The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:37:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Bees but plenty of Japanese Beetles  (Read 3838 times)
WQ9E

« on: July 03, 2008, 08:51:43 PM »

The attack of the Japanese Beetles was a minor problem last year but this year they are really aggressive.  I had to spray the peach trees about this time last year but this year not only did they attack the peach trees in mass but also my grapevines, apple trees, and even the sweet corn.  The skimmers on the pool are also collecting several hundred of them each day.  I hope the percentage population increase from last year doesn't follow the same trend line into the future.

The lack of bees is still disturbing.  Due to our heavy spring rains I have quite a bit of clover growing in the pasture and I have yet to see the first honeybee this year.  Typically I would have them swarming all about while mowing. 

I did have a little surprise when I got home from the AM picnic last Saturday, a large bull snake was coiled up on my doorstep.  He declined to move and I had my hands full of a just acquired RCA AR-88 so I decided to step over him and unlock the door and deal with him later, as I was getting myself and radio through the door my new snake friend decided to follow me inside.  I put the radio down and grabbed the snake and carried him out into the pasture and a few minutes later he was back on the sidewalk.  After a second trip to the pasture (this time to the far side of the creek) he apparently decided to stay.  Fortunately my wife (who is absolutely terrified of all snakes) was in N. Dakota visiting her parents because she would probably have nightmares for weeks if she had seen the snake enter the house.

On the good news front, I think I got to the trees in time and the peaches are looking great so in about 2 weeks plenty of fresh peaches.

* hiss.JPG (245.3 KB, 1024x764 - viewed 358 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »

Surpriseingly, I haven't  seen any Japanese beetles yet this year.
shelby Kb3ouk

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:02:37 PM »

I haven't seen any Japanese beetles so far.  They usually show up about the same time as the June bugs, so I expect them in another week or so.  Last year I put out a trap and that seemed to keep them out of the garden.  At its peak, I was collecting a bag full every 2-3 days.  I would take the filled bag and set it aside until all the bugs inside had died, then use them like manure in the garden.  I  was amazed at how much greener the vegetation would turn in the area where I would dump a bag of bugs.

A large bag of dead bugs smells exactly like any other dead animal.  You just don't notice the smell from one dead bug because there is so little of it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:06:02 AM »

Earlier this spring I made mention of a shortage of bee's on here, and since prior to this bout of rain I had counted 5 around the yard while mowing, it was nice to see the little guys again I was bothered by that a lot.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »

No shortage of bees here in central verminmont...

Plenty of bumble-bees, honeybees and the like.

It's way too early for Japanese Beetles here, but we have been battling an overabundance of Rose-Chafers. Wow, those things can EAT!.

Problem is, MOST sprays for things like this and the Japanese Beetles, is a SUPER repelant to BEES.
They won't even visit with the odor of most  insecticides around.

Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »

bees need to stay, its the hornets wasps i could do without.
i saw a few flying around and under a little grill i have outside, took a peek under it to see what was going on and the little buggers were building a nest.
went into the garage and grabbed a can of starting fluid, drops them instantly.
it also evaporates fast but if its in a safe place (not attached to the house) you can hit it with a flame and watch their little mud condo burn killing all the tenants inside.
I was also reading that break cleaner works just as well and is not flammable, would think that you wouldn't want to get it on siding and such.
what is it about starting fluid that kills them instantly? the Ether?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »

Got plenty of hornets, wasps, yellow jackets, bumble bees, and white face hornets this year, more than I care to deal with.  Deer flies are many as well, ferocious and aggresive too.  Saw my first Jap Beetle yesterday.  Got the traps out. Now it's wait see.

Living near wet lands, we have our big share of dragon flies which are fascinating to watch.  We have all sorts of species, colors, sizes and flying patterns.  They're neat to watch. I like them and they're harmless. One flying bug I welcome.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015