The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:47:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could anyone speculate the value of an SX-62A?  (Read 18774 times)
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 09:09:37 AM »

aaarrrrgggghhhh ...Patrick the pie rat ..

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »

I like pie, yessir.. but don't eat it much. Its not on this rat's list. Very little that does not taste like cardboard is on the list.

The SX-62A in question sat on my self for too long and was finally donated to the Vintage Radio and Phonograph Society for the silent auction at the Christmas party yesterday.

The SX-62A fetched $35 (sans speaker) so that's a recent result on the worth of one that needs recapped and completely gone through. I consider that a 'low' value as only two people bid on it and most of the Members are into older and lower-tech stuff to where if it has a lot of tubes then it's the furniture radios like the Zenith, Silver-Marshall, or Scott consoles.

I forgot to take the speaker to the party (didn't see it) so that will probably get cleaned up, tested. - it was said here that it is worth more than the radio.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WZ1M

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 06:23:02 AM »

SX-62, good FM listening and thats about it.
Gary
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 07:17:31 AM »

they are a good playing RX with very good audio. However without having a bandspread, the tuning is too fast for ham use above 40m or so. They are fine for 160 and 75.

And, yes depending on which one you have, the speaker will fetch a lot more than the receiver.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »

All this discussion about 62's and 42's and not one mention of the band switch or the RF caps with braid leads?

Don't spray de-oxit all over the band switch.  There I said it.  Actaully, not having done it, I don't know that this leads to the dreaded swelling wafers phenomenon or not but I have been warned about it.

Those crazy caps with the braided leads?  Just leave them in unless you're sure they're bad.

And one more thing.  Those wax sealed slugs can in all likelihood just be left alone. Just skip those alignment steps unless you're sure they're need it.

I thought the 62 was so named because there are 62 steps in the alignment procedure but this doesn't explain the 42

WA3VJB
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 12:07:52 PM »

We've got one of them over at the museum.

Never had it turned on.

I like the looks of it with that big analog dial and the stations marked along the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46TLmROTTqk

* SX62A.jpg (676.43 KB, 1710x1080 - viewed 308 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »

I'm still kinda sorry that I sold the last one. But I still have it's brother the 42.

Something about that big slide rule dial is just way kool...............

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »

A fellow ham said he is going to give me one. He said it works perfectly and that he had completely gone through it. They look cool and in my case, the price is right. Now while he didn't ask, I need to figure out what I can gift him in return.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »

I have a mint one here.  They are a great SWL radio and of course they do FM.  I had mine playing jazz on FM but that station is now gone.  I turn it on once in a while.

Also.  The 62 was used on Airforce one.  JFK sat on the plane had spun the dial of a 62.  The plane had a long wire antenna on it fromo nose to tail.  As a result, Some call it the presidential reciever.  The plane, with 62 still installed is in Tucson at the pima air museum.

They sure have great audio. 

N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »

I have one pretty good one, one fair one and one junker - I have not been into any of them, because of the dreaded cap replacement task.

Too many other things to do.
WQ9E

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 09:54:58 AM »

I have one pretty good one, one fair one and one junker - I have not been into any of them, because of the dreaded cap replacement task.

Too many other things to do.

Most of the caps in the front end are fairly easy to access once you remove the side cover and brace.  The last SX-42 (electronically almost identical) I went through only took a couple of hours to replace the bad caps and a few out of spec resistors.

Rodger WQ9E
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »

After doing a handful of 28s a 42 or 62 is like a walk in the park  Grin  Grin

WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »

I went to an antique radio auction back in Oct and there was a SX-62a there that went for $220 with 3 or 4 people bidding on it. It was in fair condition but was all there and nothing appeared broken. I wasn’t interested but these other bidders sure were.

Steve
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »

I have a pair of SX-62A MK2A's that are used regularly. One here in the "orfice" and feeding the audio deck of a 1955 RCA orthogonoic stereophonic (pure BS, its mono) console. Also PP 6V6's but with a pair each of 12" and 4" speakers and more controls to play with.

The other is in the BR with the R-42 bass reflex speaker.

Great band cruisers for easy listening SW and its pretty hot on FM.

That set would have bought the $125-150 on Fleabay in that cosmetic condition. A mint or restored recap will bring over $400. That R-46 speaker is nothing special, $25 at Nearfest last fall and well under $100 on fleabay most of the time. It was sold mainly with the SX-71 and S-76 which are far from hot sellers.

Carl
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015