The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:56:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 METER AM THIS FALL/WINTER  (Read 5499 times)
KL7OF

« on: September 12, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »

I have returned from AK to spend the Fall/Winter at the Tumtum WA QTH....I have the 100ths x 813s rig on 14286 khz +/- AM with a full wave wire loop and an RBC Navy RX......Worked two ricebox stations on AM yesterday...VA and MN...condx were not great but good enough....I usually operate from around 2000Z to 2200Z  and I get on 3 or 4 times a week.....more when the weather gets colder....I'll be happy to hear all the usual bunch and looking for new callsigns on 20 AM as well.....Steve
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 05:01:09 PM »

A few weeks back I inhereted a Yaesu FT 1000MP.  Now this is the first SS radio I have owned since back in the early 90s.  I do have a beam up about 40 ft. which covers the 5 bands but all I have used it for is 10 meter AM.

So with a new toy, I dial around the 20 and 17 meter bands looking for someone to talk to because I know that 15, 12 and 10 are unreliable.  I have to tell you that the damn Yaesu is one of the most complicated rigs to operate I have ever seen.  So on 20 meters I am not hearing many stations at all.  17 is all but dead.

In years past 20 was like playing with alligators.  Just pick a frequency and make some noise and your ears would ring for days.  That isn't the case now.  Wonder where all those guys are?  I will be listening for you Steve. 
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 05:42:47 PM »

A few weeks back I inhereted a Yaesu FT 1000MP.  Now this is the first SS radio I have owned since back in the early 90s.  I do have a beam up about 40 ft. which covers the 5 bands but all I have used it for is 10 meter AM.

So with a new toy, I dial around the 20 and 17 meter bands looking for someone to talk to because I know that 15, 12 and 10 are unreliable.  I have to tell you that the damn Yaesu is one of the most complicated rigs to operate I have ever seen.  So on 20 meters I am not hearing many stations at all.  17 is all but dead.

In years past 20 was like playing with alligators.  Just pick a frequency and make some noise and your ears would ring for days.  That isn't the case now.  Wonder where all those guys are?  I will be listening for you Steve. 

It's sometimes helpful to get a rough idea of the MUF for your particular area at some particular time of day. Here's one such chart. Of course, there are lots of variables that can affect what you hear or work at some particular day, time, and frequency. Being at the low point of the cycle doesn't help much either.
http://hfradio.org/fot_3.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »

Jim,

While I am an old AMer having been on the mode for many years, AM on the WARC bands of 17 and 12 meters really should not be used when the bands are really active.

Why, you ask...

The "phone" portion of these 100 kc wide bands is only 50 kc. Unless your AM signal has only one sideband (modified AM) the space you occupy is twice plus that of the SSB stations that use those frequencies.

Considering band edge protection of your AM signal, you could make the band completely full with 6 AM stations in there...

That, IMHO, does not shine a particularly good light on the AM community.

I do operate up there but with USB...

Ralph, W3GL.

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:26:59 PM »

Jim,

While I am an old AMer having been on the mode for many years, AM on the WARC bands of 17 and 12 meters really should not be used when the bands are really active.

Why, you ask...

The "phone" portion of these 100 kc wide bands is only 50 kc. Unless your AM signal has only one sideband (modified AM) the space you occupy is twice plus that of the SSB stations that use those frequencies.

Considering band edge protection of your AM signal, you could make the band completely full with 6 AM stations in there...

That, IMHO, does not shine a particularly good light on the AM community.

I do operate up there but with USB...

Ralph, W3GL.

Ralph, I didn't say anything about using AM on 12 or 17 meters.  I referenced tuning around the bands with the Yaesu, not my AM station of a GK 500A, or B&W 5100 or Globe Champ 300A.  I don't use a SS radio for AM.  As for shinging a good light on the AM community, it would be nice if we would not jump to conclusions and make assumptions.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:20:32 PM »

Jim,

Sorry I directed that at you, it was meant as a general observation only,
to the casual AM operators exploring the bands 20 meters and up hoping
to make an AM contact..

Your 1000Mp is, in itself, a very good AM radio out of the box and can put
out a good clean AM signal.

As I said, the post was just my opinion...  Those two bands have "phone"
sections and AM is okay, if one really wanted to use the mode.

Ralph, W3GL.

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:32:29 AM »

Hi Ralph ... dig that passport foto ... looks like my high school senior pix ... hone that Brylcreme shine ...beefus

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 09:43:14 AM »

I think Ralph looks more like a Vitalis man... no more of that greasy kid stuff....

* 46vitalis.jpg (39.51 KB, 400x520 - viewed 388 times.)

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 09:27:48 AM »

Ralph invented Vitalis while giving his '41 Dodge a lube job.  Grin

Glad to hear of more activity on the "dead" bands. I'll be hauling a tribander down to 4 Land next trip to set up, hoping to work you Steve and anyone else hanging out up thar. Would be nice to catch Brian 'LYD from Skagway sometime, his brother tells me he's due back in the area here soon.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KL7OF

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »

Yesterday afternoon 20 M AM....I worked 2 ricebox stations (Chicago area) and got a hit and run  complaint from a 0 station that "You are 40 over here and 20 kcs wide"  Condx were fair to mediocre...There is a lot of West coast SSB net activity on or around 14286 in the mornings that I won't \can't compete with... so I try to get on the radio in the afternoon....
K9ACT
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 10:46:43 AM »

Yesterday afternoon 20 M AM....I worked 2 ricebox stations (Chicago area) and got a hit and run  complaint from a 0 station that "You are 40 over here and 20 kcs wide"  Condx were fair to mediocre...There is a lot of West coast SSB net activity on or around 14286 in the mornings that I won't \can't compete with... so I try to take a radio break in the afternoon....

It's a whole different world at night.  The band seems dead or nearly so but I seem to be able to hook up with someone every night.  It's like 80 at noon.... no one dares complain about wide sigs.

I am still maintaining my 0315Z schedule, running my CQ robot till someone answers or 30 minutes.

I monitor WWV at 15 mHz and there seems no correllation between it's sig strength and band activity.  Sometimes it's in the noise and sometimes 40 over.

I don't tune the band other than to see if there is anyone on for data points. It seems more useful to be a lighthouse that people can listen for.

Jack K9ACT
Tim WA1HnyLR

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 08:34:17 AM »

When the WX cools down and I can't be busy with the usual daytime projects out doors I plan to spend much more time on 20 meters AM . I also operate on 18.150 on AM as well. A 6050Khz crapstal will work in most transmiiters(third harmonic). In the Junkston Ranger or valliant you will get outpoot on the 20 or 15 meter position. Maybe I will hear some of you all on 18.150 this Winter as well.
De Tim WA1HnyLR
KL7OF

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »

20 AM today...Worked W1ZD, Lock in Phoenix...A nice 1hr QSO Great path...Lock was using the BW 5100  @ 90 watts and 3 el beam...I used the PP 100th's x 813's at 375 watts and a wireloop.....Then W5JKO JIM from Texas  on the g-76 and  amp at 200 watts ..another good QSO.. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015