The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:18:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK, SEEMS LIKE A BARGAIN??  (Read 3593 times)
K7NCR
« on: April 08, 2008, 01:31:26 AM »

What do you think? If I were closer, and richer$$, this seems like a pretty decent price for these radios.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Antique-Radios-and-Riders-Books_W0QQitemZ160227764619QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38033QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Norm K7NCR
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 06:25:09 AM »

the philco 90 is the bomb, rest of them not worth all that much. If you want to start a collection without hunting and dont mind paying more at one time, it's a ok deal, but not a great one.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »

Like Derb said....The Philco 90 is the greatest prize.  Those old consoles ("uprights", Hi-boys, Lo-boys, etc.) look very nice and seem like they should be valuable, but, in fact, they just do not bring a lot of money.  Would be a nice collection, however, to get started.  Takes up way too much space though.  I have a garage full of 30's-40's vintage consoles.  Great fun to collect and restore...but take up far too much room needed for workshop..  I still really enjoy collecting antique radios, especially cathedrals, tombstones, and other wood-table models.  I love the consoles, but need to reduce my collection to more manageable space.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 03:13:46 PM »

Why is the 90 better?  I'm very green on this stuff. Older tubes and better components?, TRF?

RICK  *W3RSW*
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 08:22:40 PM »

I believe it's the AK 66; I have one that looks almost identical to it, but in mine, an AK 55, the dial and knobs are on top and the speaker is at the bottom.  The one shown in the photo was designed ass-backwards.  The controls and tuning dial are way down near the floor.  You had to squat down or stoop over to tune it.  Weird!  Wouldn't have made a very good radio for grandma and grandpa in their old age.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 11:34:47 PM »

the Philco 70 and 90 are considered the standard in styling for cathedral radios of that time period, and have been popular with collectors for years upon years. they dont even have AVC. The coils in them tend to break as well, leading to a dead radio.

I have a GE reproduction cathedral sitting bedside, and unlike the "Thomas" crap repros you cant tell it's a repro by looking at it. It actually has a lacquer finish on it and real grille cloth with a natural aged looking brass tuning dial surround. Unless you look hard for the FM switch, it looks like a 30's GE.

Once i get the ham stuff fixed one way or the other, I'm looking forward to restoring the RCA 6T2 console I got up in PA for 40 bucks. 160, 75, 40, 20 coverage, tuned front end, good audio with a 12" electro dyno-ramic speaker. Not as good as a P-P chassis but no slouch. The
pre war RCA's and GE's, along with the Zenith's with more than 7 tubes, all can serve as a main station reciever for am but not for bsttle conditions. I'm going to use the RCA in the guest bedroom with it's own longwire antenna switched to ground to avoid blowing out the front end.
W4RON
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 06:40:40 AM »

I have seen Philco 90s bring $600 or more for a nice one.
The AK is a model 66 and if I'm not mistaken it has
a pair of 50s in the audio output stage, they're worth
good money by themselves.

Floor models are neat be like others have said, they take up
too much room, I have about 12 and there's no more room.

73, Ron W4RON
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/menu.html 
http://cloughbrengle.homestead.com/ 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015