The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:41:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: betta than Hambone made it  (Read 2447 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: May 07, 2008, 01:19:00 AM »

After my first input coil supports broke on the tuna, I decided to tear it down and do everything right. While looking at the bare chassis,  I figured out how to add switches for anything else I may want to use them for. I still have to re-assemble the actual switches, but this way of doing things is sure better than what hambone did.

the ceramic switch mounting hole in the back is drilled to fit and a insulated coupling is used to tie it to the main bandswitch. The ceramic switch mount in the back just follows the main bandswitch in the front. doesn't change the feel of it one bit.

I can switch fixed micas, switch taps on the input coil, do a lot of things a regular KW matchbox cant do, and no additional holes on the front panel. I have space up to 4 poles. This is the way it should be done.  Cheesy

* DSCN0447.jpg (129.71 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 372 times.)

* DSCN0450.jpg (161.78 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 371 times.)

* DSCN0451.jpg (185.57 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 349 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:17:29 AM »

Hell yeah - if you're gonna hambone something, at least do it right. Smiley

The final result should be amazing, Tim - considering what you started with. And best of all - it'll work like you expect it to.

Keep those updates coming.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 05:52:41 PM »

mods are only bad if they are done in js fashion or without regard for the gears value. My first attempt at a input coil was hambone. it broke. Next one wont be. I am not anti mod, I am anti JS-Hammy Hambone mod, where the gear just gets torn up without regard.

All I gots to say, is wait until you see the finished product.  Wink  It will be the supercharged V-8 of KW Matchboxes, and the collectors will gnash their teeth.  Cheesy
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:01:36 PM »

since I have no use for the tuner on any band higher than 40 meters, I'm going to build it back up to optimize it for 40-80-160 and possibly receive on he BCL band. At this point, it's more of a homebrew project using matchbox parts.

I need to figure what values of added C and L I need to get it comfy on 160.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015