The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:31:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eico 322 Only generating signal on one band.  (Read 4399 times)
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« on: March 12, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »

Got my hands on an Eico 322. Went through the unit and recapped it, and replaced the old Amphenol connectors with BNC. Powered it up to align one of the BA RX's and find I am only generating a signal on band 'B' 440khz to 1200khz. That one was off a little so I calibrated it using my FT-840 and it's FB. This was AFTER I discovered no output on the other bandspreads. So I've checked all my cap work, no issues. I have cleaned the band switch with DeOxit and a soft toothbrush as it was pretty crudded up. The Audio output works FB as well. I guess tonight I will check the 6SN7 and see what it's doing.

As I have been able to find NO info on the web in regards to troubleshooting these units, I once again turn to you here at the forum. What else should I be looking at?

All connections at the bandswitch look good, and both tubes are lighting up. I don't see any issues with the new caps. All the resistors look good, although I haven't started testing them yet (never look forward to that).

Thank you in advance for your indulgence es 73.

Jeff
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 05:59:54 PM »

Not much to this thing (1 tube + rectifier) so you won't find much or any troubleshooting info. The assembly manual does give wiring details and pictorials  Under the heading "In Case of Trouble", they say: check the wiring, check tubes, check all parts and resistors, trace out all the wiring. Still problems, call the factory.  Grin

Check the tube. Check to be sure the cold side of all the coils go to ground. Check R1 and C1.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 01:21:25 AM »

Any chance you have the tx for the factory?  Wink
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:42:03 AM »

Nice little box Jeff,

Had the opposite problem with the 723 - transmitted on several bands - at once - Hi

I think I had one of those at one time.

Figuring you have attacked the switch and that is working and the coils are OK ...

The fact that it oscillates on one band could still point at a bypass cap or a weak tube. Check the B+ and resistor that feeds the B+ that it (they) have not gone up in value to starve the oscillator tube plate.

Does it look like the 324 shown below?

Mike WU2D

* EICO324.jpg (736.53 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 295 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:22:06 AM »

It's the half moon dial with external pointer. No external audio inputs either. I got some intermittent signal out of a couple of them last night, cleaned the alignment caps...they were pretty nasty. I'll check the tube tonight, if my tester still works after a 10 foot fall to the concrete floor! I've also spied a few solder joints that could use a touch up.

Worse part is, I've had other things come up the past two nights, so I get about 15 minutes bench time before I'm back out the door. And I think the TV crapping out last night just made the priority list...Although she ran like a champ for 12 years, It may be time to let her go. There's something about a 40"CRT though that makes me want to get her back online.

Thanks for the input guys...
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:30:47 AM »

Always loved the stainless steel look of Eico.

Mike

These are the good old days of AM
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:48:44 AM »

Always loved the stainless steel look of Eico.
Mike

Here's a picture of one exterior version of an Eico 320/322. 320 and 322 were pretty much the same thing. It was also done with a blue face and a black face. They pop up on ebay all the time.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015