The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:23:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: now I'm all choked up  (Read 2778 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »

Lookit the difference between what Frontier Engineering whipped up for me and the stock plate choke on teh Gonsets.

It's about 3X the size in every dimension possible, wound on Delrin. I gotta raise some bucks to get the bifilar fil chokes he has stashed for me and we can start trying to make RF again. 

* DSCN0593_3.jpg (126.35 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 416 times.)
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:03:48 PM »

Derb,

Those new chokes rule!  I tell you, the OEM chokes for your GSB 200s are so wimpy (they're smaller than the chokes in my Viking II), they aren't even worthy of being in the presence of the new ones you had made.  Way to go!

Ellen - AF9J
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:38:51 PM »

Ellen,

tnx - the new chokes are very well wound and made. Impressed. I am going to nab 2 bifilar fil chokes from him later on in the month. I have a good feeling bout this this time around - I think between Slab and JN and myself we will have eliminated all the weak spots in the amps. no wimpy crap bandswitch, no need to switch in padder caps on 75 meters for proper loading, straight Pi network output, 10 X better chokes, beefier 1N5408 diodes, much better filter caps ( made in USA JTi's ) and installed properly instead of JS.

I am going over the amps assembly line style to make #2 match #1 in every way including cosmetics. Powder coating both this time no more spray cans around here - too much dog hair everywhere.  Tongue
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:24:48 AM »

MFJ is also a pretty good source for RF and HV/power supply components since they make available the parts used in their Ameritron amps at pretty fair prices.  The catalog is available at: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/catalog/Pages_49_through_72.pdf and pages 67-69 will be of the most interest to homebrewers.  I will admit as a native of Mississippi I like supporting the local companies but I have also been a very satisfied parts customer.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
K1DEU
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:59:42 AM »

Likewise I use parts from MFJ, Ten Tec and others that are proven and very affordable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015