The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:36:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station scope wanted  (Read 9025 times)
wc4r

(c) WC4R

« on: September 13, 2008, 10:45:23 AM »

I am long overdue in picking up a scope for my station. I run a Valiant and want to be sure it is set up right. What scope can be recommended? The Kenwood station scope seems to command a high price. Heathkit, maybe. An old oscilloscope? Don't want junk but want to be frugal. Any ideas?
Joe
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:14:30 PM »

Forget those station monitors.  They're overpriced and most are junk.  Careful shopping at a hamfest should yield a decent scope for under $25.   As a bonus you can use it for troubleshooting too!  I've gotten B&Ks and HP scopes (working) for $10.

Look for at least a 10 MHz scope with triggered sweep.  Some use HB capacitive or inductive taps to sample the signal; I just take a BNC cable with alligator clips on one end, wrap once or twice around the coass, and short them together.  THis is an easy and effective inductive pickup and won't fry the scope if you forget to connect the antenna or something.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »

Ditto on all that JN said... Check out your local hamfests.

I just scored a clean and working HP 1742, 100 mHz, 2 channel scope with all manuals and a probe for 20 bux last week at the Findlay, Ohio fester... they don't get much cheaper than that.
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »

I just picked up off epay an Old OS-8B/U Hickok Scope fer 20 bux in Very Decent shape, and they're handy little scopes to have...original NAVSHIPS manual Probes everything...Just like it was going aboard ship again...Carrying handle on the case isn't even bad shape...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:58:54 PM »

TEK 7000 series is still a great scope. My 7904 will see a 1 ghz signal and I'm into it for about $200. 7603 goes for cheap money and work very well. All use common plug-ins.
wc4r

(c) WC4R

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »

Here are a few I ran across. Should I stay away from any of these? Huh
I am really dumb when it comes to oscilloscopes but really want to learn.
B&K 15 MHz dual trace
Tektronix 2245A 100MHz 4ch
Hitachi
Goldstar OS-9020A 20MHz
Telequipment Model #S54A
Ballantine 1010a

TNX
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »

2245 sounds like the best if it works properly. I just picked up a beautiful 2430A digital scope.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »

I think you will make a good choice with the growing list of suggestions of quality scopes. The Heathkits that were station monitor types are probably the worst for giving a nice bright display. So many goodies out there for under $100. And larger display CRT's

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »

I am with GFZ on the Tektronix 7000 series scopes.  I have a couple of type 7854 "digitizing" scopes and a 7904A and an assortment of 7000 series plug-ins including a spectrum analyzer and TDR and the price was definitely right.  If you want something in keeping with older vintage gear I also use some of the older Type 500 series tube-type scopes.  A Type 556 resides near the Desk KW for monitoring and it is a true dual beam with separate guns in the CRT and weighs around 80 pounds; I also have a Type 555 and a 545B serving monitor service at others stations. 

Even these older tube type scopes are pretty reliable.  The Type 555 is a dual beam with a separate power supply sitting on a "scope mobile" and it sat outside in the rain for several months at a little airport.  It along with a dozen 1 and letter series plug-ins and probes were free for the taking and all it needed was replacement of several black beauty caps and a recalibration and it has been used quite a bit over the last 5 years without failure.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »

I gave away a beautiful 545A which is also great room heater...and BA sagger
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »

I gave away a beautiful 545A which is also great room heater...and BA sagger

Still have one complete with cart and several plug ins. 32 meg as I recall? Hasn't been plugged in for years, still sitting in storage.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 07:11:32 PM »

B&K 15 MHz dual trace
Hitachi
Goldstar OS-9020A 20MHz
Telequipment Model #S54A
Ballantine 1010a

TNX

I would say it depends largely upon the price.  The B&K will do fine; $5-20 is a typical hamfest price.  The 2245 is an outstanding scope but it'll run you some bux.  Great for troubleshooting but it won't be much better as a mod monitor than the B&K.

Tek scopes are tops.  All other things being equal, go with a Tek.   I'd shy away from HP 17xx series scopes unless you want to do some switch cleaning (when working they are great scopes, though, and they're usually cheap as Low Hanging Balls found).

THe last scope I bought was a late model Hitachi or Panasonic 100 MHz sscope with a built in freq counter.  Had been dropped on a corner but works FB.  $40!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 07:55:17 PM »

Also, get one with the largest screen that fits your space. It's much easier to see what's going on with a big screen and you won't need to put on your spectacles and look like an old buzzard!

B&K 15 MHz dual trace
Hitachi
Goldstar OS-9020A 20MHz
Telequipment Model #S54A
Ballantine 1010a

TNX

I would say it depends largely upon the price.  The B&K will do fine; $5-20 is a typical hamfest price.  The 2245 is an outstanding scope but it'll run you some bux.  Great for troubleshooting but it won't be much better as a mod monitor than the B&K.

Tek scopes are tops.  All other things being equal, go with a Tek.   I'd shy away from HP 17xx series scopes unless you want to do some switch cleaning (when working they are great scopes, though, and they're usually cheap as Low Hanging Balls found).

THe last scope I bought was a late model Hitachi or Panasonic 100 MHz sscope with a built in freq counter.  Had been dropped on a corner but works FB.  $40!
wc4r

(c) WC4R

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 08:00:29 PM »

Just found one for $32. A Leader Electronics Dual Trace Oscilloscope LBO-514; 10 MHz.
Should do the job.
TNX all for the assist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015