The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:19:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: good source of silver plated rf STRAP  (Read 8832 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:19:42 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good source of silver or silver plated RF flat ribbon in 1/8" and 1/4"? I need some for the flashbox. Hambone cut all of the originals into tiny 2 and 3 inch long sections to hook his extra switches up with.

I've been having a lot of health issues past month all seizure related. I started back on a drug I used to be on called Keppra today, hopefully it will keep them under better control and I'll be able to work longer each day. Damn drug costs 241 bucks for a 30 day supply.  Cry

edit: looks like surplus sales of nebraska has some, but they call it "german silver" which is not actual silver or silver plated at all. So I dunno.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:34:43 PM »

Derb,
Go to home depot and get some copper flashing and cut it into strips. Then get some silver/tin solder in the plumbing isle. and a small can of acid flux. Just tin them and you will be fine.  Wash them real well when you are bone to get the acid flux off. They sell small rolls of the solder for a couple bucks. The last pound roll I bought was around $10.
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:53:14 PM »

What is the reason to tin the copper strips?   Steve
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »

It may improve your sex life
no real reason to plate it except keeping it from turning green.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:17:02 PM »

copper looks real ugli after a while, but so does silver. tarnish is still conducive, and copper crud is not.

frank, as described in another post I figured out what was wrong with Jenny Gonset the Amplifier - I wired one pole of he bandswitch in backwards.

oops tee hee

gonna try it in the morning and I bet i will make power. Gonna try to boil some DL oil.  Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 02:34:04 AM »

Antique Electronic Supply sells a small electroplating kit.  You can purchase nickel,  chrome and silver plating as well as others.  You mix the plating compound  with water, dip the copper or brass object into the solution, and use a metal brush connected to a DC power source to brush on the plating.

Naturally, the silver plating is much more expensive than the others.

ELECTROPLATING COMPOUND, SILVER

Uses current from any 3 to 6 volt D.C. supply or batteries. Plating brush connects to positive voltage and part being plated connects to negative. Brush (S-F225)sold separately. Uses current from any 3 to 6 volt D.C. supply or batteries. Plating brush connects to positive voltage and part being plated connects to negative. Brush (S-F225)sold separately.

$26.95
Qty
S-F225
2007 Catalog
page 105

ELECTROPLATING BRUSH

Electroplating brush used for replating nickel, silver or brass radio and phonograph parts. Uses current from any 3 to 6 volt DC supply supply or batteries. Plating brush connects to positive voltage and part being plated connects to negative. Instructions included. Electroplating compound sold separately. Uses current from any 3 to 6 volt D.C. supply or batteries. Plating brush connects to positive voltage and part being plated connects to negative. Brush (S-F225)sold separately.

Click here to download a PDF version of the instructions
   $6.50

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 03:13:04 PM »

If you simply mask the copper and spray with clear lacquer, it will stay shiny for a long long time... you mask the contact points...

They sell a rub on!! silver stuff, that apparently stays on copper and works ok. They sell it for electrical applications, iirc - a commercial product.

There is also "dip" plating - or electroless plating solutions.
I think the AES stuff may be that. That's good enough if you want a dull silver flash over the surface. Don't try to polish it.

Brush electroplating is easy enough to do - you don't need a kit, just the silly solution!! Doubtless you can rig a power supply. Check the web, there are probably a bunch of sites with DIY instructions!

German silver is jewelry alloy... probably high nickel content, iirc.

If you find an old sterling silver spoon, you can do real electroplating using a plastic bucket and some wire, acid and power supply too... DIY instructions online.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Joe Long
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »

Take it to your local jewler. They periodically send out old items for replating and its somewhat resonable in cost.
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 06:33:32 AM »

CoolAmp makes a rub on powder - I've used it for 30 years now. Looks expensive but a little goes a long way - a jar will last almost forever. Apparently it's popular with the electric power industry to silver plate electric conductors in the field.

http://www.cool-amp.com/

For cleaning silver tarnish I use Tarn-X which comes in a black plastic bottle and is available in well stocked hardware stores and even some chain pharmacies. Works great on silver connectors and conductors...but smells like rotten eggs. The smell dissipates quickly, though.

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »

Ya dats da stuff!

Cool-amp!!

Cool Jerk, da da da, Cool Jerk da da da... cooljerkit cooljerkit...

Tarnex is a chemical that apparently is popular in the yarn industry/hobby, and I am told is much cheaper bought with that label on it... maybe wikipedia knows the chemical composition... I forgot it... Oxalic acid? Maybe.

_-_-wombat bear two gorilla chimpanzee rhinos

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:18:08 PM »

Tarnex

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/eleventh/profiles/s175thor.pdf

Now, give me alittle drums by himself,there
Now give me alittle bit a bass with those KT88's

What? Me worry?
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 12:18:30 AM »

Hey Derb!

What the he** you need to silver plate the copper strap for???

Oh yeah, it LOOKS crappy after a while with all that corrosion...

Okay, you are rebuilding a Match Box...  Yeah, it is the big one.

That thing is inclosed in a big, two pieced BOX and ain't no windows to watch the non glowing RF objects in there, so give me one or two good reasons to waist the time, energy and cash making it look all pretty... 

Use what you have there in the noggin and forget the silver idea.  Yeah, silver looks good but iffen ya caint see it, why bother?  Just getter done !

Good luck.

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »

I cant roll the 83 Cadillac Coupe De Ville like that Ralph!  I gotz to have sum bling bling on my thing thing, you know what I'm saying?

I aint saying nothing on here. I'm just gonna pop up in da ghetto real soon now. Proof is in getting back.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 03:08:55 PM »

Thanks WA2ONK who sent me 2 hanks of big strap for the matchbox. back to work. check the ghetto tonite late nite.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015