The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZoneAlarm incompatibility with Micro$oft update.  (Read 16325 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: July 10, 2008, 11:56:21 PM »

This morning I tried to access the internet, but all I could get was a an error message  that the server was taking too long to respond.  I thought it was some problem with the ISP, so I waited a few hours and the same thing.  So I called technical support, and got a recorded message saying that due to an incompatibility with a M$ update, that users of ZoneAlarm security suite may not be able to connect to the net. Although I am not using the security suite I am using the free ZoneAlarm firewall.

I turned off ZoneAlarm and activated the Windows XP firewall and sure enough, my connectivity was restored.  I called the ISP and contacted a live human and they said it was a conflict between the M$ software on my computer and ZoneAlarm, and gave me a number to call.  But when I called the number I got a "no lines available" message.  The lady at the ISP said they had been getting "lots of calls" at tech support regarding this issue.

I did install a routine security update to WinXP last night before turning off the computer. 

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K7LYF

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:39:20 AM »

Don, I have the same problem here. I have the luxury of another computer and have been using that today. I noticed it about the same time as you. after a MS update. Off and on today as I had time I rechecked all my settings and they were as they should be. That box is the only one I have Zone Alarm on. Thanks for the heads up on Zone Alarm.

mike
Ott

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:10:25 AM »

This morning I tried to access the internet, but all I could get was a an error message  that the server was taking too long to respond.  I thought it was some problem with the ISP, so I waited a few hours and the same thing.  So I called technical support, and got a recorded message saying that due to an incompatibility with a M$ update, that users of ZoneAlarm security suite may not be able to connect to the net. Although I am not using the security suite I am using the free ZoneAlarm firewall.

I turned off ZoneAlarm and activated the Windows XP firewall and sure enough, my connectivity was restored.  I called the ISP and contacted a live human and they said it was a conflict between the M$ software on my computer and ZoneAlarm, and gave me a number to call.  But when I called the number I got a "no lines available" message.  The lady at the ISP said they had been getting "lots of calls" at tech support regarding this issue.

I did install a routine security update to WinXP last night before turning off the computer. 

Evening Don...

This explains all: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

Option #1 worked but did the download/install anyway and all is working well again...
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:13:43 AM »

people still messing around with windows? Huh
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:44:43 AM »

Just download the latest copy of zone alarm and install.

Or just set zone alarm to the "medium" setting.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 08:50:30 AM »

I found ZoneAlarm quirky in my laptop. Sooo, I ditched it and installed Deluxe Shield 2008.
And yes,.,,,,,,,a lot of people still use M$. I/WE can't get off the M$ Teat. Very convenient. Installing software doesn't turn into DOS days. I HAD UBUNTU Linux OS and too many spacey weird terms to use to navigate through. I'm  just in a rut with M$, it works.
I do not have any patience with computers to begin with. I'm not impressed with this technology, but use it a lot for Ham radio, producing a radio show, and programming Kenwood radios at work. AND enjoying this AMFONE place.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 09:26:54 AM »

Same here, on July 9. Updated and  no internet access! Called Microsoft, who told me that they were starting to get calls about their new  updates (who at that point, hadn't figured out the problem yet).  Spent 3 hours with the MS guy, till we figured out that it was a wonky update, so we removed it.   Later I get an email from MS indicating that it's a ZoneAlarm problem, and that downloading a fresh new ZA update would cure the problem.
I did that, and reinstalled the update and voila,  it all works.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 09:30:17 AM »

Evening Don...

This explains all: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

Option #1 worked but did the download/install anyway and all is working well again...

I did the download/install and the problem is gone.

I use Windows XP.  M$ finally got it right with this OS.  For years I struggled with Windows 95.  It was unstable and flaky, and I would get at least 2 blue screens every computer session.  At work, we used Apple, and the Mac OS9 wasn't much better.

I got a new computer about 5 years ago with XP pre-installed.  It has been virtually trouble free ever since, and I have been able to fix everything that has gone wrong myself.  Computer tech support has become almost non-existent compared with what it was I started out with the old machine, so fortunately I haven't had to fiddle-fart with it.

But now, M$ has discontinued WinXP as part of their planned obsolescence program, although they have indicated they will still offer technical support for another 5 years.  I have heard many complaints and very little positive from people's experiences with Vista.  Reportedly, it consumes gobs of memory and disc space, and is slower and less reliable than XP.  Some computer manufacturers are said to offer new machines with Vista pre-installed, but include a "downgrade" disc so that the customer may, at his option, convert back to XP. I plan to simply use XP until it doesn't work any more, and if by then M$ hasn't come up with something better, I may be tempted to try something like whatever version of Apple's OSX is out there, assuming they haven't screwed it up like M$ has done with the latest version of Windows.  I had plenty of experience with Mac OSX at work; it was a tremendous improvement over the older OS, but still like better the way XP works.

Pity that M$ couldn't leave well enough alone.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »

We run Win 2KPro here.  Works well 99.5% of the time.  NT platform. The only blue screens we get is on wonky websites that consume too much memory, otherwise it's perfectly stable.

Windows 98SE, which I used to run, is garbage.   One problem after another, after another.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 11:07:27 AM »

Question for those who have a high speed connection and a software firewall like Zone Alarm, MS Windows, etc.  why the need for two firewalls?  Doesn't your broadband hardware have a firewall built into it?  My DSL modem has a firewall (unless you have the firewall turned off) which is the only one I use. Also, the DSL modem uses NAT (network address translation) so each of the machines IP addresses are hidden or disguised.  I guess it could be considered extra insurance but also extra overhead for the machine to run. My 2 cents.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
WB2CAU

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 12:14:09 PM »

I like Windows XP better than previous operating systems.  But I do dislike the fact that MS purposefully obsoletes their operating systems after a period of time forcing the user to pay for a new operating system that might not be compatible with existing hardware or software.  I would not mind so much if new operating systems were always backward compatible with older systems, peripherals and software. Having to replace hardware and software in addition to the OS each time becomes a financial burden to everyone. I'm strongly resisting the migration to Windows Vista as long as I can possibly do so.

Also each new edition of Windows becomes increasingly difficult to re-install legitimately on an upgraded or repaired machine.  You have to jump through hoops and sometimes end up having to buy another user license when it really should not be required. 

I've updated MS XP Pro over the course of the last few years and have actually lost features that I used to take for granted.  I used to be able to record streaming audio off the internet with Cool Edit Pro... not so anymore.  This is true on my 3 machines that I use for various purposes.  I believe it due to new built-in software restrictions based upon Digital Rights Management (DRM).  If I'm recording for my own personal (non-commercial) use to make CDs to play in my car, why should I be subject to these restrictions? It's nothing more than time-shifting, IMHO. (If someone has a work-around for this, please email me wb2cau@gmail.com)

Anyway, if I could work around all of the above with Linux, I would.  But unfortunately there are too many applications that I enjoy using that are not directly compatible with Linux.  And, the terminology that it took me years to get familiar with in the MS-DOS / MS Windows world are different in Linux requiring me to re-learn everything all over again.   I've tried different versions of Linux over the last 6 years and each one becomes just that much closer to being a Windows replacement but it just "isn't there" yet. 

Thanks for listening to my P&M.  I'm becoming a cranky old buzzard. Grin

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 12:22:08 PM »

Question for those who have a high speed connection and a software firewall like Zone Alarm, MS Windows, etc.  why the need for two firewalls?  Doesn't your broadband hardware have a firewall built into it?  My DSL modem has a firewall (unless you have the firewall turned off) which is the only one I use. Also, the DSL modem uses NAT (network address translation) so each of the machines IP addresses are hidden or disguised.  I guess it could be considered extra insurance but also extra overhead for the machine to run. My 2 cents.

Hi Bob,

While it is true that NAT will do a good job of blocking inbound port access, it will not block outbound port requests. A good software firewall gives you SPI control over who or what your system attempts to send out (ie: WMP sending Microsoft your content playlist for who knows what reason...) I still use Kerio 2.1.5 which is a freebie and has very little overhead. It's a little dated but many people still use it due to its minimal impact on system resources and it's effectiveness.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 01:44:32 PM »

Hi Rob,
So it's probably good to go with both HW and SW firewalls and just have a little redundancy I would guess even though most of the same things are covered by both.

I was looking at the firewall settings in my DSL modem.  I have to admit with something like zone alarm or other SW firewalls one can block certain protocols in addition to blocking individual IP addresses which is a nice feature.  It seems I don't have the ability of blocking individual IP addresses  with the DSL modem.  Plus, if I remember correctly ZA will alert the user of access attempts.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »

Hi Rob,
So it's probably good to go with both HW and SW firewalls and just have a little redundancy I would guess even though most of the same things are covered by both.

To be honest, a software firewall probably is not a necessity where a single computer is hiding behind a NAT device. I believe it is a good idea though if multiple clients are present as it will protect the clients from each other. It is also kind of surprising the number of times applications try to call home for reasons other than checking for updates. I get kind of a nerdy sense of satisfaction at being able to snuff out things like Windows Media Player from calling home with my connection, but the safety aspect is that if a trojan finds its way onto one of your machines, the software firewall will block its attempts to send data from your machine to the remote box that is looking at you. I figure, since there are free firewalls out there that are very secure, I might as well use one!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »

I've updated MS XP Pro over the course of the last few years and have actually lost features that I used to take for granted.  I used to be able to record streaming audio off the internet with Cool Edit Pro... not so anymore.  This is true on my 3 machines that I use for various purposes.  I believe it due to new built-in software restrictions based upon Digital Rights Management (DRM).  If I'm recording for my own personal (non-commercial) use to make CDs to play in my car, why should I be subject to these restrictions? It's nothing more than time-shifting, IMHO. (If someone has a work-around for this, please email me wb2cau@gmail.com)

If I understand it correctly, none of the software that allows recording streaming audio actually saves the digital stream, because programs such as Windows Media Player and RealPlayer use encrypted protocols that no-one has cracked.  The recording software takes the audio off the sound card and converts it back to digital format such as MP3 or wav files.  You could just as well plug an external digital audio recorder to the audio output jack of your sound card and record the audio.  Maybe the recording software makes a better recording because you don't have the distortion of the audio output stage of the sound card and the audio input stages of the digital audio recorder.  Plus the convenience of not having to deal with another piece of hardware.  There are numerous programs that claim to be able to record streaming audio and video.

The latest update to RealPlayer allows you to download flash video clips such as YouTube directly to HD.  Now, whenever I play a YouTube video, a little pop-up asks me if I want to download the file.  I can click on the window and it automatically saves the file to a folder in My Documents, or I can X the pop-up and it goes away.

If you knew which update killed the function of Cool Edit Pro, couldn't you try uninstalling that update?  Some M$ updates are not uninstallable, but another possibility if you wanted to go to the trouble, would be to reinstall the OS using the original Windows CD, and avoid re-installing the update that killed the feature.

If windows 98SE was garbage, Millennium Edition was worse.  I have never heard anyone say anything about that version other than it was a POS.  It was a makeshift revision to keep the M$ planned obsolescence program on schedule.  They couldn't get XP ready for commercial release on time, so they threw ME together to get a "new" operating system on the market for the interim. 

And there is nothing to keep you from using the old OS after its expiration date, even when it is no longer technically supported.  There are people still using Windows 3x and even DOS.  I stayed with Win95 until the long-promised non-DOS based OS was released. The old computer I was using finally crapped out after multiple lightning hits, just days after I had moved all my stuff onto the new one, when the old HD gave out with a sickening sounding moan.

If everyone cooperated with the planned obsolescence bullshˇt, we'd all be running slopbucket by now.

- - -
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 07:03:52 PM »

I'm not interested in getting into the business.  I'll just keep using my present computer and OS until they crap out or otherwise won't work any more.  Just as I do with my cars.  I bought both our present vehicles brand new.  One has turned over 100k and the other is past 150k,  and I plan to run them until they turn to dust, just like the wonderful one-hoss shay.  I built my No. 1 homebrew transmitter in 1970 and plan to keep it on the air until at least 2070 - if it or I don't crap out first.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 10:03:34 PM »

Not entirely true. Many routers and DSL modems have SPI and/or service blocking capability.

While it is true that NAT will do a good job of blocking inbound port access, it will not block outbound port requests.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015