The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:45:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A very STUPID video from Greenpeace  (Read 4673 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: April 20, 2008, 03:48:04 AM »

I am often sympathetic with the causes espoused by Greenpeace, not that I blindly follow their party line.

But this, which took place in Berlin, has to rank right up there amongst the most retarded acts that I have ever seen.

Green Piece of Sh!t

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WZ1M

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:33:51 AM »

Not to "BRIGHT"
AF9J
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 11:20:29 AM »

I don't get it!  Why are so many people of that ilk, such techno morons?  Do they forget the energy costs of making CFLs?  Do they forget the hazmat disposal issues with them?  Yes LEDs in the future will possibly make this a moot point, but why embrace CFLs as being a savior type of device.  These are the same type of fools who espoused ethanol.   Look at how much of a joke that's turning out to be.  Food prices are shooting up because of land being take out of use to grow food.  Brazil's "energy independence" is coming at the expense of using slash and burn growing in the Amazon rain forest to grow the sugar cane used to make their ethanol.  I'm at a loss.

Ellen - AF9J
Joe Long
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »

Because it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 01:26:44 PM »

Does anyone remember the campaign circa 1956, to have people exchange carbon filament light bulbs for regular tungsten ones? Many of those old turn-of-the-century carbon filaments had been faithfully burning for over half a century, but the problem was that they commonly had a negative resistance characteristic that caused them to self-oscillate in the VHF range, causing interference to TV reception. So the industry launched a drive to get people to swap each bulb even for a new tungsten-filament bulb (that might last 6 months). They promised to crush all the carbon-filament ones they collected, to make sure they could never find their way into a socket to interfere with another TV, ever again. I remember reading about the campaign in Radio and Television News, Popular Mechanics, Popular Science and maybe in Popular Electronics.

The last time I was at the Dayton flea market, a vendor had a collection of those "antique" pear-shaped carbon filament bulbs with the little evacuation tit on top of the glass, selling them for something like $30 each.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »

Ya know the more I think about it...there are too many folks out there with too much time on their hands...
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 03:59:22 PM »

What an idiotic stunt.   Did you read the comments after the YouTube video?   Not one positive.

But did you notice how hard it was to crush the bulbs?    Being round and slippery the brave little bulbs just scooted out of the way.   The steam roller finally got them but it wasn't easy.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »

I suppose the pollution from the steamroller, the pollution from making all the (apparently new) lightbulbs, their original plastic, paper, and ink packing, the cardboard cartons, and the mess (glass, filament material, specian metals, lead solder, etc. ) now ground into the street only to leach out into the water table when the next rain comes, were worth it to those wasteful idiots to make a statement. It would be better if they would turn off -their- air conditioners and heaters and take the bus to work, but I bet many don't.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 01:45:48 PM »

Mmmm... seemed like a real enthusiastic crowd watching the whole "event". Total silence with a few random bulbs popping as they got caught by the environmentally helpful steamroller. I'm sure we will be much safer with the banning of incandescent bulbs and the move to the new and improved mercury laden (CFL) fluorescent bulbs. It amazes me how our government scrambles to look like it is "doing something" and blunders into even more trouble for its efforts. No problem, we will end up paying for it all...

Rob W1AEX

Consumers in dark over risks of new light bulbs
Push for energy-saving fluorescents ignores mercury disposal hazards

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55213

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »

Mmmm... seemed like a real enthusiastic crowd watching the whole "event". Total silence with a few random bulbs popping as they got caught by the environmentally helpful steamroller. I'm sure we will be much safer with the banning of incandescent bulbs and the move to the new and improved mercury laden (CFL) fluorescent bulbs. It amazes me how our government scrambles to look like it is "doing something" and blunders into even more trouble for its efforts. No problem, we will end up paying for it all...

Rob W1AEX

Consumers in dark over risks of new light bulbs
Push for energy-saving fluorescents ignores mercury disposal hazards

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55213
Do compact fluorescents contain more mercury than ordinary fluorescents like the ones I have in my kitchen under cabinet lights or in the shop?
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »

Good question. I'm not sure about the quantity of mercury in the CFL devices. For that matter, I have no clue how much is in fluorescent tubes either. I only know at work that rooms had to be evacuated if maintenance was replacing any fluorescent tubes because of concerns about the mercury vapor that is released if they break. Then again, when I was a kid you could buy globs of mercury and play with it or dunk your dimes in it to make them shiny! Now, if a mercury thermometer breaks in a science lab at school they evacuate the entire building. I guess we were just really tough kids to have survived all that!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015