The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:43:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help with my dx60b?  (Read 4701 times)
n9ysq
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:14:23 PM »

Hey anyone able to help me troubleshoot my dx60?  I was tuning it for the first time since i got it and turned the loading too far i think. i heard a pop and the power went out on the vfo and rig. have i damaged the 6146? any ideas?
WB2YGF
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:51:38 PM »

How long has it been since it was last turned on?

Has it been recapped?  First thing I did with mine is recap it cuz it hadn't been powered up in over 20 years. 

Guess I would first try try to figure out the condition of the power supply section

Is there AC to the  primary?  The primary has a circuit breaker - I assume it's self-resetting.
Filament voltage?
+ 300V?
+ 600V?
-160V Bias?
n9ysq
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »

not sure on recap.  looks new underneath, ham i bought it from said he had been using it up to a couple of years ago.  all tubes lit. power supplies make me nervous, not like my 12v mfj cub ya know.  i was un aware of a breaker, perhaps after it sits overnight it may revive tomorrow evening.  i will probably pick up a 6146 anyway tomorrow.  rig was very clean underneath and caps looked recent, though not orange drop.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:14:07 PM »

Fuse?
WB2YGF
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:21:47 PM »

Fuse?
The DX-60B has a circuit breaker (Heath P/N 65-9).  They don't list a rating for it in the parts list or on the schematic.  It is hard-wired under the chassis and looks like an over-sized neon bulb.

(IIRC, the DX-60 (non-B) I originally had, had fuses built into the power plug.)

Oh, and if you have the unit plugged into a power strip, make sure the power strip did not blow a fuse or breaker.
n9ysq
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:33:19 PM »

does  the circuit breaker reset? if so how? or does it have to be replaced like a fuse? forgive my ignorance i live in a 12 volt world and am barely more than an appliance operator.  most of my transmitters run on aa batteries and put out 5 watts or less. I have not seen any fuses. i have not had the radio on since my first post and unplugged it at that time. how long should i wait for the caps to discharge for my safety?  thanks for all your help. i love this hobby and AM/CW are my favorite modes.  especially if it glows.
WB2YGF
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »

I assume the circuit breaker resets, particularly since there is no replacement info given.  I have never tripped the breaker, so I don't have first hand experience.

The HV should bleed down within a minute.  The HV lamp is connected across the 600V supply.  It goes out pretty quickly (probably at around 70V).

Do you have the manual/schematic?

Do you have, and know how to use, an ohm-meter?

First thing I would do is ohm out the breaker to make sure it is not open.

With the switch in the on position, you should see the transformer primary resistance across the line plug.
n9ysq
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:14:10 PM »

I have a volt meter that has a contunity tester, but i doubt that it would handle hv. i also have an old heathkit though i have never used it as it came to me second hand and dont know if it works. between now and saturday night i hope to have time to get back to the rig again.  work work work unfortunately.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:46:40 PM »

I have a volt meter that has a contunity tester, but i doubt that it would handle hv. i also have an old heathkit though i have never used it as it came to me second hand and dont know if it works. between now and saturday night i hope to have time to get back to the rig again.  work work work unfortunately.

You might want to find a local 'elmer' who can help you... 

You don't use a continuity tester with voltage applied....  The things you are saying (as you admitted to) raise the possibility of death.... 

I have a friend who was killed by a Heathkit Warrior...  So I know what CAN happen.  I've also picked myself up from across a room from a Heathkit tube type TV.

--Shane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015