The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:07:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: spray on automotive undercoating for outside solder joint protection?  (Read 4460 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: June 12, 2008, 03:27:05 PM »

I got some, got a gut feeling it would work FB OM if he actual joint was taped first. then spray on over the taped joint. Anyone ever done this?
K1DEU
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:10:29 PM »

I have used Minnesota Mining 3M ScotchKote For over 35 years.

http://www.paigewire.com/pdf/3Mscotchkote.pdf

Its carried at many electrical supply stores. Nowadays in addition to the 15 ounce jar they also sell a small affordable 4 ounce jar.

With an outside situation we do not want any air pockets within a sealant which would allow trapped water vapor to condense. Its a liquid that brushes on. I can get a  second Kote on my soldered antenna wires before pulling them up. If you must build up the coating for underground connections use it together with Scotch 88 Vinyl Tape. It handles the UV well over time keeping our soldered connections pristine outside or in damp locations. Be careful its permanent on clothing!  73 John
k7yoo

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:49:04 PM »

Use the plastic tool dip. This is available in a variety of colors and is generally used for tool handles. I think the brand is Plasti Dip or something like that. You can get it at Ace hardware stores, etc. I have used it for years and it works great. Good insulator too
Skip
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:06:50 AM »

I wuz going to use the red GC insulating varnish on the actual joint, then wrap with tape and seal. I'll look at those too, and use teh best stuff. thanks guys.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 08:30:11 AM »

I never worried too much about soldered connections on antennas, as long as they were GOOD solder joints.

I always made good voidless, smooth flowed out, and totally filled slobber connections from the antenna wires to the feedlines and left them bare and open.
I do this to the antenna / feedline point and the connector lugs at the end of the feedline and have yet to have a problem with any kind of intermittancy from poor connections. The antenna that I am using now has been up for almost 10 years without any problems caused by intermittant connections. Also keep in mind that I am running high power into a short antenna with very heavy feedline currents.
And besides in the olden days many guys (and some to this day) run open wire feeders with no insulation on the wires at all other than the spreaders.

The one place you may want to use some sealing dope on is if you are using any screw lug connectors. That may possibly be a good place to seal. But It may not even be necessary there if you are using stainless or brass hardware.

If everything is slobbered together well, it just seems like "much to do about nothing"
And not really much worth worrying about.   Just my $.02 worth.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 10:11:20 AM »

well, I got the one end of the antenna down out of the tree OK so when I get home ( I'm down at my dad's house for 4 days) I can prepare it for more permanent service since it worked so well. Hoping I find a big ass ceramic center insulator at Frederick. The flashbox is 2 solder joints away from being totally operational again. just have to solder the coax to the input coil.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »

A few things have come up, and it's not looking good for me to make it to the Fredneck fester. I really enjoy that one, but I dont think I will be able to make it. I'm still gonna try but it's looking kinda doubtful. I was hopin to put the slap & grab on ya there. I'm just gonna have to play it by ear and see how it goes.

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »

make it if'n ya can. I'll let ya know what I git. Looking for some parts to make the Gonsets a bit more stout and fatten up the parts bins on the bench. I got 400 drawers to fill.  Cool

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »

Derb,

I bought a roll of that Butyl tape stuff for putting new windshields on and I have been using it outdoors on exposed joints for years. It gets harder with age but still is soft enough to remove with needlenose. The joints underneath will be shiny like new. It is sticky stuff. I have also used it on gamma matches where you have a connector and want to protect a coax cable connector where it attaches.

Radio shops have a professional version of the same stuff for protecting outdoor connections but the windshield stuff is cheap.

Mike WU2D

* butyl.jpg (26.56 KB, 300x291 - viewed 332 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015