The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:55:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sherwood SE3 VS SoftRock SDR  (Read 3695 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: March 24, 2008, 07:25:21 PM »

Hello folks
maybe I should set up to take a poll, but a few sentances here and there and valuable comments might be better.

As some on this board have built the SoftRock Lite and downloaded some SDR software, I am wondering how this little board would compare to the Sherwood SE3 which IMHO, was the best I have ever heard for eliminating the selective distortion from fading. Can the softRock Lite and the proper software with synchronous detector capabilities hold a candle to the Sherwood??? Chuck, K1KW HAD a Sherwood for sale and was overwhelmed with responses and many offers to buy the ONE he had. He wishes he could have 10 to sell.
Visiting the Sherwood site, the MKIII is obsolete because of lack of supply of certain IC's...............sooooooooooo naturally that means that a MKIV will be out on the market for around $599.....woooosh. I'm not trying to push the Sherwood high priced box, BUT it was unbelievable in the difference with and without the SE3.
I have owned other cheap engineered overnight circuit boards claiming to be synchronous detectors and they were junk and didn't do anything like the Sherwood.
Anybody experience a night and day difference using software?

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »

I had a chance to play with Chuck's SE3 and it worked very well. When it is done in software you get the loop performance the programmer designed in so there is no selection of loop filter constants like the SE3. The tighter you make the loop the better it sounds...but the harder it gets to acquire a lock. I've had a number of emails with Alberto the SDR master on this subject. I think he has improved his software. Flex software has a much wider capture range so it doesn't have the fidelity of the SE3 when the tight loop is selected. This is all just a software issue and with the right software it would be possible to duplicate the performance.
Alberto's VER .99 sounds the best when locked and has a nice phase meter but has problems when you listen to a round table and everyone is on a different frequency forcing you to reacquire the lock each time someone transmits. The SE3 would do the same thing if the loop switch was left in the tight loop position.
Chuck modified the loop filter if I remember to make it sound better.
I bet Sherwoods next SE is a DSP.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:30:06 PM »

Fwiw, looking at the schematic of the Sherwood, I don't see anything exotic that should be hard to buy... I do not know if the NE602 & 604 (think that's the right numbers) are out of production, but there ought to be a ton of them around.

You could build one.

WA1SOV has a design up here in the AM Window section I believe that ought to work as well... or so I am told.

Otoh, the SRL 6.x is $12 + a computer...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:41:27 AM »

I don't know why something as expensive as the SE-3 doesn't have two loop bandwidths, one for the unlocked condition, so the unit will lock more quickly and over a wider range. The second loop bandwidth would be very tight and would only kick in when the loop is locked, thus obtaining the improved noise rejection and fidelity you speak of.

As for the lock up time and switching between carriers in a break-in QSO, this is easily overcome by defaulting to a diode detector until the sync detector locks. Once locked, the output is soft switched to the sync detector. It is totally transparent to the user and you would hear no whoops, swishes or heterodynes. Doing this in software should be possible too.

I had a chance to play with Chuck's SE3 and it worked very well. When it is done in software you get the loop performance the programmer designed in so there is no selection of loop filter constants like the SE3. The tighter you make the loop the better it sounds...but the harder it gets to acquire a lock. I've had a number of emails with Alberto the SDR master on this subject. I think he has improved his software. Flex software has a much wider capture range so it doesn't have the fidelity of the SE3 when the tight loop is selected. This is all just a software issue and with the right software it would be possible to duplicate the performance.
Alberto's VER .99 sounds the best when locked and has a nice phase meter but has problems when you listen to a round table and everyone is on a different frequency forcing you to reacquire the lock each time someone transmits. The SE3 would do the same thing if the loop switch was left in the tight loop position.
Chuck modified the loop filter if I remember to make it sound better.
I bet Sherwoods next SE is a DSP.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:49:54 AM »

Steve,
That is exactly my suggestion to Alberto. SE3 you select the loop bandwidth with a switch. Still it could be automatic with a little extra hardware. I did that in a synthesizer I built around 1978 for a HB RX.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015