The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:05:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walt Cranmer, W2AWR, SK  (Read 2669 times)
W3DBB

« on: April 24, 2008, 08:09:52 AM »

Doug

beautiful downtown Strodes Mills, Pennsylvania
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »

Back in 1950 when I was packin' heat and fixing radios with the Wilmington DE P.D.,
we  went from a 30 Mc system to 152 Mc.  (155.130 base talk, 156.090 mobile reply).

Of course, all that old mobile gear (Harvey UHX-10's, composits & RCA 25 waters) we had ended up in a pile in one corner of the radio shop waiting for RCA to pick them  up.  After several weeks and no action from RCA, I contacted the salesman and he said they would stop by and collect it and send it to a local land fill...

Sooo, being  young and whatever, I asked him; if that was what they planned, would they consider donating the "junk" to me? His answer was "YES, you can have it, saves us the trouble of a special trip, etc, etc, etc"...

As I recall, I delivered one complete 30 Mc mobile  radio set-up, 6 volt DC input, to Walt over at the lumber yard and he invited me home for dinner before my return drive back to Wilmington...

Yes, he was on AM as well, used to work him in the late afternoons around 5:30 or so as i recall, around the 3880 kc area.

Haven't heard him for a few years but then I don't often tune up to the area where he was hanging out with what was left of that afternoon crowd.

RIP Walt, it was a great time...

Ralph W3GL (W3AGC/W3NNK)

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Tim WA1HnyLR

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:17:55 PM »

Yes I certainly remember W2AWR. He used to operate on slopbucket on 3890 every late afternoon/ early evening. He put out a lot of trash that made operating AM on 3885 difficult. 3890 always seemed infested with a number of nests of slopbuckets . Up in New England there was K1NBR, Another  splattery slopbucketeer that operated on 3890 in the late afternoon. Hence the term No Balls Radio (phonetics for K1NBR) radio slopbucket group. After K1NBR crapped out W2AWR became the focal point of my wrath. Yep the W2 AssWipeRadio  slopbucket group. Not that I am being too disrespectful of Walts passing ,but I certainly remember the pain he would inflict on my ham radio operating pleasure. Tim WA1HnyLR
n1exi

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 08:01:01 PM »

Think about the qrm here just 3 miles north on this island - but well respected and a nice obit in the local paper mentioning his amateur activities.
Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015