The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:57:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman to record industry: Stop spying  (Read 3858 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »

A woman who claims the recording industry's anti-music piracy campaign threatens and intimidates innocent people has filed a new complaint accusing record companies of racketeering, fraud and illegal spying.

The suit accuses the industry of spying "by unlicensed, unregistered and uncertified private investigators" who "have illegally entered the hard drives of tens of thousands of private American citizens" in violation of laws "in virtually every state in the country." The information is then used to file "sham" lawsuits intended only as intimidation to further the anti-piracy campaign.

The complaint notes the case began when Andersen, a single mother, was sitting down for dinner with her then 8-year-old daughter at their home in August 2005 and a legal process server knocked on her door with notice of an RIAA lawsuit falsely alleging copyright infringement and demanding penalties.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1700ap_music_lawsuit.html

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »

sounds like the people that filed the lawsuit have just admitted to hacking into someone's computer, a felony. Maybe several felonies.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:48:56 AM »

"Render unto Caesar"... Some of these folk got a real hangup about this stuff...Don't upload what doesn't belong to you...Do these people realize what children do at School, their doing it on the cell phones now... Transmit Everything..it's all Shareware.. Grin

My Personal Opinion...I thing we're over caffeinated...The Next Interactive Human Environmental Challenge... Cool
K3ZS

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:29:52 AM »

Act dumb and tell them you have an unsecured wireless router.    They can't prove who really has done the downloading.    This was told to me by someone who has received some the of threats of a lawsuit and they backed off.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 12:58:37 AM »

speaking of routers, I would like to throttle someone's bandwidth who is using one of those peer to peer programs. bitstream or torrent stream or something like that. The router I have does not permit that kind of restriction.. But they need to go from 600Kb/S down to 100Kb on the upstream side and from 7Mb to 1Mb downstream, because I am paying for the connection.. Thing is, despite having websites yada yada I have no idea how to do that. I closed all the ports but one, yet it still makes full use of that one!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W4EWH

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »

speaking of routers, I would like to throttle someone's bandwidth who is using one of those peer to peer programs.

Change that customer's route to point to a web proxy, and do the throttling there.

Bill

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015