The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:12:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 15109 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 09:46:28 AM »

Lest we overlook the most bulletproof OS ever developed..
Novell Netware, RIP.

We had Netware servers running for years without the need to reboot or do anything with them.

I heard one of our corporate locations had a Pentium Pro Netware office server running continuously for 10 years. When they went to update it no one could find it; it was found in what used to be a small closet that had been drywalled over.

IIRC, the US Postal Service is still on Novell.

Beat *that*, Windows.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »

Netware kinda lives on in OES. Comparing a specialty network operating system like Netware to general purpose operating systems is not really a legitimate comparison. Most embedded controller OSes NEVER crash. But you wouldn't want to compare them to Windows or Linux either.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »

True, Steve..I can't forget that I never had to put up with as much BS with Novell than I've had to do with Microsoft and their servers. Not to mention Novell had a much smaller memory and processor footprint than Microsoft's stuff. Sigh...

-Bill, CNA

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 01:36:37 PM »

True that. You can thank the OS and the well behaved programs running on it for that stability.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 03:43:09 AM »

Lest we overlook the most bulletproof OS ever developed..
Novell Netware, RIP.

We had Netware servers running for years without the need to reboot or do anything with them.

I heard one of our corporate locations had a Pentium Pro Netware office server running continuously for 10 years. When they went to update it no one could find it; it was found in what used to be a small closet that had been drywalled over.

IIRC, the US Postal Service is still on Novell.

Beat *that*, Windows.

VMS is still alive, where the cost is justified, and has uptime measured in decades. That story sounds alot like the true Scottish Railyard story, except it was a VAX drywalled in, with no ventilation and a layer of dust on it. Was the Novell O/S subject to hackers at any time? My money is on VMS for bulletproof.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »

VMS is still alive, where the cost is justified, and has uptime measured in decades. That story sounds alot like the true Scottish Railyard story, except it was a VAX drywalled in, with no ventilation and a layer of dust on it. Was the Novell O/S subject to hackers at any time? My money is on VMS for bulletproof.
Back when I was working for Four-Phase Systems we found one of our servers installed in a stall in the men's room.  That's not the same as being dry walled in but it deserves some credit for surviving in a gaseous environment.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015