The AM Forum
June 26, 2024, 05:17:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No more (non-radio) politics allowed on QRZ.com  (Read 12002 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: August 01, 2008, 11:51:32 PM »

Along with the demise of the PJ forum, we will also institute a "no political discussion" rule site-wide. That's right, a complete gag-order against talk of politics of any kind throughout the QRZ forums, other than items of legislation pertaining directly to amateur radio.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:36 PM »

Hmmm ... too many  flame wars, I guess. Good to see QRZ finally catching up to The AM Forum. AMers always lead the way (or was that Rangers).
AMroo
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 07:06:07 AM »

We dont  allow our selfs to say what we think. That is our weak piont.
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:52:47 AM »

Welp, it is Election time.."YUK"..This period of time is getting to be nothing but Exchange Day it's a shame sometimes ah well......Obviously Our Site, Membership, Managers, Guests, "here", see's through the Pointless bantering and continue with the Worthy.

That in itself Says it all I think...I've always Admired that.

73 jack.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »

One of the reasons for those flame wars is that some people insist that every human social interaction must be based on a political ideology, either one they espouse, or one they abhor. Always black or white, never any grey area.

This board is not immune. It often creeps into topics that started out not even remotely related to politics.

Goddam communist sidebanders!

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 09:59:18 AM »

Often times when allowed here though, when there is a real point to be related, debated, a learning takes place and that is a big plus Don, the better of this System.

And our Country is polarized I think, Not what I wanted...sigh...

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »

Hmmm... Polar-ized?

North Pole - South Pole?
Plus - Minus?
Electrolytic - Film/Oil??

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 02:38:58 PM »

Well, when you think about it, less than a century and a half ago, United States-ese were shooting at each other, leading directly or indirectly, to as many as 700,000 deaths.  It is miraculous that this country managed to hold itself together as one nation, regardless of outcomes on the battlefield, and that the polarisation that exists to-day is no more intense than it is.

In central Europe, the Middle East and othter parts of the world, there is still seething hatred that dates back to battles fought centuries, even more than a millennium ago. Every now and again it boils over and ruptures the thin veneer of modern-day unity and tolerance, as we all know recently occurred in places like the former Yugoslavia, Lebanon and Iraq.

- - -
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »

Granted....   all the preceeding,
..but once you take the edge off a site, it takes a long time to regain it's former glory. I've seen it happen to Miata.net., among others.

Bans of any sort seem to insult most reasonably intelligent people.

We (ahem) seem to be the only ones immune to common disturbance for the most part.  Occasionally someone gets a little bent out of shape... but like the ol' VW dealers used to say, "they always come back."

ok, I know of a few exceptions, but not much time has elapsed since 'they' left.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 08:53:13 PM »

Excellent perspective Don. This country is probably less polarized than during most of its history. All this red/blue state stuff from the new media is garbage. Read about some of the elections in the early 1800 with Jefferson, Adams, and Jackson. Real nasty stuff compared to the softball elections we have today.

Well, when you think about it, less than a century and a half ago, United States-ese were shooting at each other, leading directly or indirectly, to as many as 700,000 deaths.  It is miraculous that this country managed to hold itself together as one nation, regardless of outcomes on the battlefield, and that the polarisation that exists to-day is no more intense than it is.

In central Europe, the Middle East and othter parts of the world, there is still seething hatred that dates back to battles fought centuries, even more than a millennium ago. Every now and again it boils over and ruptures the thin veneer of modern-day unity and tolerance, as we all know recently occurred in places like the former Yugoslavia, Lebanon and Iraq.
WQ9E

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 09:25:45 PM »

Fortunately growing up in Mississippi I was quickly desensitized to a lot of the political garbage.  The old saying in MS was if you hear shouting on election day hit the dirt because the bullets may soon start to fly.  The last time I was in the state for a major election one of the candidates for gov hired an African-American transvestite prostitute to claim that he was the long time secret lover of the other candidate.  I used to be embarrassed by Mississippi politics but living in Illinois for nearly 20 years has cured me of that.

It does bother me that many in our country have this sort of "win the football game" mentality of party politics and we would be much better off as a country taking the long-term view but that doesn't seem to be part of our cultural makeup.  Campaigns designed by market research and competing mass media outlets don't make for good long term outcomes for the country.  Also in my perfect world radio hosts who thrive on raising anger levels would have to do their broadcasts while standing barefoot in a transmitter room with rapidly rising water levels.

Rodger WQ9E
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 11:06:08 PM »

It does bother me that many in our country have this sort of "win the football game" mentality of party politics and we would be much better off as a country taking the long-term view but that doesn't seem to be part of our cultural makeup.  Campaigns designed by market research and competing mass media outlets don't make for good long term outcomes for the country.  Also in my perfect world radio hosts who thrive on raising anger levels would have to do their broadcasts while standing barefoot in a transmitter room with rapidly rising water levels.

Here is where it all, particularly the commercial and political radio and TV advertising we see and hear to-day, got its start.
http://www.wfmu.org/LCD/GreatDJ/Brinkley.html

More on the life of Dr. Brinkley
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/brinkley.html

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »

Also in my perfect world radio hosts who thrive on raising anger levels would have to do their broadcasts while standing barefoot in a transmitter room with rapidly rising water levels.

Why not TV hosts, writers and producers too? Are you biased against radio? I say take away your ham license for such treason.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 12:14:20 AM »

I won't miss the politics. The main objects there are the radio mods and to take the practice exams for amusement.

Radio Candelstein
ka3zlr
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 08:34:43 AM »

Not much use for Zed here or yeeHawHam, look in on once in awhile maybe use the Equipment surveys, but that's about it.

So much more is accomplished here, Building etc. there's nothing wrong with Polotics it's really, a personality issue i imagine, oh well, it's their problem to handle..

Much more comfortable right here, an definitely more interesting discussions...no need for market research..gotta question it'll get answered.
WQ9E

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 08:50:09 AM »

Why not TV hosts, writers and producers too? Are you biased against radio? I say take away your ham license for such treason.

Steve,

Yes, you are right-take away the visual media also.  But talk radio came to mind first because I often go running on a paved trail that runs near the university and it is frequented by a little old lady on a bicycle who is hard of hearing and listens to Rush on her radio at levels that sound like a 70's rock concert.  This definitely takes away some of the relaxation of running being exposed to the radio version of "professional wrasslin".

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »

Everyone has their tastes. Rush is rather mild as talk shows go.  Just remember what may make you angry makes someone else happy. It's what freedom of speech is all about. That said, I don't need to hear what others are listening to because they have to play is so loudly. These days is mostly youngster going deaf listening to rap.

Just kidding about revoking your ham license.

Steve,

Yes, you are right-take away the visual media also.  But talk radio came to mind first because I often go running on a paved trail that runs near the university and it is frequented by a little old lady on a bicycle who is hard of hearing and listens to Rush on her radio at levels that sound like a 70's rock concert.  This definitely takes away some of the relaxation of running being exposed to the radio version of "professional wrasslin".

Rodger WQ9E
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 01:25:01 PM »

I don't think talk radio accomplishes much.  Whether Hot-Air America or Lush Limburger, they are all pretty much preaching to their own choir.  I doubt that many political opinions are swayed by their ranting.  Kinda like carrying on a AM vs slopbucket debate on this forum.

The same was true with the now-defunct political forum on QRZ.com.  But some of the political trolls did produce amusing and occasionally interesting discussions.  Too bad the flaming and whining got out of hand.

Not a tremendous lot stuff of interest on their radio related forums.  Mostly discussions about plastic radios, code vs no-code, contests, ham radio vs CB, and technical discussions at the level of how to construct a dipole.  Much of the same sort of drivel that replaced the technical articles that used to appear in QST.

I don't know if it's particularly a QRZ.com thing or if it's more pervasive throughout the present-day amateur community, but many of the participants must think the word "ham" in "ham radio" is some kind of acronym.  It tends to be spelt all upper case: HAM radio instead of ham radio, I got my HAM or I got into HAM instead of I got my ham licence.

And a quick way to stir up a big wasp nest is to point out someone's spelling errors or improper use of grammar.

- - -
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »

Ham

and, ARRL Book Title:
ARRL General Class Course For HAM RADIO Licensing

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 03:42:36 PM »

So the original intent of 'ham' might likely have meant ham fisted, or a really lousy American Morse sender.

I've heard that before and makes sense before any other method of wired or wireless was commonly used.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 08:34:10 PM »

I've heard that one of the original meanings was also in the term of someone "Hamming it up" or showing off for a group.  As operators would try to be more flamboyant or send faster than they could receive in an effort to show off.  (someone showing off == what a ham!) 

Anyway I think the ham-fisted part sounds more likely though.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 10:11:52 PM »

The origin of the word has been debated since the early days of amateur radio, and everyone has his pet theory, very few of which hold water.  But until recently, it was always spelt in lower case.

- - -
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 11:00:53 PM »

So the original intent of 'ham' might likely have meant ham fisted, or a really lousy American Morse sender.
I've heard that before and makes sense before any other method of wired or wireless was commonly used.

Yes!

My favorite story is the name "ham" being coined by the OT Morse telegraph ops.  Back in the early 1900's, a morse telegraph job was a FB position for a young lad.  The new surge of young hams meant ready-made basic CW skills, but were no match for the crusty OT's already on the job. The OT's in the shop would refer to the newbies as, "ham and eggers" and the name stuck. 

Ham and egger used to be a common slang phrase to mean an ordinary person, or possibly a JSer or amateur of any profession. (He said, "amateur"... :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 09:42:50 AM »

Speaking of spelling Don, I love your McGuffy's 'spelt.' 
Very period..  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 10:29:24 AM »

I thought it had something to do with slab bacon.

Talk radio accomplishes as much as any other radio or TV program. The idea that those who listen or watch are of one mind is silly.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015