The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:16:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cat's biggest truck to crumple tanks like paper cups  (Read 6520 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: September 11, 2008, 11:05:46 PM »

Good grief...A ladder up the the bridge.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3aa86d027b-d933-42c1-ae21-c26c06f3ad58

1,375,000 pounds.  A 117-liter, 3550 hp V-24 engine moves the monster at speeds of up to 42 mph. Hauls 380 tons. The military is looking into using the things to squash other vehicles like bugs.

One heckofa pickup truck. I assume that it has power steering.

* cat.jpg (38.58 KB, 440x281 - viewed 465 times.)
W2JBL

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 12:32:18 AM »

looks just right for sweeping up the BMW's and Mercedes that hurtle down the Saw Mill Parkway here in NY in the morning driven by out of control people texting, cell-phoning, and applying makeup...
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:34:02 AM »

saw a special on Big Trucks on the one eyed monster ... using this one in mining ...most of the drivers were ladies ... wonder what would happen iffn had a flat ...beefus

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:41:26 AM »

The Cat 797 has been featured on Modern Marvels (History Channel) several times.
Yes Bill, it has power EVERYTHING! In one episode they interviewed as 62 yr old  grandma that's been driving one at a western copper mine since they first hit the scene.
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:01:23 AM »

I was in the Cat Decatur,IL plant a few years ago as one of the faculty providing an executive MBA program there.  This is where much of the mining division equipment is produced and at that point I believe a 300 ton truck was the largest one they produced.  One of the funniest comments occurred when one of my fellow profs asked why some people were walking through the line without hardhats on and the guide dryly observed that the part of the frame on the overhead conveyor on that part of the line weighed around 20 tons so a hardhat wouldn't offer much protection. 

Although Decatur is a very industrial town and generally the ambient odor is that of soybeans being processed if any of you find yourselves there both Caterpillar and ADM offer very interesting tour opportunities.  ADM (Archer Daniels Midland probably best known for their longstanding "Supermarket to the World" campaign) runs an interesting Tilapia (fish) and hydroponic vegetable operation as part of the grain processing facility and waste heat from the grain processing provides the heat for the fish farm and greenhouses while water and "waste" from the fish farm provides nutrients for the plants.  As I recall ADM also furnishes much of the heat for Millikin University from their excess heat also.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:34:52 AM »

ADM just a joke but I think of "Soilant Green" when ever I see ADM
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »

Soylent Corporation; feeding the world, one person at a time.

Soylent Corporation first introduced Soylent Yellow in 1999, and the break through protein cake has been a family favorite ever since. Combining the taste sensation of real seafood flavors with the latest in dietary science, Soylent Yellow is the only food you’ll ever need!

With the success of Soylent Yellow, Soylent Blue was introduced to an excited public in the spring of 2004. Unbelievable as it seems, the sweet, nutritious Soylent Blue was even more successful than Soylent Yellow. Sweet as a fresh apple, but with more dietary necessities per gram than any other food product, Soylent Blue is a classic treat that won’t be ignored! Now available in fifteen different forms for your maximum dining enjoyment and creativity!

The new and exciting Soylent Red was introduced in 2008, and has been a runaway success ever since. Combining the spicy taste of peppers with the mouth watering flavor of fine corn flour, Soylent Red is a staple in households all over the world.

We at Soylent Corporation are always excited to hear about the new and fascinating ways our customers find to prepare our products. If you have a favorite Soylent recipe, send it in for a chance to win a year’s supply of the classic Soylent flavor of your choice! Some restrictions may apply.* We want to hear from you!

For more information on our newest creation, the fantastic Soylent Green, please visit our new Soylent Green page!

http://www.rachelaaron.net/soylent/soygreen.html

What? Me worry?
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 02:15:24 PM »

Charleton Heston?

"Solyent Green is people!"

Arrrrghhh.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 11:06:42 PM »

No, I think it's GE , " People are our most important product" or somthing like that.... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
ka3zlr
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 06:22:17 AM »

Wonder how the drivers feel about this, looks like more good paying jobs on the outs to me, and on the owners side of the issue a total autonomous mining operation...Hey way cool, No labor issues, No benefit packages to be concerned about, put up the antenna, put the toys on the ground and walk away...

On today's battlefield environment, insurgence and counter insurgence...where's the need..? it's mostly street to street...point to point execution...a machine of this scale in Baghdad...LOL... I guess we could put it in the desert and let it roam around looking for points of opportunity...perimeter patrol...something...it'd be a Support night mare...LOL....

I like some of the autonomous Aircraft...now there's real advantage....

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »

We already have autonomous ham radio - seen a contest grade station lately?

Pretty soon the stations will be working one another without human intervention and they will no doubt develop egos - the rise of the contest grade stations!

Back on the big truck- But does it have a power mic? - sure can get those mirror mount co-phased CB whips up in the air on that beast - CAWMON!

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »

Co-phased?   You mean Bi-phased?  Grin Cawmon.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 10:59:40 AM »

" Co-phased?   You mean Bi-phased?  Grin Cawmon. "

Pikers.

What ya need fer that 'rig' is a Sturba Curtain........

klc

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »

A recently-deceased uncle was a quarry man for decades here in the VT granite industry. They used a truck similar to this one called the Euclid with a huge dump body, high cab, massive tires. They had signs on the highway and flashing lights during the weeks when they were transporting grout across the road to be crushed for driveway stay-mat and similar. Seems he told me they did this because the trucks had no brakes and could only gear down to slow down. They came down off a hill, across roared across the road, and disappeared from sight.

Of course, those 'huge' trucks then would probably sit in the dump body of this big Cat. But at the time (1960s), they were about the biggest truck around, mighty impressive to a kid who liked anything with wheels.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015