg FM radios were produced in the middle to late 1970's, one of the first synthesized 2 meter rigs.  Some of their radios just had Clegg labels on rice boxes.  Isn't this after after Squires was deceased?

I once found an accident report on the web for the Squires aircraft accident.  He collided with an airliner near Newark I think it was while flying with a student, blind cockpit as I recall.  The airliner was able to land safely.  In those days you could tool around in the air at altitudes and close distance to the big airport that you can't today.
Todd said: Jay, Clegg was (I think) bought by Squires Sanders, around '63 or so according to Pete. I know there's a point where the Clegg ads in QST start showing the SS connection, but can't recall just when. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a small mention of it in the rags of the day.

It would be interesting to discover what was made for SS by Clegg and vice versa, how the two businesses worked together while making distinctively different products.

Squires and Sanders brought financial, marketing, and more business savvy to Squires Sanders/Clegg products. Zeus, Interceptor, 99'er only had Clegg nameplates. The very early Venus product and maybe the Apollo, only had Clegg nameplate. Later models have the Squires Sanders and/or Squires Sanders/Clegg nameplate. In the early 70's Clegg moved to Lancaster, PA where he started up another business to make FM rigs. This Company also had a financial backer/partnership and it's name appeared on some of the rigs. Several of the FM rigs were also imported and re-branded. If I remember correctly, Clegg also had another business prior to making amateur equipment. Clegg never owned Squires Sanders. It was, for lack of a better phrase, joint ownership by the three men. Squires and Sanders had the major business and marketing savvy, and Clegg already had a manufacturing location in operation. Squires was killed in airplane accident over Linden Airport.

Ed Clegg was a great guy. First met him when I was about 16 years old. Saw the first production run of 99'ers and Zeus's being put together at the Mt Tabor factory (actually a large garage) by a battery of men and women. We hooked up again in the early 90's with a number of e-mails, phone conversations, and some business. Ed was also very active on a number of Reflectors in the 90's.

vincent
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 06:19:42 AM »

Hi Jay,
compliments for your very good work and for those “magic numbers”!
While I was looking to the photos and admiring how shiny is your SS-1R, I found that, externally, its looks like the late version, the 701 series, but by looking deeper at the inside (top and bottom) and to the block diagram it is quite clear that it is the earlier model.
The SS-1R/701 has a nominal 6dB better sensitivity than the older model. Therefore the MDS for the 701 will be much better, but what will be the Blocking and the Two Tone D.R. ?
I don’t know how Squires obtained this sensitivity improvement, maybe by increasing the LO level, maybe by lowering the negative bias to the 7360 grid or perhaps by modifying the RF input filter?
Thanks again for your article and sorry for my intrusion.
Kind regards.
Vincent.
(from Rome, Italy)

P.S.  Isn’t extraordinary that we are still discussing about this fantastic Receiver and
W.K. Squires famous article after 45 years?
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 08:31:31 PM »

Several of the FM rigs were also imported and re-branded.

That would be Midland. I still have a 220 mc version that is only used on 222.5 Simplex during contests,

Carl
KM1H
va7oj

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 06:45:44 PM »

Hi Pete,

Just found your post on the Squires-Sanders SS-1R whilst searching for comments on HP 8640B phase noise. I am in the process of acquiring a second HP 8640B to set up a 2-signal RF test lash-up.

In 1964 I designed and built a 20m SSB/CW transceiver using one 7360 as a receiver front end and transmitter balanced modulator. The design was inspired by the SS-1R.

http://www.ab4oj.com/1st/hb/main.html

Cheers, 73,
Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 08:37:44 PM »

Adam:
Interesting design. Those tubes had lots of possibilities back in the 60's. I wonder if you still have the rig.

Will look for you next week probably around the Icom area. We're going to be doing a marketing/awareness of a new D-Star publication along with all my other hats.

va7oj

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 02:46:46 AM »

Hi Pete,

Nice to hear from you. No, I sold the rig to another ZS ham in 1967, just before I relocated to Europe. But the Radio ZS article describing it is on my website. I have been approached by a couple of Russian hams who are replicating it. Receiving-tube technology reached its apogee (and its swan-song) with the 7360.

I will be holding short demo sessions at the second Icom booth on Friday and Saturday, starting at 11 AM and 3 PM.  I will be demonstrating the DSP features on various Icom HF radios. The second Icom booth is opposite the Yaesu booth in the Hara Arena.

See you there!

Cheers, 73, Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 03:25:48 AM »

Not sure this receiver qualifies as a true BA or not...at 16" X 8" X 13" and only 25 pounds it's easily moved without worrying about one's back giving out. It is hollow state, though.
http://www.w1vd.com/SS-1R.html

I almost bought a set of these back in the mid 1970's. When I lived in Tulsa Oklahoma we had a downtown electronics store which had opened up a ham radio department within the existing electronics store called Radio Inc. The owner’s name was Bert Gunn and he was an old ham dating back to the spark gap days. They sold equipment on consignment for a few years before they had to shut the ham department down. They had a set of the Squires-Sanders, both the receiver and transmitter. If I remember they both had chrome cabinets and were very unusual. I remember Bert telling me that company was only around for a short period of time. They also made a transceiver as well. I always wondered if they were any good and I always regretted not buying them. I walked out the door with a pair of the Kenwood twins instead.

I defiantly think the Squires-Sanders fully qualify as boatanchors and vintage equipment for sure.

There was only one prototype transmitter made as a companion for the SS-1R. Transmitter never made it to production. Prototype spent its remaining days somewhere on Cape Cod. Squires Sanders made a general coverage version of the SS-1R called the SS-1BS. They also had an unusual video bandscanner (panadapter) for use with either receiver. They made in conjunction with Clegg, a separate VHF receiver and a transmitter, a 6M linear, a number of VHF transceivers, several CB transceivers, and several products for the commercial markets.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015