The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:52:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thermador CS-2160, again  (Read 3364 times)
Barrie
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:48:54 PM »

Several months ago I asked if anyone knew the specs on a Thermador CS-2160 modulation transformer, with no luck.

After some cleaning, I have more information from the specification tag.

Primary is 6700 ohms
Secondary is 4500, 5000 or 5500 ohms
Max operating level is +47 db
Weight is 20 lbs

I suspect that the +47 db may have something to do with the modulation capability, but I don't have a clue.

Anyone less clueless?

73, Barrie, W7ALW
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:05:23 PM »

Barrie,

The 47 dB specification is probably the maximum audio operating level above 0 dBm (1 milliwatt).

This translates to 50 watts of audio power.

This being the case, this mod xfmr is probably designed to modulate a 100 watt RF input final amplifier stage to 100%.

Hope this helps!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 04:58:54 PM »

The 47 dB specification is probably the maximum audio operating level above 0 dBm (1 milliwatt).

In that case it would be specified as 47dBm.  I would say that 47 dB is more likely to mean 47 dB above 0 dB @ 6 milliwatts reference.

Older equipment used 6 mw as the reference level, but nowadays almost everything is referenced to dBm.  I'm  not sure exactly when the change was made.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 05:12:17 PM »

Don,

Obviously, that would make a big difference in the power handling capability of this transformer.

If what you are suggesting is correct, that would mean this transformer is rated at 300 watts of audio, and not 50 watts as I am suggesting.

The weight of this transformer is given as 20 lbs. That sounds rather light for a transformer that is rated at 300 watts of audio, even if the frequency response at the low-end is strictly communications-grade. The audio response was not defined by Barrie.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 05:36:24 PM »

20 lbs seems a bit low for a 300 watt transformer, and a bit high for a 50 watter, but usually 0 dB reference is written as dBm.

Somewhere around here I have one of the smaller hermetically sealed BC-610 mod transformers, rated for about 250 watts of audio, and I doubt if it even weighs 20  lbs.  But I have a 125 watt multi-match that probably weighs 15 lbs.

It could be a "communications grade" audio unit, and achieves lightness in weight by limiting the low frequency response.  One example of this is the ART-13 modulation transformer.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015