The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:18:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: using 4-125 as triode connected modulator  (Read 2992 times)
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« on: May 14, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »

I am curious to know if this can be done in similar fashion as 6AQ5 thru 803/813.  I have looked thru my handbooks with nary a hit.

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:50:43 AM »

John,

I have not heard of 4-125's used triode-connected in audio modulator service yet, but they should work just fine in that config.

I'm a big fan of triode-connecting certain tetrodes because of the simplicity and excellent results.

My thinking is that the 4-1000A works superbly well triode-connected. The 4-400 does too. The 4-250 / 4-125 are just little brothers of these two bigger tubes, so should work well also.

Even the 813, being a much different tube, does a wonderful, clean job when triode connected.

This should help until someone chimes in with actual experience using them.

If you try it, let us know how it works out.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
John K5PRO

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:34:58 PM »

As long as you don't exceed the grid or screen dissipation, (V x I) triode connected tetrodes are OK. There have been warnings from Eimac and Bill Orr literature somewhere, about this. I think it is more tricky when you bias the grids with proper voltage, AND ground them for RF service, and try to operate cathode driven mode. This shouldn't be problem with audio, as the gain is back down to what a triode would be (or worse). Maybe it was one of the old Eimac Ham app notes?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015