The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:27:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: gear head question  (Read 6174 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: May 31, 2008, 10:41:01 AM »

My 2001 Silverado 1500 emergency brakes never worked all that great.
I just learned there are brake shoes inside the disk brake hub. Anybody out there in radio land know if I can adjust the drag on the shoe from under the truck or do I have to take it all apart to get to the star wheel. The only access from under the truck is the slot the lever comes through. I just replaced the pads about 20K ago. I never use the emergency brake so didn't notice there was not a lot of stopping power. I was parked a steep hill last week and set the brake and had almost nothing. I suspect it was never adjusted properly from the factory because you get bells and lights if you try to drive with the brake set.  All the cables move freely and the actuator levers move across the slot fine.
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »

As I recall there is a little adjustment in there and I had it done to my 2001 Sierra 2500HD shortly after I bought it.  The e brakes seem fine on my 2006 2500HD although I don't use them much.  I think you can probably find the info you need on the "dieselplace" site; although it is more oriented towards the heavier pickups I believe the parking brakes on the 1500 series are just a smaller version of the same system used on the HD series.  This thread should  provide the info you need: 
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207943&highlight=emergency+brake+adjustment

I am not sure if you have to register to view the forums but if you do it is free.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »

The 1500 is a different set up. I just want to know if I can stick a brade spoon in the lever slot and turn it. I never use my parking brake either but noticed it slipping last week on a hill. The 2500 has 2 shoes like the old drum brakes but this thing has a single shoe that is round.
That site is way too ya-hoo for me.
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »

Hi Frank,

I can't speak on domestic vehicles, but on most late model Europeans, specifically German and Swedish, you can remove a lug bolt from the wheel, and look inside to see the "star" wheel adjuster. No need to remove the brake rotor, in fact the rotors often develop a rust ridge on the area when the brake shoes do not run, making removal problematic until the star wheel is backed off.

So remove the wheel, and rotate the brake rotor, looking inside one of the threaded lug bolt holes with a flashlight, you may just luck out.
Alternatively, some vehicles used to have an access slot and plug in the rear brake backing plate.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »

The 1500 is a different set up. I just want to know if I can stick a brade spoon in the lever slot and turn it. I never use my parking brake either but noticed it slipping last week on a hill. The 2500 has 2 shoes like the old drum brakes but this thing has a single shoe that is round.
That site is way too ya-hoo for me.

Yes. You should see a small star wheel thru the slot right next to the cable pull hook sticking out of the backing plate. Before you try adjusting those, make sure there's no slack in the cables with the parking brake released.(May need to adjust out the cable slack at the pedal first. I've had my fair share of these and personally, the best way to get it right the first time is to lift and support the rear on stands so you can spin the wheels easily. Just adjust the star out till you hear the slightest drag, then back it off a bit.

ON EDIT:

There was a recall regarding those loosening up BTW. Little bit 'o google and here it is. The reason they say manual trannies is b'cuz people with sticks tend to use the e-brake all the time, so it loosens up much faster. BUT, the hardware in the back is the same for an auto also. This one may not apply to you, but it's worth a look anyway.

2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO -- On certain pickup trucks equipped with manual transmissions and built with either PBR parking brake systems or TRW parking brake systems, the parking brake friction linings may wear to an extent where the parking brake can become ineffective in immobilizing a parked vehicle.

If the parking brake does not hold, unintended vehicle movement could occur, which could result in a crash.

Dealers will install a low-force spring clip retainer for vehicles equipped with a PBR parking brake system. On vehicles equipped with the TRW parking brake system, dealers will install a redesigned parking brake cable assembly. The recall began on July 29, 2005. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438 or GMC at 1-866-996-9463. For detailed information & supporting documents, see the official NHTSA page concerning recall #05V161000 »

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 07:45:04 PM »

Thanks Jared,
This give me a reason to drag out the jack and blocks and give it a try.
The cables are perfect the levers moves across the slots and back just fine.
I just assumed they were a mechanical part of the disc brakes and figured it would work better when I replaced the pads. Nothing changed so figured there was more to it when I get around to it. Last week I found they do nothing on a hill so figured it was time to get them fixed.
I have an automatic and never use them. 
Bruce, The rotors and wheels ride on studs. You remind me of my garage days and my dislike of wheel bolts.
W1UJR
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »

Studs, you don't say?
Thought they went the way of vacuum tubes and CW.  Wink

Gud luck Frank, hope the wx works for you, its been raining all day here.

-Bruce
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 10:05:30 PM »

Real cars use studs.
Ref: NASCAR, NHRA, INDY
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 11:18:35 PM »

... real studs race cars??

Grin

_-_-

dunno, couldn't resist, sorry...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 12:34:43 AM »

Ah, Yes...speaking of Indy.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »

NOW that is hot. And real unlike some bimbo wanna be 
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 08:13:25 PM »

She's better at taking off her clothes than winning races.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »

Well back to my problem. Probed around the lever slot and couldn't feel the star wheel so looks like I need to take it apart. PMO since I just replaced the pads. OH well it is more work to jack it up on blocks and take the tire off than anything else. Time to rotate the tires anyway.
DP got a raw deal at indy...but she is still hot.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 10:12:32 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LggD-l7SmAU&feature=related

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 10:22:48 AM »

That's okay! It's an attribute that could contribute to faster lap speeds. Wink

I'd consider going back into racing if she was on my team. Sell all those worthless radios and all that. Yeah.

Frank, you can be crew chief. Brakes? Who needs brakes? Brakes and rear view mirrors are for wusses.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015