The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:04:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any tips on Hammarlund HX 50 xmtr ops and mods?  (Read 2930 times)
af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« on: July 21, 2008, 05:25:01 PM »

I now own an Hammarlund HX 50 xmtr, waiting for it to be shipped. Anyone have experience with this rig? What mods did the HX 50A have compared to the HX 50? Is adding 160 m a huge project?

It is a tube AM CW SSB rig which I believe uses an xtal filter for SSB gen rather than phasing. Is it a decent AM rig?

I bought it mostly just to have a Hammarlund xmtr mate for my HQ 180, but want to make the most of it.

Any tips or info much appreciated.

AF6IM
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:21:04 PM »

No experience with the HX-50 in particular, but I've converted a number of slopbucket rigs to hifi AM and it's pretty easy.

You bypass the crystal filter (on BOTH ends!!) with 2 small relays.  Feed audio right to the balanced mudulator, adjust the carrier balance for about 1/4 the rated carrier output, and you're pretty much done.

Many rigs, even if they have an AM mode, still have the crystal filter in circuit which essentially gives you a carrier and 1 crummy sounding sideband.  Bypassing the filter and audio circuits, which are tailored for the 300-3000 hz response necessary to keep artifacts out of the filter, are all necessary for hifi AM.  You gotta be careful though because with no lowpass audio filtering, the rig might pass 100KHz right straight thru, so be sure you have an EQ with good HF cutoff.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 07:06:44 PM »

The factory issued several service bulletins on this rig. Cleaned the rig up with the HX-50A. Probably not worth the effort for 160 conversion.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Any idea where I could get a copy of the HX 50 service bulletins? Looking forward to getting on HF AM.

AF6IM
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015