The AM Forum
June 03, 2024, 05:33:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Brunch, 10 a.m. Clinton NJ Saturday November 8, 2008  (Read 8478 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: August 30, 2008, 08:13:27 AM »

Another AM rendezvous - this time a 10 a.m. meet time at the Cracker Barrel restaurant off of Exit 15 of I-78 Clinton NJ, Saturday November 8, 2008.

The Cracker Barrel adjoins the Hampton Inn off of Route 513 next to the Walmart Plaza.  This is on the south side of I-78.

A few more details will be mentioned with the Announcements section posting:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=17000.0

Two other meeting spots have been tried also - Cabela's west of Allentown PA, Shady Maple Smorgasbord NE of Lancaster PA and I am considering at the Old Country Buffet in late February near the Willow Grove Exit 343 of the PA turnpike, north of Philadelphia.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
wa2dtw

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »

Tom
Sounds like a great idea.  But could it be done about 2 hours later (i.e. lunch) to accomodate folks who are traveling from more of a distance?
Steve WA2DTW
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:11:04 AM »

Hi Steve,

Well I hate to shoot a big hole in the whole day by meeting at lunchtime.  Also, meeting at the peak meal time at a restaurant is not good. That's why I like the 10  - 10:15 a.m. rendezvous time this time.  This is also to accommodate Don W2DL’s earlier Saturday obligation. 

The two breakfasts we had at Shady Maple Smorgasbord at 8 a.m. were good and Don W2DL came from quite far away.  Don deserves an award for making every get-together so far and it is quite a trek from Blairstown NJ to East Earl PA.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 09:23:41 AM »

Sunday, October 12, 2008
An update on the Clinton NJ AM gathering:

Chet WB2AHK is planning to attend.  Chet will be driving from Long Island.  Contact Chet via wb2ahk@aol.com if you want to carpool along.
Nick KG2IR may come with Chet. 
Gary W1GHW may rendezvous with Chet’s carpool a little way out from Long Island.
Phil K2PG has also expressed interest in attending.
I presume that Don W2DL, Ken W2DTC, and Stu AB2EZ will attend.
Joe N3IBX might attend.
And of course I will be there.

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 05:58:25 PM »

I am expecting around a dozen of you at this point.

Watch out for the newly formed potholes on I-78.  We had a foot of snow there last Tuesday.

Don, W2DL

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:10:14 PM »

Hi Tom,

Looks like the AM Brunch on Nov.8 is on for me, I didn't know for sure until yesterday if I would have anything to do at school early that day, we play inthe oldest school football rivalry in NJ (Blair Academy vs. Peddie school) later that day but 10:15 AM is just fine for brunch.

See you then, sounds like a larger than usual group will be attending.

Don, W2DL

Don, W2DL
57years a ham!!
ve6pg

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:37:47 PM »

...hey tom...u gonna be on 160 this winter?....sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 01:07:24 PM »

Hi Don,

Glad to hear you will be there.  Yes, I will have to contact the restaurant now as it looks like we will have a dozen or slightly more.  C U then.

Others planning to attend also:
Mark K2DGM
Mike W2GEZ
Stephanie WX3K
possibly John WB2YGF (mentored by Irb)
Steve WA2DTW

Hi Tim,

I'm on 1885 all year round.  There are good evening gatherings lately and a group of north-east fellows have been on every morning before dawn for quite a while.

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »

I see that the corresponding post in the Announcements section has been deleted before the event has occurred!

I have gone back to my raw Word document and am re-posting the Announcements section travel information here.

The Cracker Barrel Restaurant adjoins the Hampton Inn off of Route 513 next to the Walmart Plaza.  This is on the south side of I-78.

I-78 Exit 15 is available both east and westbound.  The actual mile marker is 16.   Watch out for pot holes in this area, in spite of the re-surfacing work going on in the area.

When coming westbound to exit 15, the off-ramp (get in the left-hand lane of the off-ramp) brings you to a traffic light at Route 513 and 173.  Make a left turn at this light and go south on 513.  Do not make the first left which is the access ramp for I-78 eastbound!  Continue south and make the second left onto Frontage Drive which is the road to the Walmart Plaza, Hampton Inn and Cracker Barrel.  Turn right at the second driveway (the first driveway on the right is for the shopping center only).

When coming eastbound on I-78 to exit 15, the off-ramp brings you to a fork, take the left fork and left turn to go south on 513.  Make the next left onto Frontage Drive which is the road to the Walmart Plaza, Hampton Inn and Cracker Barrel.  Turn right at the second driveway (the first driveway on the right is for the shopping center only).

I will be on 146.52 FM from the car, coming east from Exit 60 of I-78 in the Allentown PA area. It is about a 50 minute drive for me to the Clinton Cracker Barrel.

N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:23:24 PM »

Sorry about that, Tom.  This section is set to purge posts after 30 days.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »

Whiskey Vermouth 3 Olives,

Thanks for the explanation Jay.  I assume that you will not be at the brunch tomorrow.  But it would be nice if you were.   Hope to hear you on more now that baze-e-bawl is over.

_._

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »

WA3KLR cell phone - 267-374-7628.

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »

The first AM rendezvous at the Clinton NJ Cracker Barrel restaurant was a success. 

We had 14 in attendance:

From Long Island - Chet WB2AHK, Joe WA2USJ, Hal K6DPZ, and Gary W1GHW (who carpooled from Conn.),
Steve WA2DTW,
John WB2YGF and his wife Barb N2ZKA,
Phil K2PG,
Stephanie WX3K,
Don W2DL,
Mike W2GEZ,
Mark K2DGM,
Ken W2DTC (AM Photographer Laureate),
et moi Tom WA3KLR.

Thanks to everyone for taking the effort to come to the restaurant.  Ken W2DTC will be posting photos later.

* http://w2dtc.com/2008-1108-am-brunch-page.htm

I am planning yet another new meeting place at the Old Country Buffet in the Warrington area of PA, north of the Willow Grove exit of the PA turnpike.  The property now a large shopping center, is where the Bucks County Drive-in used to be, where the great PackRats hamfests used to be held.  This will be in later February.

WB2YGF
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 04:44:28 PM »

The first AM rendezvous at the Clinton NJ Cracker Barrel restaurant was a success. 

We had 14 in attendance:
John WB2YGF and his wife N2ZXA...
FYI, Barb's call is N2ZKA

We both had a great time. Grin

Thanks Tom for putting this together.

John
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 05:19:52 PM »

You're welcome John.   Sorry about the mistake in Barb's call. 
Thanks for coming.
_._

wb1aij
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 12:40:05 PM »

After the breakfast you all can go visit the "Haunted Mansion" in Annandale. It is about 2 miles east of where the breakfast is being held on "Old Allerton Rd." It is only about 1/2 mile south of the highway 78 across the road from a huge church up on a high hill. Back in February I was working in a place called "N.U. Labs" on old Allerton Rd. & I went by it. It is a beautiful old Victorian brick mansion, abandoned & overgrown but intact. Next to it is an old,old abandoned bowling alley which is also a very interesting structure. Both VERY SCARY at night. Go there.... if you dare.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 11:25:11 AM »

I've been told that the latest issue of Electric Radio has a photo of the AM Brunch group.  Enjoy!

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 08:23:08 PM »

Sounds like you all had a fantastic morning.   Wish I wasn't half way out to the midwest.  Grin

Uh, ...your reaching the critical mass where an AM STATION might be in order.
Hey, you had more than the last Gathersburg, don'cha know.
Remember W3PRL?  W3F?

Great Sctchuff.

RICK  *W3RSW*
wa2zdy
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 07:57:19 PM »

I've been told that the latest issue of Electric Radio has a photo of the AM Brunch group.  Enjoy!

I'm glad this thread got bumped up; I saw the photo in ER and was wondering where the meeting had been.  Were I in NJ, I'd  have had my wife drive me there.  My father and I have eaten in that Crackerbarrel several times. 

I WAS in NJ for the snow mentioned by KLR.  Almost 45 years I lived in NJ and I don't remember ever seeing snow in October.  After being away 2½ years, I visit and voila - snow.  Can I tell you how much  I hate snow??!!

Y'all look cold in the photo.  Glad you had a good time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015