The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:06:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renewed Growth of ARRL & Amateur Radio Service - 2007 Annual Report  (Read 8346 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: June 24, 2008, 02:10:14 PM »

The ARRL Annual Report for 2007, now available online and in print, reviews the League's major events of the year and documents the renewed growth of both the ARRL and the activities of the Amateur Radio Service. Just 50 years ago, there were fewer than 90,000 ARRL members; in 2007, ARRL achieved its highest level of membership growth since 1993. By the end of 2007, there were 153,535 ARRL members -- a single year increase of 3.3 percent. In this period of growth, ARRL has upheld its commitment and mission as the leading representative of active radio amateurs.

http://www.remote.arrl.org/announce/annualreport/2007/2007-Annual-Report.pdf

HAPPY CAT

* Happy Person.gif (6.34 KB, 123x142 - viewed 613 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1MVP
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 10:09:28 PM »

Just 50 years ago, there were fewer than 90,000 ARRL members; in 2007, ARRL achieved its highest level of membership growth since 1993. By the end of 2007, there were 153,535 ARRL members -- a single year increase of 3.3 percent. In this period of growth, ARRL has upheld its commitment and mission as the leading representative of active radio amateurs.

Huh,--growth???--50 years ago there were approximately 200,000 hams, with close to 90,000 belonging
to the ARRL,--now that was close to 50% of the ham population that belonged to the ARRL.

Today there are about 700,000 hams, and approx 150,000 are ARRL members which would be abt 20%,--If
my figures are correct.
I`d hate to see what a "decline" would be if you think the ARRL is in a "big" growth period.

K1MVP Huh                           
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:13:22 PM »

I'm Not gona Say..a Word... Roll Eyes
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:45:54 PM »

Just 50 years ago, there were fewer than 90,000 ARRL members; in 2007, ARRL achieved its highest level of membership growth since 1993. By the end of 2007, there were 153,535 ARRL members -- a single year increase of 3.3 percent. In this period of growth, ARRL has upheld its commitment and mission as the leading representative of active radio amateurs.

Huh,--growth???--50 years ago there were approximately 200,000 hams, with close to 90,000 belonging
to the ARRL,--now that was close to 50% of the ham population that belonged to the ARRL.

Today there are about 700,000 hams, and approx 150,000 are ARRL members which would be abt 20%,--If
my figures are correct.
I`d hate to see what a "decline" would be if you think the ARRL is in a "big" growth period.

K1MVP Huh                           

"renewed growth", "membership growth", "growth", all appear in the initial posting. I don't see the phrase "big" growth. Of course, of the approx. 700,000 amateurs in today's ranks, one could question how many are really "active" amateurs.

ARRL's growth "a single year increase of 3.3 percent" in 2007. Over the last several years it was relatively flat or had some minor decreases in membership.

In my opinion, if your lawn today had only 1 blade of grass, then the next  day had 2 blades of grass, the following day had 3 blades of grass, the following day had 4 blades of grass, your lawn is experiencing growth. It makes no difference what your lawn looked like 50 years ago.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:59:04 PM »

But most of those 700,000 hams are no coders. And they don't count. So the ARRL really has the membership of the majority of real hams.

my figures are correct.

K1MVP Huh                          
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »

. Of course, of the approx. 700,000 amateurs in today's ranks, one could question how many are really "active" amateurs.

Maybe almost 700,000 callsigns issued...

But between SKs, clubs, special event calls....etc..

How many not-dead, single-callsign-holding hams are there really?

Never mind whether they ever used a radio..

K1MVP
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »

"no coders don`t count"

Tell that to CWA and/ or the ARRL,-- like the "new" no code upgrades don`t count???
That statement might just stir up a "hornets nest".
                                             K1MVP Grin

P.S., Pete,--If I had a real nice "thick lawn" 50 years ago and I have had crabgrass for
the past 30 years,--I suppose a bit of "thicker crabgrass" over the past year might be seen
as "growth" or "improvement" if one does not know the difference between a real nice lawn
and crabgrass.
                                            73 Smiley  
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:24:51 PM »

How many angels can dance on a blade of grass?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 01:15:47 AM »

"no coders don`t count"

Tell that to CWA and/ or the ARRL,-- like the "new" no code upgrades don`t count???
That statement might just stir up a "hornets nest".
                                             K1MVP Grin

P.S., Pete,--If I had a real nice "thick lawn" 50 years ago and I have had crabgrass for
the past 30 years,--I suppose a bit of "thicker crabgrass" over the past year might be seen
as "growth" or "improvement" if one does not know the difference between a real nice lawn
and crabgrass.
                                            73 Smiley 

I had a Hornet antenna back in "the good old days".

If it's green and fills the lawn versus nice grass with lots of bare spots, it's an improvement. My entire lawn is considered a weed grass and it's pretty too. Every year it chokes out crabgrass trying to take a foothold, so I see lawn improvement each year.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015