The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:37:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I that far off on Prices  (Read 12374 times)
Jerry-n5ugw
« on: May 19, 2008, 09:20:14 AM »

Do Johnson Valiants really sell for $650 as in ePay... I was thinking of trading my TS-430 for a working valiant.. Man was i dreaming...or what
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:35:57 AM »

Depends...

Condition, and who is buying.

You might make that swap with someone who wants a decent SSB rig or portable rig and has an extra boatanchor, maybe that needs some work.

I've seen them for quite a bit less, even on ePay.

I think, not sure, I'd sell you my Valiant II with the modified high output modulator for that money...

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Rick K5IAR
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:50:37 AM »

Jerry,

I sold mine a few months back for $350.00.  It was in excellent condition electrically and had very few marks on the case and face.  I didn't have it on eBay, however, it was sold here on AMFone.  Keep an eye out, there are more out there for a decent price.

Rick/K5IAR
Jerry-n5ugw
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 10:11:10 AM »

No looking for a perty one Just one that works. I can modify it, used to have a Valiant, CE-20 w/458vfo and HQ-180a. I should have never traded it off. I learned more from that Valiant than all the other stuff I ever had.
I do not think I will find the trade but I would trade the TS-430 for the Valiant and the AL-811 w/573b's for the HQ-180a and maybe the CE-20. We'll see, one man's wants is anothers needs. Thanks
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 11:30:13 AM »

Welcome to the world of Overpriceness OM..It's a Shame...I seen a DX-40 go for a hundred an a half...with No Rocks...LOL...

I like what Bob said on Eham.....

I exchange parts with a close circle of ham radio people who I consider friends and real hams. That is the AM community. I get parts for free or a very modest price. Help is always on the way when needed. Unlike the typical SSB whacker type or the one thinking of making a quick unhonest buck instead of helping fellow brethren out. I'd rather associate myself with people who are notoriously known for keeping the ham tradition alive and their generosity and who will help out a fellow ham.

Most Excellent Posting.....

Jerry-n5ugw
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:41:56 AM »

What did he say... What did he say???
ka3zlr
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:46:56 AM »

I forgot to click paste... Grin Woops....LOL....................
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »

ebay is great. but you cant expect to get get " collector quality" gear without paying collector prices. Me, I'll take the hammy hambone route and look for the most beat up looking crap I can get that is sill whole and has all the parts, or is only missing parts I have. refinishing and powder coating are cheap as hell, and I don't care if it looks factory or not.

I'd black wrinkle everything I have. You cant improve on perfection. I may in fact black wrinkle both my Yeasu's. The DRB box will be when the metal work is done, and I might just gloss white wrinkle the Gonset amps.  Cool

I'll be the coolest mutha since undercover brotha.  Wink 

* 5684_001.jpg (25.9 KB, 450x600 - viewed 400 times.)
Jerry-n5ugw
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 01:55:40 PM »

Your a hoot Derb... Yahsuees in black wrinkle.. that would be kewl. After thinking on it more a DX-100b or TX-1 would be a better choice.. Now to find a local between Rockmart, Ga. and Lexington, AL. who wants a TS-430 loaded with all of the filters and mods. Solid state just ain't my thang.. Then trade the AL-811 for a good receiver and what ever else.. Hummmm..day dreamin... doo-waa diddy.. by the cool jays
W1UJR
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 08:52:39 PM »

Where is Elvira these days?

WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 08:53:44 PM »

Gee I hope she is still on LA tv.
W1UJR
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 09:09:30 PM »

LA TV?
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 05:51:12 AM »

Welcome to the world of Overpriceness OM..It's a Shame...I seen a DX-40 go for a hundred an a half...with No Rocks...LOL...

I like what Bob said on Eham.....

I exchange parts with a close circle of ham radio people who I consider friends and real hams. That is the AM community. I get parts for free or a very modest price. Help is always on the way when needed. Unlike the typical SSB whacker type or the one thinking of making a quick unhonest buck instead of helping fellow brethren out. I'd rather associate myself with people who are notoriously known for keeping the ham tradition alive and their generosity and who will help out a fellow ham.

Most Excellent Posting.....

Jack,
       AMEN to all you said above!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »

LOL indeed! As long as dumb hams are willing to pay that much money for a radio that was a piece of junk new, others will sell it to them. God bless America!

Elvira is about 100 years old now. I don't think there is enough makeup, plastic surgery or silicone that will make her something worth looking at now.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »

Your speakin of Cassy Petersen...  Actually she never was that much of a LOOKER!

She should be in her 60's or so now and I think as I recall, retired from late night TV...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
AF9J
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 10:44:51 PM »

I saw her on a talk show a few years ago.  She has a daughter in her 20s (who was on the talk show with her), and has been married for a long time.  She looks nothing like Elvira in person.  She has brown hair, and while she isn't a supermodel in looks, she's not ugly.

Ellen - AF9J
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 10:53:43 PM »

Hey, I didn't say she was "ugly"...  Just not all that much of a "looker"...
To each their own, said the farmer as he kissed his cow!

And, perhaps I miss judged her age a bit,,,,   Sorry...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 10:57:07 PM »

Put big knockers on a piece of cardboard and most guys will go nuts.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 03:20:51 AM »

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 03:28:23 AM »

Put big knockers on a piece of cardboard and most guys will go nuts.

Whew, that's quite a statement! I happen to represent that remark. Nuthin wrong with big knockers, jugs, hooters, headlights, dagmars, or whatever you care to call them. Kind of like the shiny chrome front end of a '55 Cadillac comin right at ya. You gotta take a second look!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
ka3zlr
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 05:36:13 AM »

Yeaaaaa, BIG Ones.... Grin
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 07:09:40 AM »

Watermellons. Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 07:33:32 AM »

Bodacious Ta Ta's

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 07:37:58 AM »

Without getting graphic or verbose, it's left up to ones' imagination on how they can be manipulated to ones' benefit, or just left alone to enjoy. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder!

Did someone say "art for art's sake"?

Either way works for me!

Joe Cro N3IBX

W1UJR
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 07:43:41 AM »

From Wikipedia: Cassandra Peterson (born September 17, 1951) is an American actress best known for her on-screen horror host persona "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark". She gained fame on Los Angeles television station KHJ wearing a black, gothic, cleavage-enhancing gown as host of Movie Macabre, a weekly horror movie presentation. Her wickedly vampish appearance was offset by her comical character, quick-witted personality and Valley girl-type speech.

Cassandra in real life

And in costume

Which do you prefer?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015