The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:36:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Politics and Ham Radio  (Read 22599 times)
K9ACT
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:53 AM »

To me, your ARF net just sounds like a cheap immitation of Timtron's good old
"piss and moan net"!!

Unless he was doing it before 1983, I think the "immitation" is misdirected.

As far as "cheap" goes, I don't recall anyone belching into microphone nor do I recall a single instance of profanity in the 5 years I ran the forum.

I will address a few of the other remarks here to save some bandwidth.

1.  Judging from the reaction on this list, excluding slop buckets would produce a forum of 3 on a good night.  Don't think we have that luxury.

2.  All the battles and wars alluded to seem akin to disliking a book one has not read.  No such war ever took place on ARF in 5 years.  What actually seems to happen is that like minds gravitate together like birds of a feather.  Little by little, a consensus develops and the group evolves into "ditto heads" of one sort or another.  This is actually the reason I got bored and gave it up.  It became a love fest.

3.  The biggest problem I see starting now is the miserable propagation and band conditions.  80 meters really stinks lately but I stuck my foot in so I will charge ahead and appreciate any support I can get.

4.  The rest of the comments that I would love to challenge would make good topics for the forum and serve no purpose arguing here.

5.  Thanks for listening Don but you were a week early. 

Jack New ARF Thurs 0300Z 3715 more or less

ka3zlr
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 03:01:27 AM »

Is that one net still on that Vic ran, been so long i forget the name..it's political in content...
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 10:13:28 AM »

The P&M Net dates to the 70's. Please define the relationship between belching and profanity and cheap.

The cool thing about a net, group, gathering or whatever you wish to call it is that if you like what they are doing or talking about, you can listen or join in. If you don't, then you don't have to listen or join in.

So, good luck with your net Jack. Don't worry about those that don't like the idea of discussing politics. They don't need to participate. And I don't see how your group engaging in such discussions hurts them or the hobby (unless it turns into a hate fest). Even then, other than the supposed negative PR *, I don't see it as a problem.

* This assumes a large number of initiated non-hams or SWL would be listening and some how turned off to ham radio as a result, a dubious assumption IMO.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 11:45:33 AM »

Thom...... VFO  turn turn turn................

Ed, if you're going to drop irrelevant one-liners, could you try trimming down the quote? A little netiquette goes a long way.

Jack asked for opinions, Ed. I gave him one. Please don't tell me how to operate my station based on an opinion that was directly solicited (or anything else, for that matter).

Thank you.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »

To me, your ARF net just sounds like a cheap immitation of Timtron's good old
"piss and moan net"!!

Unless he was doing it before 1983, I think the "immitation" is misdirected.

As far as "cheap" goes, I don't recall anyone belching into microphone nor do I recall a single instance of profanity in the 5 years I ran the forum.

If you're looking to alienate yourself or come off as elitist, you're doing a great job, Jack.

You did ask for opinions. Sorry the results weren't what you'd hoped for, but casting aspersions towards other AMers isn't going to change that outcome.

Sorta reinforces the point several of us have been trying to convey, you see.

By the way, that's "belching into the microphone". If you're going to criticize others' third-grade behavior, you might try to avoid employing second-grade grammatical errors to do so.

Food for thought. Good luck in the contest!
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »

Unless I'm in  a QSO with a group of like-minded conservatives,  I avoid political discussions like the plague.  Too many contentious issues which invariably lead to animosities and bad feelings.

I am a Globaloney Warming Denier.  My good friend (and Best Man at my wedding),  Dave, VE2KDL,  is  a kool-aid drinking  Algore worshipping, GW true-believer.  We had a knock-down, drag out fight over the phone about this, and quickly realized that our 40-year plus friendship was at stake.  We agreed to politely disagree on this issue.   We now only talk about guns (as we're both shooters).

I have my firm opinions about politics, born of 30 years of political activism and observation.  Unless pressed, I generally keep it to myself. Too many ignoranuses around who know nothing of politics, yet feel the need to spew gibberish.   Nah... not for me.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 12:34:58 PM »

FYI conservative in VE land is far different than the so called conservative here in the crooked USA. That is why Canada isn't $10T in the hole
K9ACT
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 12:42:12 PM »

If you're looking to alienate yourself or come off as elitist, you're doing a great job, Jack.

You did ask for opinions. Sorry the results weren't what you'd hoped for, but casting aspersions towards other AMers isn't going to change that outcome.

I was simply defending myself against the accusation of offering a "cheap" imitation.

>By the way, that's "belching into the microphone". If you're going to criticize others' third-grade behavior, you might try to avoid employing second-grade grammatical errors to do so.

One might argue the difference between a typo and third grade behavior.

More interesting is that politics and religion have little to do with people getting unpleasant when they disagree on anything.

I thank all for the opinions, for or against and appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts and intentions.

js

KA1ZGC
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 12:59:10 PM »

More interesting is that politics and religion have little to do with people getting unpleasant when they disagree on anything.

Politics and religion aren't requirements for people getting unpleasant when they disagree, but they sure do make great catalysts for it.

That was my (and several others') primary point, editorializing aside.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 03:49:39 PM »

Thom...... VFO  turn turn turn................

Ed, if you're going to drop irrelevant one-liners, could you try trimming down the quote? A little netiquette goes a long way.

Jack asked for opinions, Ed. I gave him one. Please don't tell me how to operate my station based on an opinion that was directly solicited (or anything else, for that matter).

Thank you.

Thom....Chill.  Who was telling you how to do anything? You didn't get my point. I don't listen to politics or religion either.  More of a suggestion. How bout those Celts?

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 04:02:05 PM »

So now VFOs are political? Huh
KA1ZGC
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »

My VFO is, it drifts to the right.  Wink
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 04:21:22 PM »

BASTA!

STUFF IT!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 05:42:43 PM »

When in Sweden, it's to sit in a sauna.

All ham shacks should have one:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 06:47:50 PM »

See, here's the perfect example. People are starting to argue about 'talking about talking about politics.' Roll Eyes

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
ka3zlr
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »

Well do what ya think is right, if it Feels good do it... anybody trap anymore...how bout gunnsmithing, Naughty womens clothing.. Shocked snuck dat in der...how bout RC airplanes...helicopters...tryed that,, wow it Takes real Talent ....I just have a hard time because it's So depressing, we want one thing and they do the other...never makes sense to me...
k7yoo

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 09:03:02 PM »

I must accept some of the blame/credit (however you look at it) for this topic even coming up. I was intrigued by some of Jack's on the air comments and wanted to discuss them further. I generally take views quite contrary to Jack's and suggested it might be nice to replace some of the more benign QSO subject matter with some in depth discussion. 
I am not sure whether to laugh or cry at the responses to even discussing the issue.
Being somewhat naive, I thought that a variety of views could be discussed without hostility.
The core of the issue is whether ham radio is an appropriate medium for this type of communication. I suppose the internet is a better place, or a local pub, or the office, or at the dinner table.....
I will say this--no matter where your philosophy leads you, it is an inescapable fact that we are in a very difficult era in our nations history and it is no time to avoid collecting all the data you can to understand the ramifications of the choices we are making today.
My apologies for being so serious.
Flog me if you will.
Skip
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »

I will say this--no matter where your philosophy leads you, it is an inescapable fact that we are in a very difficult era in our nations history and it is no time to avoid collecting all the data you can to understand the ramifications of the choices we are making today.

I don't believe we're in an era that is any more difficult than many times in our nation's past. Collecting all the data you can to understand the ramifications of the choices we are making has ALWAYS been important. That said, I don't think holding a net to discuss politics is the optimum (or anywhere near it) way to collect data. But if Jack or anyone else wants to have a net for this purpose or anything else (to include discussing pasta), have at it. People can choose to participate or not. Pretty simple really.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »

When in Sweden, it's to sit in a sauna.

All ham shacks should have one:

* 180px-French_Squatter_Toilet.jpg (5.37 KB, 180x154 - viewed 366 times.)

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K9ACT
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 12:25:24 AM »

I don't believe we're in an era that is any more difficult than many times in our nation's past.

I was going to recuse myself from any further comment on this thread but can't resist pointing out what a great topic this would be for the Forum.  It is very tempting to respond here but I understand the rules and will bite my fingers/lips until Thursday night.

Can we count on your to present it, Steve?  I have a topic in mind but am always open to and encourage participants to come up with topics.  You know like, "open line Friday", ha ha.

js

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 08:40:25 AM »

Steve, I didn't say "PASTA"...

I said "BASTA"  which in Itial speak means ENOUGH ALL READY!!!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
K9ACT
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »

Well, things went about as well as expected for the first night.

We had 4 AM checkins and one SSB flyby and an interesting debate, punctuated by nothing worse than static crashes.

For those who can't or don't wish to participate on air, I put together a quickie blog at:

http://k9act.blogspot.com/

I will move it to my domain when I figure out how to do that.

The topic and my editorial are there along with the usual comment area.

About the only thing we reached a concensus on was to move the net time up an hour, at least for the Summer.  So the time next week will  be 0200Z and 3715 seems to be a good nominal freq.

Thanks for all the support and hope to see/hear more next week.

js

KB1OKL
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »

See, here's the perfect example. People are starting to argue about 'talking about talking about politics.' Roll Eyes

Exactly, Grin
WA1GFZ

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »

Steve,
I'll take a bag of what you are smoking
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 09:44:07 PM »

i got some pretty good dope. dont need no weed.  Lips sealed
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands