The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:41:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: knurled nut wrench?  (Read 19438 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: June 17, 2008, 03:29:55 PM »

Derb announced he was looking for a knurled nut wrench for front panel stuff like switches and lamp removal.

Does or did someone ever actually make such a thing?  I have often wished I had one, because it is virtually impossible to loosen up one of these with a tool like pliers without ruining it.

If someone actually manufactures them, I also would like to have one, although typically it would be something that is now "discontinued".  When I get time, maybe I'll do a search on the web and see if I can find anything.

This is the first time I ever heard of such a tool.  I always thought those little knurled rings were engaged by hand and tightened be rotating the switch.  Unfortunately, that usually doesn't work in reverse.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:34:29 PM »

Man I haven't seen one of those in a while. Seems to me they look like a nut driver if I remember. Xlite maybe??
W1EUJ
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »

McMaster-Carr?
K1ZJH

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »

I think my local electronic parts dealer was able to order one for me through the GC catalog.

Pete

page five:

http://www.gcelectronics.com/order/SubCatPDF/new%20Specialty%20tools%20398-400%20402-407.pdf
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:14:11 PM »

schweet! tnx pete, I didnt think anyone made them new anymore. I had one years ago and lost it. it's the ONLY way to fly to take those things off or on. Any other way and you just about always put a nick in the paint.
 Grin

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:44 AM »

According to that GC Electronics page, "Tightens/Loosens Knurled Finish Nuts, Takes 1/2” Nuts".

I'm not sure that the ones that fit standard toggle switches are that size.  It seems to me that they are slightly larger, maybe 9/16?  I'll have to check tomorrow and measure one to see.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »

I think my local electronic parts dealer was able to order one for me through the GC catalog.  Pete
page five:
http://www.gcelectronics.com/order/SubCatPDF/new%20Specialty%20tools%20398-400%20402-407.pdf

Would anyone care to suggest a good dealer who sells these?   A web-based dealer would be good.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 11:21:44 AM »

Ohhhhh... knurled front panel nutz! HAA!

Well whaddya know!

Wonder if it is flat or knurled on the innard?

Ur supposed to tighten/loosen them via the back nut which is hex of course, but in practice you usually can't get to them since the unit is probably assembled "automobile style" - meaning it's easy to get at it when the whole damn engine is sitting out on a dolly, but impossible once installed in a REAL car.  Shocked Shocked

Any GC distributor can supply such a thing I would expect.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »

Electrosonic up here in Canada is a GC dealer, and I just ordered from them. I also ordered their "Spline Wrench Kit"  p/n 5070.   Be about 4 weeks delivery as these items are not normal stock, but "special order".  No problem; I can wait.   Interesting to note that both these items carry NSN (Nato Stock Numbers) for military inventory.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »

I used to put a piece of heavy clear packing tape on the very edge of the tool, then trim around it so the opening wasn't obstructed or 'shrunk' by the added thickness. Works pretty well, but requires the occasional inspection.

IIRC, GC had two different sizes available. The more common and available one was the smaller of the two. Some mic and switch nuts were just a tad larger. Somewhere I have the numbers squirreled away.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »

I usually use a jam nut behind the panel and tighten it with a wrench after the front nut is finger tight.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 08:02:28 AM »

Here's one of several threads on this subject over at Antique Radio Forums, where it comes up every couple months

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75132

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 03:21:33 AM »

I had 4 of them at one time when I was working at the radio store in the 80's. there wasn't a knurled nut in north america could bother me.
N2GHX Ken

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 10:26:59 AM »

TESSCO.COM
part number 477526  Toggle Switch Knurled Nut Wrench $13.73
Adjustable for all popular sizes.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 01:10:33 PM »

TESSCO.COM
part number 477526  Toggle Switch Knurled Nut Wrench $13.73
Adjustable for all popular sizes.

Careful -I found it and went through their web site adding  all sorts of neat stuff I wanted. Got all the way to the end and found out they do not sell to consumers........

Thanks anyway Ken- It looked like the Holy Grail
Carl /KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »

Carl, aren't you the proprietor of the famous KPD Electronix, a subsisiary of Buzzardly Construction, Inc.? Surely they will sell to you.  Wink

I've run across that before with catalog requests and had no problems. Seems more like they just need something for their file while trying to scare off the skin flints of the world.

"Of course it's a business, I'm the boss...."

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 11:12:42 PM »

I just indicate that I operate a consulting service, and even have a company name made up for it.  It has enabled me to subscribe to numerous magazines and purchase merchandise from many of those companies that do not sell to "individuals".  It's  not entirely fictional, since from time to time I do provide consulting services - to hams free of charge, and to little toy radio stations too cheap to hire an engineer, whatever I think the market will bear.

- - -
ab3al
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 09:55:56 PM »

although i have jamed my nuts behind a cabinet door on occasion unintetionaly i dont think they have ever been knereld.  Is this something that comes with age? or is it dependant on the size. i see mentioned 19/32 - 1/2 inch nuts.  the set i carry about appear to be larger
k7yoo

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 10:58:52 PM »

I ordered one for my company--"Apparatus"
If it whirls, twirls, sparks, or barks , we fix it.
I'll let you know if it arrives!
Skip

BTW I did check with GC, and they want a lot more for the same tool. It was listed under 2 numbers in their website, one was in bulk, the other in the blister pack. Apparently the blister pack adds nearly $20 to the price! I e-mailed them about that and they said the unpackaged ones shouldn't have been listed, and you couldn't buy them that way.
K5MO
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 08:11:23 PM »

I bought a couple of these (one for each size panel nut) and found that they don't really work worth a damn...but they were expensive!

John K5MO
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 07:31:11 AM »

the ones I used to own were just like normal wrenches, except for the end. they worked swimmingly good. You snapped it down with finger pressure, did maybe a 1/8th turn, and used your fingers to spin it off. I'll doubt I'll ever see another set of 4 like that. They were old an buzzardly, almost black in color.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 11:40:55 AM »

I bought a couple of these (one for each size panel nut) and found that they don't really work worth a damn...but they were expensive!

John K5MO

Hi John

Was it the specific GC units that you bought?

Anybody else have experience with them?

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015