The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:40:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Look what followed me home!  (Read 18136 times)
AF9J
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 10:24:58 PM »

Hi Mike & Dave,

Thanks for your impressions on the Twoer Mike.  As I said earlier, I just hope that Ken, W9GA in Germantown (about 15 miles from me) doesn't fire up, or he'll blank out the TWoers receiver with his KW.  I also noticed in Steve's net list, that Ludington, MI (about 15 miles as the crow flies across Lake Michigan from me), also has a 2m AM net on Wednesday nights.

Dave, I tried Solder wick on the HP-23A power supply' s twistlodk cap tabs last year, and got fed up with trying to pull off the solder.  The builder of the supply put solder on by the ton.  It was late at night, and I was getting fed up with trying to remove the stuff. Hopefully the Twoer will not be slathered in solder on the quad cap's tabs.

Ellen - AF9J
kf6pqt

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 12:53:40 AM »

I'm curious to hear of the results of the solid-state class C amp used on AM experiment,  I've got the 100w PA section from a lowband (~6m) highway patrol Motorola Micor that I used with the funny Cherokee 6m FM ht long a ago. (a POS radio, imho, btw)

Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 11:15:46 AM »

I'm curious to hear of the results of the solid-state class C amp used on AM experiment,  I've got the 100w PA section from a lowband (~6m) highway patrol Motorola Micor that I used with the funny Cherokee 6m FM ht long a ago. (a POS radio, imho, btw)

Jason kf6pqt

Hi Jason,

Check the Micor schematic to be sure they are not using a base-leak or a self biasing scheme on that class C amp.  Fixed bias is what you need - but it could be modified with a zener if so.

Another way to test it is to inject in an RF carrier and vary the level. Measure the base DC bias  (on the DC side of the choke, on the other side of the RF) to see if it stays fixed or varies. You want rock stable bias, cuz with linear drive to the base, under modulation the self bias would vary and cause unwanted distortion.

The Mot Micor is a beautifully built rig...almost like mil-spec. Back in the early 70's I was a Motorola tech and used to repair and maintain them.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015