The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:58:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reply feature in FS/T Section  (Read 7219 times)
K6IC
Contributing

« on: March 13, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »

Just an observation from a loosely affilliated member ..

Sure DO miss the ability to reply,  and read replies of others to the For Sale/Trade section.

Feel that I have learned a lot about many interesting items by being able to see some discussion of what are the specific functions/features of a certain item listed and so on. 

Think that the prohibition of replying to FS/T items might have been initiated by the carping about the prices that folks are expecting from these items ... or ??  Perhaps the prospect of a bidding option might also have prompted this . (?)

Another observation is that it was sometimes useful to post that a PM or e-mail had been sent to the lister.  At times,  the listing person may be too busy to dig one's email reply from the Spam bin,  and an additional route has proved useful.

Just my personal thoughts,  this board has been a great resourse to many of us,  do not want to carp on the functions of this board.  Just a lament.  73  TU  Vic
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:49:33 PM »

Thanks for your question Vic.

Yes we have several sections that require nothing more than the original post. Announcement is one and the for sale section is another.

The Classifieds are for people posting items they have to sell. Those that are interested in the item can email or PM them. Just like EBAY, the classifieds in your paper or any other classified area.

We had several posts in the classifieds that had 6 page threads and like most threads here on the site the original topic got lost in the BS with absolutely no respect or concern for the person who posted. After about two years of complaining I decided to return the classifieds back to what they are - - Classifieds.

The resulting change has inhibited open discussion of pricing/features/merit/logistics, and created a cumbersome necessity to initiate a new post in the QSO section when someone really wants to discuss

The resulting change has returned the Classifieds to it's truest form. Most respectful people do not feel compelled to take someone else's post and take liberty to discuss it in another forum. If the poster wanted a discussion in QSO it would be there. It would be less cumbersome to just email the person and ask your questions.

Thank you

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:59:16 PM »

As stated, its a For Sale/Trade Section. If you need to discuss a feature/function of a certain item, PM the poster. However, I will admit that if you're posting a item for sale, it's condition, it's major attributes, why it's the best in the world, etc. might make the difference in making a quick sale. I believe you also have the option to get a pop-up notice when you log into the board, that you have received a message(s) so getting a message, query, additional info from the poster is not that difficult.

I see no reason why a PM is that difficult nor do I see any reason why a discussion post can't be initiated to discuss, in general, items that might have appeared in the For Sale/Trade section at one time or currently appear there.

Personally, I find it annoying, if a post a For Sale, that a discussion then commences in my thread.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:47:26 PM »

I see nothing wrong with carrying the discussion to another forum if the content is likely to be something of interest or use to all members.  This should not include whining about prices, etc, but I think it would be appropriate to publicly point out something like an error in the specifications or description of an item to potential unwary buyer or seller.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »

It's pretty simple:

• The For Sale Section is for selling.
  • The QSO section is for discussion.
  • The Technical Section is for technical stuff.

Move on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015