The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:26:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tetrodes in Grounded Grid mode.  (Read 5034 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: May 21, 2008, 08:58:14 PM »

Is there a simple rule of thumb type equation to predict the output of a tetrode like a 4-250 or 4-400 if run as a grounded grid amp? I know they are less efficient in that mode, but I'm just curious as to how bad they really are.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:49:27 PM »

Is there a simple rule of thumb type equation to predict the output of a tetrode like a 4-250 or 4-400 if run as a grounded grid amp? I know they are less efficient in that mode, but I'm just curious as to how bad they really are.

Ed,

Here's a few general guidelines....

Figure the GG LINEAR tetrode amp will have about 11-13 db of gain or so. 
For example, about 100W drive in gives about 1500W out or so.  These are rough figures. Compare this to a grid driven tetrode amplifier OR a GG triode that is designed for linear service that will do gains of 20db or more.  But gain isn't everything.

Figure the power output pep will be about twice the plate dissipation, maximum, to be reasonably clean. So, a pair of 4-400's GG (800W diss) will do about 1600w out max.  A GG linear 4-1000A with reasonable voltage and drive will do about 2KW pep out, etc.    Of course, with real high voltages and high drive (abuse) you can almost double that power out, but the signal will be very dirty and splatter like heck.

Use forward biased diodes in the fil transformer  CT to set the plate current idle to about 1/3-1/2 the tube's total plate dissipation for the cleanest signal.

BTW, the tube's plate efficiency is roughly the same whether run grid driven or GG (cathode driven).  You are still pulling screen and grid current either way, and the plate structure and tank don't know the difference. In fact, since some the input drive power at the GG cathode is ADDED in series to the tubes's output power, GG is probably a little more efficient.  (minus the drive power lost in the grid and screen)

The built-in negative feedback of GG operation is a plus too.

Hope this helps.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:49:47 PM »

Diode voltage drop is a function of current, and this will change the bias over the audio cycle causing a small amount of distortion. A reduction in this distortion can be obtained by putting a bypass capacitor across the bias diode(s). The reactance of the capacitor at the lowest audio frequency should be less than a tenth of (Vbias/Ik), so maybe 1000uF/16V is good, bypassed with a 0.01uF cap forany RF that slips in.  It is only a small improvement, but it is also only a small cost.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:28:24 PM »

Diode voltage drop is a function of current, and this will change the bias over the audio cycle causing a small amount of distortion. A reduction in this distortion can be obtained by putting a bypass capacitor across the bias diode(s). The reactance of the capacitor at the lowest audio frequency should be less than a tenth of (Vbias/Ik), so maybe 1000uF/16V is good, bypassed with a 0.01uF cap forany RF that slips in.  It is only a small improvement, but it is also only a small cost.

Thanks for the suggestion, Patrick.   I added a 10,000 ufd  50V cap and a .01  across the diode bias stack today.

Later -

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015