The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:12:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: time to zig instead of zag?  (Read 4107 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:10:40 AM »

Everyone knows the problems I've had with the gonset amps, and the thought of redoing another bandswitch does not thrill me. I had to ax myself, self? You dont get on any other band besides 75 and you might get on 160 in the future. Why not just optimize the tank for 75 , get rid of the weak bandswitch and build teh other one for 160 and be done with it? Dont care about 40 and above.

So, I could use the stock inductor for 75 I guess, but the plate tuning cap is a bit light IMO
if one is to get everything fixed up for maximum smoke on 75. And 160 is a non starter for both the plate tuning cap and loading.

I wouldnt think it would be quite as simple as doubling the value on everything? and that wimpy plate choke would never be ok on 160.

I'm down at my dad's house for the weekend so I dont have the values in front of me, but IIRC the plate tuning cap is ( I think) a johnson 150pf and the loading cap is a 2 X 500pf max with 2 fixed 500pf that can be switched in as required.

Unless I can find a strapping 7 position shorting 2 pole switch, I think making them single banders is better. I'm tired of tank circuit zorches and burned up contacts.  Angry

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »

Derb-o-matic,

This is a good point in the project to keep it simple.

I'll go back to my earlier suggestion: use a soldering iron to take the bandswitch out of the equation entirely!

That could be just a jumper across the burnt contacts, or else you might chose to remove the goesinta wire and the goesouta wires and connect them in space or on one of the bandswitch's lugs, whatever makes the job fast and easy.

I'd take the uglier of the two and do this, make it work on 75, and then worry about getting fancy and "doing it right" on the other one.

Main idea here is simply "get it on the air."

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 02:50:28 PM »

yeh. I think the bandswitches will be removed. Well, it's already gone from one of them. All I need to do is hook the inductor back in place minus the switches. just put a hole plug in front.
Dont know about the loading cap yet, but I can strap fixed caps across that to make sure it loads all the way into a 50 ohm load.

Screw the other bands. I been farting around trying to make it work stock too long. no bandswitch equals no burned up contacts and no zorches. if I ever wanna get on 40, I'll buy another one and single band it for 40.

and of course, now I gotta put up a new antenna before anybody's gonna hear me.

It seems like all the signs are pointing towards just keeping working and clear out the problems one by one, or go around them.
k3zrf

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »

Derb,

I've been following your linear woes. You've spent alot of time trying to get the rig(s) working and very little time on the air if any at all. Sometimes you just have to boil things down to the lowest common denominator. I feel you should shoot for a mono bander and tune for 75 meters. Once you are on the air you can collect parts and build your second for 160.

And that's my $.02

Man, is it ever hot out there today!

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
k7yoo

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 04:49:31 PM »

I have been envious of all of the fun you are having with the Gonset amps, so I bought one at the hamfest today--along with the matching xmitter. Totally lame, but they were cherry and priced to slide into my wagon. My first thought is wipe the decks clean and mount a pair of 813's and some decent components. We'll see if I can zorch it before the deck clearing. keep ya posted
Skip
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »

Skip, you musta gotten a GSB 101 with the GSB 100 TX. The GSB 201's form factor is a lot different. keep me posted, I'll be interested.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 01:25:40 AM »

Dave,

thats just what I am going to do. All of them will be single banded. They are cheap enuff to where I can do this.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015