The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:20:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When AudioPhools go digital  (Read 4845 times)
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« on: June 15, 2008, 09:19:53 AM »

suckers born every minute
i really hope Denon is joking...
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »

...on this one I'm going to agree... at least on the surface it is difficult to see why this cable should have any special qualities that will make an audible difference. Of course it is not a standard SPDIF cable, nor is it a "CAT5" cable, since it is running a proprietary digital "link" protocol. What that is, and what its requirements are might be telling in this case...

_-_-bear

PS. the whole point of a proprietary digital transfer prototcol ought to be minimizing the effects of cabling/transfer. It may just be I2S...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W1EUJ
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »

I want some of this phool money. I want to take my Litz wire and build 'dancable' audio cables, then sell them for cheap - $100 a foot. What are the magic words I need to use?
KA1ZGC
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »

Of course it is not a standard SPDIF cable, nor is it a "CAT5" cable, since it is running a proprietary digital "link" protocol.

Just because it might be carrying something other than ethernet frames doesn't mean it's not a Cat5 cable. Look closer at it. See the colors of the inner conductors? Now look at the colors of the inner conductors of a nearby Cat5 cable. Look familiar?

It's just a perfectly ordinary Cat5 cable they've gussied up and put a $400+ price tag on. Like so many things in the business, it's complete and total snake-oil. It's sucker-bait, and I'll bet you money some douchebag is going to write up a review in one of the audiophool rags claiming this cable is the bee's knees, the wasp's nipples, and the erogenous zones of every flying insect known to man; that it "enhances the warmth and tessitura of the image", and then every idiot with more money than brains will be out buying the stupid things.

I love the marking on the headshell showing the "optimum signal flow", it points both ways! Tell me this isn't being marketed directly to people who are rich and stupid!

What that is, and what its requirements are might be telling in this case...

Please tell me you're kidding. If not, it's time you spit out the Kool-Aid.

--Thom
Killer Audio One Zero Gravity Copper
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 11:36:19 AM »

someone should call 'em on this one.. On the face of it, seems ridiculous. Maybe they'll throw in a vial of snake oil with that.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 11:52:46 AM »

Wow... That's pretty much all I can say after reading the product literature and the AK-DL1 product manual. Ummm... I notice that under the product warranty this device is not listed. If its special essence is damaged in some way, apparently you are simply out of luck!

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:02:25 AM »

Click on the link below and dive into the gallery for the grand exhibition of audio enhancements and tomfoolery, with gadgets and geegaws from the sublime to the absurd. Each entry has a caption with the author's take on its worth or lack thereof, along with a URL so you can go buy it if you're gullible enough. Hold onto your wallets, because here we go...

Outrageous Audio Equipment Gallery: For Audiophools Only

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N1ESE
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 12:09:57 AM »

Gotta love the gold plated AC outlets.   Grin
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »

Don, I'm pretty sure all that stuff is standard issue for all congressional office suites. Surely they would not be phooled!

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WB3JOK

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »

That is a pretty amazing collection of expensive snake oil, Don.
But this one, about halfway through the gallery, takes the all-time cake (here's the direct link)

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

I wonder if anyone has asked for their money back guarantee, and if they actually got it back Tongue

-Charles
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »

That is a pretty amazing collection of expensive snake oil, Don.
But this one, about halfway through the gallery, takes the all-time cake (here's the direct link)

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

I wonder if anyone has asked for their money back guarantee, and if they actually got it back Tongue

-Charles

Welllllll....

I.....
Uhh....

E.....
Wha.........

Now I just HAVE to try it....then maybe I'll know what it is!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015