The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:17:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voice of Victory - Black Wrinkle Heaven!  (Read 5754 times)
Ed-VA3ES

« on: March 22, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »

DVD Industries  has released a high quality transfer of the Voice of Victory on DVD Video.

"Recall the valiant history documenting how Amateur Radio and the Hallicrafters HT-4 teamed up with the U.S. Army Signal Corps to help win World War II.   Follow the evolution of the Hallicrafters HT-4 transmitter from its origins as a high-end, highly sought and world renowned Amateur Radio transmitter to mil-spec fortification for battlefield use as the venerable BC-610!"

http://www.dvdindustries.com/html/victory.html  for more info. Or, you can watch (and download the movie) at: http://www.archive.org/details/VoiceofV1944.

It's a great flick, lot's  of views of the BC-610 in manufacture, and in use.  Great ham radio scenes too.  Ahh...black wrinkle heaven!

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »

Wish someone would put the "Radio Hams" movie on a DVD.
My YouTube download is pretty low quality.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:30:59 AM »

That's due to the compression YouTube uses to convert to .flv  format.   Converting back to MPEG is very lossy.

How did you download it; did you use Vixy.net or some other  facility?

ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:50:44 AM »

Great piece on Americana, nice find..... Cheesy
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:12:22 AM »

That's due to the compression YouTube uses to convert to .flv  format.   Converting back to MPEG is very lossy.

Steve HUZ gave me the info, worked like a charm, but the resolution is low when played on a larger screen.

Priceless piece, like the Voice of Victory film.

Tnx for posting Ed!
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »

If you have the current version of Real Player installed, downloading videos from YouTube and other sites as well as burning them to CD or DVD is very simple.  No need to jump through hoops.

With Real Player installed you will see a floating toolbar pop up above the video when you do a mouse-over.

1) Just click on the "Download This Video" toolbar and the video will be downloaded to your Real Player library. You can click on several videos if you like and they will be downloaded simultaneously.
2) If you want to burn the video(s) to a Video CD or DVD, just click the Burn/Transfer option in Real Player, select the video(s) you like from your library, insert CD or DVD and click "Burn".   Thats it !

The free Real Player can be used to create Video CD's which most DVD players know how to play and is just fine for most anything you see on YouTube.  You need the Real Player premium version to be able to burn DVD's and "Super Video" CDs.

Sam  /  KS2AM

* RPDL.png (106.99 KB, 400x362 - viewed 449 times.)

--- Post No Bills ---
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 06:31:56 PM »

Unfortunately, I have an aversion to Real Player and it's softare.  It gets up my computer's backside and messes with it (registry).  I'd prefer not to use Real Player if possible.

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »

Unfortunately, I have an aversion to Real Player and it's softare.  It gets up my computer's backside and messes with it (registry).  I'd prefer not to use Real Player if possible.

Hmmm...  I've never had an issue with Real Player on the dozens of machines I've installed it on running XP, Vista, Windows 2000, etc over the last several years.  You just need to pay attention to the setup screens because they like to make it the default player for all media types, install the Google toolbar and other assorted nonsense.  Real Player gets along well with WMP, Quicktime, DivX, Rhapsody and whatever else I've installed it with.  Oh well, to each his own.  Good luck Ed.

--- Post No Bills ---
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 09:37:10 PM »

Nice tip. I don't think the issue was burning the video to CD or DVD, it was the resolution.

If you have the current version of Real Player installed, downloading videos from YouTube and other sites as well as burning them to CD or DVD is very simple.  No need to jump through hoops.

With Real Player installed you will see a floating toolbar pop up above the video when you do a mouse-over.

1) Just click on the "Download This Video" toolbar and the video will be downloaded to your Real Player library. You can click on several videos if you like and they will be downloaded simultaneously.
2) If you want to burn the video(s) to a Video CD or DVD, just click the Burn/Transfer option in Real Player, select the video(s) you like from your library, insert CD or DVD and click "Burn".   Thats it !

The free Real Player can be used to create Video CD's which most DVD players know how to play and is just fine for most anything you see on YouTube.  You need the Real Player premium version to be able to burn DVD's and "Super Video" CDs.

Sam  /  KS2AM

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »

Nice tip. I don't think the issue was burning the video to CD or DVD, it was the resolution.

Agreed.   I used an on-line facility (Vixy.net) which worked well.  The resolution issue is because of YouTube's  compresssion to fit both the tiny YouTube screens and the bandwidth on their site.    My copy of "Radio Hams" is watchable in full screen, but  "blocky" and lacks resolution.   

Oh well...what can you do? 

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 10:38:31 PM »

The Voice of Victory, on the other hand, can be downloaded in rather high resolution - either MPEG 2 or 4. Several hundred Meg each and in two part.

That site also has lots of other neat historic films. Like the two below.

Many more if you take a look around!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015