The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:22:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boatanchors Know No Bounds...  (Read 18345 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 06:46:14 PM »

$100 Finder's Fee awarded to whomever locates an original round "Monitor"-type compressor/evaporator unit that fits on top (it currently runs off a remote unit in another room). Of course, much more if you happen to have one. I bet Jared has several kicking around in his garage...

I have a ca-1930 G-E Monitor Top fridge.  It ran until about 2 years ago, when the compressor apparently blew a seal.  Now the motor runs, but no cooling.  I am hoping to run into someone sometime who can fix it.  I won't try to tackle it myself, since the refrigerant is sulphur dioxide - nasty stuff.

When it ran, I used it as the shack's beer cooler.  Now it serves as a storage cabinet for "stuff".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »

Parker Cunningham, W8HotelSugarCharlie ( silent mike ) built a 500 watt rig into a 1940's refrigerator that was 100% operational. He showed me the pictures of it when I went out to see him in Romney 10+ years ago. used 810's and 813's. One of the pictures had bottles of beer inside it. he used it in the 1950's.

I bet all his gear went to the dump. Cry  R390A and a Apache.
kb3qay
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 06:21:36 AM »

Hey Derb! Sounds like a great project weekend at your place this weekend - Hope all goes well. Had a moment this morning on the way to work when I passed Frank (AHE) on I-95! That personalized plate gave him away!! 73's - JIM KB3QAY
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 07:07:36 AM »

Todd,
       I love your 1926 GE fridge, but man, that's one "bitchin" Lincoln! It's the first I've seen pics of it and it looks outstanding!

We used to call that series of Lincolns the "Water Buffalo" due to their sunken headlights. The Caddys' of that period (1949-1951) were pretty kewl too, but I think the Lincolns outclass them with their suicide rear doors and unique styling, even for that period. Not to mention the roar of a big flathead V8. I noticed you have dual exhaust on it. Do you have regular mufflers, or something that would give a little bit of a bark when you put your foot in it?

Ah, the smell of the interior, the feel of the massive steering wheel, and the roar and torque of a big flathead V8 when you put your foot in it. A multi-sensual extravaganza of mid-century-modern.  A interaction of art, physics and history that comes to life when you turn the key. It just doesn't get any better than that!

Have fun and best regards.
                                    Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 08:22:43 AM »

Hey Derb! Sounds like a great project weekend at your place this weekend - Hope all goes well. Had a moment this morning on the way to work when I passed Frank (AHE) on I-95! That personalized plate gave him away!! 73's - JIM KB3QAY

Just goes to prove ya never know whooze watchin!! Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 09:45:39 AM »

We used to call that series of Lincolns the "Water Buffalo" due to their sunken headlights.

Yep, Bathtub was another (before the Porsche 356 came along), and the one that many seem to favor but makes no sense to me: Baby Lincoln. This thing has a truck frame and axle under it, that the 337 was the same engine they used in their trucks with slightly altered compression. What is 'baby' about that??

Ah, the smell of the interior, the feel of the massive steering wheel, and the roar and torque of a big flathead V8 when you put your foot in it. A multi-sensual extravaganza of mid-century-modern.  A interaction of art, physics and history that comes to life when you turn the key. It just doesn't get any better than that!

Especially when it doesn't have power steering. Wink But when you get that thing up to speed on the interstate, it purrs like a big cat and floats along the blacktop. Just be sure to start thinking about it a mile or so before you want to stop or turn. It was found in a barn down in Mass, parked since the early 70s with a little over 31K on the clock. The guy who sold it to us was going to chop it, but decided it was just too nice of an original to mess up. He did add dual exhaust, but that was the extent of the mods.

Carl - it may very well end up in NC. We've been messing with getting the radiator rebuilt for the last 2 years (all copper and brass), wasn't a high priority until recently. I have some NOS chrome to replace worn and pitted trim, vacuum wiper motor needs to be rebuilt, along with the 6v radio. Hoping to have it ready to drive to Deerfield. We can probably fit 8 people into it for the AM dinner, more if we use the trunk. 

There's a crew, a gang, a mob, coming up this weekend to get my W7FG antenna in the air.

Good deal! I'll watch for a dull red glow in the sky as we fly home the following week. Looking forward to joining the Mid-Atlantic Group and being able to hear Warren's 610 without so much QRN between us.

* lincolndoors.jpg (106.12 KB, 870x653 - viewed 405 times.)

* lincolnengine.jpg (141.11 KB, 870x653 - viewed 409 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »

Jared, I have a question about modern fridges. 

I have a Sears Kenmore fridge, about 20 years old.  The defrost function has crapped out on it. It uses a solid-state  microprocessor controlled controller thermostat.      Can this be repaired, or should I just replace the whole thing with an extenal module, and what would I look for?

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W1EUJ
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 11:43:39 AM »

I had a drier problem, but in general, if you call the Sears parts line, you can get replacement parts for appliances directly.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »

Jared, I have a question about modern fridges. 

I have a Sears Kenmore fridge, about 20 years old.  The defrost function has crapped out on it. It uses a solid-state  microprocessor controlled controller thermostat.      Can this be repaired, or should I just replace the whole thing with an extenal module, and what would I look for?

You might be able to get a replacement part for it, but being that old, this may be an issue. Post model and serial #'s off the tag and I'll look in my Sears Kenwood manuals and see if there's a print for it.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W2JTD

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 01:54:39 PM »

Daddy told me
Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop driving that
hot
rod
Lincoln.

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »

Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen did the best version, IMO. Has a strong Texas Swing sound to it. Good tune. Smiley

Before I forget again Paul, are you still planning to make Deerfield this fall? If so, I'll bring along those 40s-50s radios for your project. If not - I'll bring 'em anyway and pawn them off on 'ZRF and Pam to pass of when they see you next.

I have a ca-1930 G-E Monitor Top fridge.  It ran until about 2 years ago, when the compressor apparently blew a seal.  Now the motor runs, but no cooling.  I am hoping to run into someone sometime who can fix it.  I won't try to tackle it myself, since the refrigerant is sulphur dioxide - nasty stuff.

Don, here's a link to the Smokstak BBS with a thread about someone with a similar issue. Came across it last week looking for a replacement condenser unit. There are several suggestions listed by members, as well as the final result from the owner. Sounds like you could give most of them a try without a lot of hassle. From what I've read, they were notorious for sticky valves that resulted in the effect you describe. Could still be toast, but these suggestions cost nothing to try. They are pretty durable units, with many still working some 70+ years later.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49521

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »

You might be able to get a replacement part for it, but being that old, this may be an issue. Post model and serial #'s off the tag and I'll look in my Sears Kenwood manuals and see if there's a print for it.

Here ya go...
Model #: C646-8088080
S/N:   6EC12311

Hopefully, you can find something.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 05:00:39 PM »

Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen.....

yeah they did do the best version by far. They gave it a Buck Owens Bakersfield twang with a Telecaster. Strats are fine for rock and what not, but nothin sounds like a Telecaster for blues and twang music.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 02:25:27 PM »

Here ya go...
Model #: C646-8088080
S/N:   6EC12311

Hopefully, you can find something.

OK, got it. I'll look this one up in more detail, but off hand, the book lists it as a regular old top freezer deal (C646 series was manufactured at the whirlpool plant) and in the long run, any parts may cost more than the fridge is worth to just replace.

I'll do some poking around and see what I can find.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 01:42:26 AM »

Near Tele heaven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ljrPfsa50&feature=related

Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen.....

yeah they did do the best version by far. They gave it a Buck Owens Bakersfield twang with a Telecaster. Strats are fine for rock and what not, but nothin sounds like a Telecaster for blues and twang music.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015