The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:37:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6.35 mm plate  (Read 3273 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« on: May 13, 2008, 01:10:30 PM »

I have come accross a 4' X 5' piece of 1/4" plate glass fer free. I need to cut it; I've cut "normal" window type glass, but never anything like this. Any Clues/advise/dumb comments on how to do this with the least amount of risk of life?  Tnx,  klc

What? Me worry?
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:30:17 PM »

Is it tempered glass?

My understanding is that, once tempered, glass cannot be cut without causing it to shatter into tiny pieces.

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »

I don't think the glass is tempered, and I think ur right r/e tempered glass cutting. Maybee reheating it to 'loose' the tempering would work, but THATS not going to be done by mee..  klc

What? Me worry?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:03:46 PM »

Kevin,
         Feel the edges of the glass. If they are sharp enough to cut you, it is annealed glass and you can cut it easily. If the edges are somewhat smooth or slightly rounded over and devoid of sharp edges, it is most likely tempered. It is cut to size first and then run back into the oven for tempering. This process melts over the hair-sharp edges formed in the cutting process. also most often tempered glass has a mfr's mark in one corner.

If it is annealed, feel free to cut it. If it is tempered, hit it with a hammer and shovel up and discard the pieces of "rock candy" as that is all you can do with it. It will shatter when you try to score it with the cutter.

Tempered glass can be cut, but it requires a diamond grinding wheel and a water bath. Not to mention the 50-50 chance that it will still shatter anyway.
The price for this far exceeds the cost of having it remade to the correct size.

(This is what I do for a living) (I sell commercial glass and glazing)

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »

Oh Tay, then it's probably tempered. It's got the 'rounded ' corners. I did look fer the markings, but I did not see any. I guess i'll put on the respirator and go to town with my other big maul.........  klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 04:34:08 PM »

sounds like it would make a nice solar collector. What is it 200 BTU/foot squared
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015