The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:19:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using TS-430 as a receiver  (Read 5451 times)
Jerry-n5ugw
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:50:01 AM »

Anybody tried using a TS-430 as a receiver? If so Wat was the hook-up. I'm thinking of using the TS-430 for my receiver and paring it with a DX-60B& hg-10B in to the Amp. After audio mods of course. Thanks
KA1ZGC
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:23:51 AM »

I considered it, but there's no easy way to arrange muting the 430. I suppose if you're going to mod the thing anyway, you might try adding that feature. I'm not sure exactly how you'd want to accomplish it, but there's got to be a wire somewhere in the rig that mutes the receiver when pulled to ground.

You could crank the AF and RF drive levels all the way down and just key the 430 along with your transmitter (as long as you have a changeover relay), but you run the risk of leaving the drive up by accident.

I thought better of it and brought the 129X to that station instead.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:58:12 AM »

In my setup, a Viker Val-i-ain't Two and an R-388 I don't mute the receiver at all!
The Ant relay, a Dow-Key appears to apply sufficient attenuation so that the receiver acts very nicely like an on-the-air monitor. I am about 10 feet from the speaker, and with the D104, no feedback happens unless I face the mic at the spkr. ( the S meter makes it to about 20 over, no more than that...)

Would likely work with any rig...

One could use a double relay/double key system where you have two Dowkey relays, the one on the 430 would on xmit dump to a dummy load (you'd keep the carrier control all the way down, but in case of error...), on receive back to the receive ant, which would be keyed by the Dow-key on the xmiter... one might sequence it effectively by using the external relay contacts on the dow-key relays, and not key the xmiter directly (the mic keys the relay, the relay keys the xmiter, etc...). You'd have to work out the timing on that - the main thing is to not be possible to key the xmiter into the 430, the other way around is likely not such a big issue, although with two relays, not likely to ever happen.

But if you key the relay on the back of ur xmiter, and that keys the rig, then there is zero chance of the rig putting out RF before that Dowkey flips to the xmit mode...

Grin

_-_-Wombat Bear Two Gobblins Chickens Rabbits

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Jerry-n5ugw
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »

Sounds like I better just pick up a receiver for the AM and set-up the station for switchible ssb from the TS-430 into the amp or AM into the amp. I have the switch so no big deal.
AF9J
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:25:26 PM »

There is "sort" of a way to mute your TS-430.  But, it means letting your HG-10B collect dust.  Basically, you'd use your TS-430 in CW mode, at a QRP power level to feed the DX-60B as the VFO (if the TS-430 has it, the transverter output from it would also work). Keying up the TS-430 during transmit on the DX-60B would in effect mute the TS-430's receiver.   You would also retain use of the TS-430's receiver when not transmitting.  A few issues ago, the above scheme was mentioned in ER. I also know a ham, who's planning to use this scheme (but, substituting a TS-450, and a Viking II), so he can cut down on the amount of radio gear he's taking with him to a job location he has to be at for a few months.

Ellen - AF9J
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:20:12 PM »

A simple way would be to wire the speaker lead in series with a normally closed relay contact on a Dow-Key Antenna relay. This assumes you are using a Dow-Key (or something similar) to switch the antenna between receiver and transmitter. When Dow-Key is not active, receiver hears. Key the transmitter and activate the Dow-Key relay, and receiver is muted (it breaks the speaker connection). For additional receiver front-end RF protection, use a coax tee connector on the antenna input connector of the TS-430. One side goes to the Dow-Key receiver port and on the other, use a PL-259 with back-to-back !N34-type diodes from center post to connector ground.

With this arrangement, boatanchor with TS430 works into the antenna and TS-430 as a transceiver will work into the same antenna without any recabling (Dow-Key becomes passive pass-through for the antenna connection). If you plan to use the TS-430 stand alone, DON'T use the back-to-back diodes. Naturally, DON'T try to transmit  with both rigs at the same time.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K9ACT
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 01:10:44 AM »

A simple way would be to wire the speaker lead in series with a normally closed relay contact on a Dow-Key Antenna relay.

A breath of fresh air. This thread seams like a solution looking for a problem.  What could be simpler?

Using the 430 as a driver and receiver with an AM transmitter gets a bit more complicated but disconnecting the speaker seems pretty obvious.

In fact, you don't even have to do that for CW as the AGC keeps things nice but on AM you will get feed back.

js

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 05:44:39 PM »

I like the idea of using the 430 as the VFO too...

One could use a "T" resistive divider at the output of the 430 to drop the level down to the appropriate level for the boatanchor's VFO input... the first two legs would be ~50ohms, split so that the level coming out was like a few volts (assuming that is the level needed) the resistor out of that point would be relatively high Z so that no matter what a bunch of power would not make it to the VFO input, just voltage.

One could also add a simple pot out there to set the level...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
AF9J
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 10:59:15 PM »

Yep,

Geoff, W5OMR plans on using his TS-450 as the receiver, and the VFO for his Viking II,  while he's spending the next several months working in the Big Easy.   The March 2008 issue of ER, mentions a scheme on P.40, for using a modern transceiver as a VFO.

Ellen - AF9J
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »

Hi Jerry,
Do you have the 6KHz/wide AM filter installed? It makes a big difference in the reception.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Jerry-n5ugw
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »

Yes I have the 6k filter.. Don't have the ER.. I need to catch up with ol Geofy-boy and see how he lays it out. This might just work with a plate mod-er or DX-60. I gota get the darn Amp to 430 working first. Hey Geofy.. drop me a e-mail and let me where you are in this project??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015