The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 03:52:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Related antenna topic  (Read 3348 times)
KE6DF

« on: January 23, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »

Thanks for the responses to my question about antenna tuners.

Perhaps someone can give me some advice (other than moving) for what to do about an antenna.

I live in one of those restricted, planned communities in California.

The CC&R say no antenna except a small satellite dish is allowed.

The equipment I have includes an IC-718.

I also have an ART-13 similar to the one I had as a kid in the 1960's. I'm working on a power supply for it. I figure that will be my main AM rig.

Finally, I have an ancient Heath HW-32 20 meter monobander that hasn't been on the air for 30+ years and probably needs  new caps. (That is a back burner project, at best, given I already have the 718).

I would like to get into AM and that probably means 80 meters.

I have a couple choices for antennas:

1. I can run a long wire antenna under the eaves where no one can see it. The longest straight leg would be about 50 ft, plus going around the corner of the house, I could get another 20 ft in a L configuration. This would be about 20 ft off the ground as this is a two story house.

2. I can put up a 20 meter dipole also under the eaves (about 20 ft off the ground).

I will probably do both because I am interested in AM plus digital modes (and 20M is a hotbed for that).

I can probably use the ART-13 pretty well with a long wire with no tuner. After all, it was designed to work in various aircraft with different antenna lengths.

But I need some way to tune the 718 to a long wire to put it on lower bands like 160, 80, and 40

I have grand plans to build a linear and another plate modulated AM rig at some point, but right now I'm trying to walk before I run and get something on the air.

Suggestions appreciated.

Dave

W1EUJ
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »

Step 1: Move.

Just kidding.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 02:26:58 PM »

try my antenna, its only 60' total lenght.

* short ant.pdf (483.04 KB - downloaded 223 times.)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 04:11:55 PM »

Mount your permitted TV Dish on a 120' tower??

Seriously, if your house is 2 stories or better try Slabs antenna or  a trapped dipole in the attic. The dipole can be folded aroung a bit to fit (google trapped dipoles, and coax baluns there is a fellow in you situation who did this very thing and runs 80-10 meters from an attic dipole)  RFI in your house might be an issue too.   

IF you can't go indoors then you can build a very stealthy dipole outside using rather fine gage magnet wire (as thin as 26 IF you are carefull with erection and supports) and homebrew open wire.  Use monofilament fishing line at the ends and where you need suppports, keep the conductor a continous section (end of antenna down one side of feed line = one peice of wire) use thin peices of clear styrene (CD cases can be a good source cut into 0.25 in strips and 1-2 inch lenght - if your using a tuna, line impedance won't matter too much) for spreaders this will be damn near invisible under most conditions (unless the CCR nazi's have good optics and know where to look)   You won't be able to run more than 100 watts or so depending on the size of the wire you use.  Try and get some that has a lighter colored coating. 

Alternate, try the flag-pole disguised vertical. Most CCR's allow a flagpole. If you build a decorative 'box" for "landscaping" at the base, you can hide the matching network there.   You might end up single band, but you'll be able to operate.

Other option, fine wire low loop around the property - Tell 'em its one of those invisible fences for the dog or something.  Wink   

Final with unknown chances for success -  Make your antenna of insulated wire and seal it well, ends, joints seams everything and just lay it right on the gournd.  It will work. How well will depend heavily on the ground, and surrounding area.  This is the Armageddon antenna (nothing left standing).

Good luck.

and Next time tell the XYL YOU get to pick the house.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
VA3AEX
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:49 AM »

Just ran across the post.  I run a Heathkit Apache into a trapped dipole folded into a "Z" shape in the attic about 28' above the ground.  The attic is typical new home construction - pine framing, plywood and asphalt shingles.  There is no HVAC piping, and no electrical wiring; both eves and gutters are aluminum.  I run RG8 down to the basement shack via PVC conduit routed through closets.

Its definitely a comprimise set up.  The antenna exhibits strong polarization: on the 'strong' side I get S9 reports on 75M out about 100 miles; and S4-5 out to 175 miles; on the 'weak' side I get S5 reports out 20 miles.  I get RFI into the upstairs portable phone (it rings when I key the mic) but as yet no complaints from the neighbours.  Still having fun though...

73  Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015