The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:16:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: unbalancing open wire feeders  (Read 6478 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: July 22, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »

heres the deal: I have 2 pvc pipes going from inside to outside the house. One has a cable tv (RG-6) line going through it, length maybe 3~4 inches long, the other has the ground system wires going through it. maybe #000 at that point.  They break out to stranded #6 with soldered split nut connections on both inside and out.

?: if I feed one wire of the 600 ohm W7FG feeders through he 3~4 inches next to the ground will it unbalance the line to be noticeable enough on the air or make the stealth edition matchbox break a sweat trying to tune the thing?  I could drill 2 more holes in the house but I'm trying not to. if I have to do it I will.

might be one of those ?s that cant be answered until you try it? Thought I would ask anyway.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »

The balanced lines should not be next to anything metallic, coax cables, etc. You would be defeating the purpose of a balanced line.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:20:40 PM »

Tim,

Yeah, what he said!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »

yeah, but just 3 to 4 inches worth?  Thats really enough to unbalance the line?

alternative: I could feed 450 ohm line out one of the holes without anything in it ( I'd pull the cable for the cable tv out) and join it up to the other W7FG 600 ohm line outside. I presume that would be better. There would be a small bump in the line of course but I'm presuming the tuner would handle that OK. The ladder line is much easier to handle inside the house.

To feed the W7FG antenna in the house requires drilling 2  1 1/2" more holes in the house. I can do it ok, but it's a hassle.

Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 07:41:19 PM »

Tim,

I installed a W7FG 80 meter doublet here 6 years ago. I use bee hived feed threw assemblies here and I haven't had a single problem. Rain, snow, wind, winter or summer the performance is predictably the same.

My feed line runs very close to aluminum siding for some 20 feet with no ill effects wet or dry. You can expect similar results.

Going threw that PVC might be a problem BUT like you said
might be one of those ?s that cant be answered until you try it?
it might not. If the spacing is close to the 600 ohm standard just give it a try.

Be aware the failure event could be heat and smoke, or worse. I would advise a bee hived all thread feed threw.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 09:50:38 PM »

Timmy,

A short run of that 450 ohm crappy brown stuff will be fine...

The posability of fire and smoke is there if the close (3 to 4 inch)
association is near a voltage max on the line.  Don't take a chance...

The big flash box should be very happy working into the 450 stuff
and you will still be balanced.

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:29:43 AM »

10-4. I got to go through that big assed switch MOP gave me, that will make a nice changeover point from 450 to 600.
Tim WA1HnyLR

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 11:26:40 PM »

Hi Derb,
 Having a short run 6-8"of one side of the open wire feed system should not materially effect anything when it comes to imbalancing the line.If you are concerned in any way simply take two equal lengths of coass .Run each length through the PVC pipe . Tie the braids together at each end. If the Junkston flashbox is located close to the area of exit tie the braids to the ground stud on the flashbox . Tie your ground wire to the braids on the outside . SLather on the Goop to seal up the somebitch.
De Tim WA1HnyLR
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 01:10:12 AM »

Yeah, as Tim says, Coax works too ifen you want to mess with it but if the 450 line will pass through the unobstructed tube, go for it!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:36:15 AM »

yeah, then if you want to keep it centered and sealed too, try a can of foam insulation stuff you spray into elect. boxes for wind proofing, like whipped cream that rises. -  test it out for conductivity first though. don't want a short. ho,ho.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015