The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:55:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timonium Countdown  (Read 11658 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: March 24, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »

Just checked the wx, still a chance of showers on Saturday w/high around 60. There's plenty of time for the pattern to speed up a bit and get the rain gone before then, as forecast maps show clear sailing behind the front.

Friday is looking good, temps near 70 and no precip. Heat Wave!!  Grin

With respect to the joys of the aging process, feel free to remind me if I'm supposed to be bringing along any previously-promised parts etc. Right now the ol' mind is blank (big surprise there), but would hate to come all that way and forget something already arranged.

Looking forward to it!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:32:29 AM »

Should be fun. The WX is shaping up. See you on Friday!
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:54:36 AM »

With respect to the joys of the aging process, feel free to remind me if I'm supposed to be bringing along any ...

Good thing you reminded me Todd. I hope not to forget Bill WTK !  Grin
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »

Geez, I hope you don't!

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 07:10:46 PM »

Don't forget that 75A4 you promised to trade me for my rusty S-38, Todd!  I *will* be pissed if you forget that.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:45:24 PM »

hey John, Todd is a lot smarter now. I could have bought his KWM380 cheap but had no interest till I fixed it and found out how nice it was.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 09:46:01 AM »

And I wouldn't have minded to this day if you ended up with it, Frank - at least I would've known it was in good hands with someone who'd appreciate the engineering, flaws and all. You were on the one night I actually had it on the air when the big tx crapped out.

Johnny, you're confusing our deal with someone else. You promised me a plastic Kraco 23 ch CB, not the venerable and highly sought-after S-38. Can't be a whirlwide strapper without the Kraco! How's about I hire you to resurrect a hacked SP-200SX instead? C'mon, ya know ya wanna!!  Wink

I hope you're driving, Bill. I've heard stories about Bud's driving. Frightening, truly frightening. Something about how real men hunt, saving bullets, etc. And he did say something about bringing some deer chops to the party....

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »

Are you sure it wasn't the finest receiver ever made, the S20R?
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 09:58:56 AM »

Yeah, it'll be a fine time on the ol' Eastern seaboard.
Seamon you guys Saturday.  From latest wx report looks like it will be around 60 and nice. Hope that's accurate.
Um, how many c-chips does the ave. yayammer eat?

RICK  *W3RSW*
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:08:32 AM »

Um, how many c-chips does the ave. yayammer eat?

Depends on how many there are !!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 10:58:19 AM »

Are you sure it wasn't the finest receiver ever made, the S20R?

I'll have you know that the S19R with its German Silver Dial has it beat. And it's your Buddy too, tough to beat that. It was all downhill from there, with the SX-73, 88, and 115 signaling the death knell for Hallicrafters quality. It was just too difficult to improve on or even maintain their original pre-war perfection. How often do you hear of German Silver these days? Hm? Not since the greatest story ever told, I betcha.

Rick, I can easily polish off a bag of those things with some salsa in an evening of yammering with the guys on 80 AM. Beer makes them dissolve even faster.  Grin

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 11:07:45 AM »

I'm all over the German Silver dial. Gots one on my SX-17.

* germansilver.jpg (18.18 KB, 400x212 - viewed 393 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 12:45:48 PM »

<snip> Rick, I can easily polish off a bag of those things with some salsa in an evening of yammering with the guys on 80 AM. Beer makes them dissolve even faster. <snip>

chocolate chip cookies dipped in salsa, and washed down with beer?? Huh Huh

Now thats quite a message!! Shocked Shocked

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 01:39:03 PM »

Looking forward to seeing everyone over at Franks.  We will spend the morning at the fester and then head over to Franks early afternoon.  I will cook some TPL hot peppers Friday night so they will be fresh!   
joe GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »

I will cook some TPL hot peppers Friday night so they will be fresh!   

Great idea, Joe. They should go good with the seasoned venison chops I'm bringing for the grill !!

WE ain't gonna starve, that's for sure !
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »

chocolate chip cookies dipped in salsa, and washed down with beer?? Huh Huh

Now thats quite a message!! Shocked Shocked

Yessiree, us New Englanders take our radio food seriously.

'course, up here c-chips have always been corn chips, cookies having an extra word and all that. Not sure how well C-C-Cs (3Cs) go with hot peppers, eggplant, deer chops, and beer, but it sounds like we're gonna find out. Can't wait!

Joe, looking forward to seeing you as well, hadn't heard that you were coming until now, so this is indeed good news.

Buddly - COOL.  Grin 

ka3zlr
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 06:45:51 PM »

I Hope the weather Cooperates for yunns guyz....are there gona be any Pierogies....
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 09:31:08 AM »

WX looking pretty good. Gonna be a bit cool at the fest on Satuday morning. As long as it's not raining, I'll be happy.

Friday
Rain
90% chance of precipitation 
Hi: 52
Lo: 38

Saturday
Partly Cloudy
Hi: 49
Lo: 29

Sunday
Partly Cloudy
Hi: 49
Lo: 38

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »

This morning, the WX man wuz callin for rain on friday, clearing out by friday night and sunny and in the 50s for saturday Smiley Smiley   Hi HI FBOM!!!!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »

Like a dagger aimed at Timonium's heart !!

* radar_us_640x480.jpg (41.85 KB, 640x480 - viewed 390 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »

"Um, how many c-chips does the ave. yayammer eat?

Depends on how many there are !!"

Buddly, do ya mean the number of chips or y'ams? -sounds like a question on section 4.

Frank, chocolate chips dipped in rock?  zooorrrrrchhh.  uh, believe it or not I'd save the beer for the New England corn chips descirbed.   Yeah, don't go there.... 

RICK  *W3RSW*
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 01:18:54 PM »

Buddly, do ya mean the number of chips or y'ams?

Ya !
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 02:39:22 PM »

I'm all over the German Silver dial. Gots one on my SX-17.

For years, my main station receiver was a ca. 1935 vintage National HRO with the original style German Silver tuning dial.

They later changed to the familiar black painted dial because German Silver tended to tarnish and corrode, particularly if heavily contaminated with finger grease.  It will stay in good shape if regularly cleaned with a mild detergent and soft cloth.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 08:17:39 PM »

[It will stay in good shape if regularly cleaned with a mild detergent and soft cloth.

True of many things.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 11:40:26 PM »

I'm not sure that was german silver. I think that was actual silverplate, over what I dont know. I've never seen a early HRO with the silver dial, just the pictures.

German silver

name for various alloys of copper, zinc, and nickel, sometimes also containing lead and tin. They were originally named for their silver-white color, but use of the term silver is now prohibited for alloys not containing that metal. German silver varies in composition, the percentage of the three elements ranging approximately as follows: copper, from 50% to 61.6%; zinc, from 19% to 17.2%; nickel, from 30% to 21.1%. The proportions are always specified in commercial alloys. German silver is extensively used because of its hardness, toughness, and resistance to corrosion for articles such as tableware (commonly silver plated), marine fittings, and plumbing fixtures. Because of its high electrical resistance it is used also in heating coils. It was discovered (early 19th cent.) by a German industrial chemist, E. A. Geitner.

The hallicrafters dial is almost certainly german silver of some type. it takes a lot to corrode or stain them, and they dont tarnish, because there's no silver to tarnish.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015