The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:28:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Ass filament Transformers  (Read 7468 times)
WA1HZK

« on: March 02, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »

OK
The discussion the other night was "where will I find a 10.0 Volt, 20 Amp transformer for the filament of the 4X1 Rig Grant is building figuring on modulating it with 833's. I looked over on the shelf and spotted some iron I had removed from a 1500 watt UPS and a larger 2200 watt unit. The small one has a 14.0 Volt winding with # 10 or 8 square stock. I took my prick punch and found the 1/2 voltage point on the same side as the high current comes out. Inside winding on the bottom of the coil form. Scrape the varnish off the wire and solder the CT in place. Uses a small variac on the primary and instantly came up with the 20 amps at 10 volts. I tested it for several hours and it worked pissa. Don't throw out those units! Strip those suckers. The primary 120 volt winding is wound first. The secondary is easily available. If I had removed a few turns that would have worked also. I'll have this in the mail to Grant tomorrow. Everyone is throwing away those old UPS's. Grab Them!
Keith
WA1HZK

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 02:46:11 PM »

Hi Keith,

There is a filament transformer up on e-Bay right now that may just fit the bill. It is e-Bay item no. 150220936850, and was removed from a Gates BC-1G transmitter.

Check it out. 10 V at 20 A and two separate 10VCT at 10 A windings for the 833As.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »

Gates used individual center tapped windings for each mod tube and had front panel controls to set the bias on each mod tube. good setup
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:24:44 AM »

Yea but,....................4-1000A filament is 7.5v @21A ?? Huh Huh

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 11:56:25 AM »

Yea but,....................4-1000A filament is 7.5v @21A ?? Huh Huh

Whoa!!

As usual, Frank is right. And if anyone knows the specs on the 4-1000, it is Frank!

Well, you can still use this transformer for the 833A modulators!

Thanks, Frank.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
WA1HZK

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »

The Iron was for the 833's. Find the CT, Split it, Parallel the windings & have 7.5 at 60 amps.
Still a good piece of Iron. I'll collect those old UPS's whenever they can be found. Did I mention that there is another 14 volt winding that will work as a buck/boost on those things!

PS
I gave the empty cases away for building E-Rigs!
Keith

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
N0BHU

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »

microwace oven transformers can be striped and rewound to make nice fillament transformers, and if you leavve the plugs in they will act like current inrush limiters.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 08:49:32 PM »

I have a couple of 7.5VCT? transformers that were used with 4CX5000's or 4CX10000's, but the primaries are 440VAC !! It is a pity I have no socket. There is one '5000 tube around here somewhere. -But I don't want to build anything that big, and plenty of projects already going on here.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K1DEU
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 12:02:43 AM »

If a jug requires 7.5 VAC I look for a 8-10 VAC filament transformer on purpose. Instead of step starting the filament transformer, I prefer to use a permanent dropping resistor for a gentle turn on. Or for 5 VAC I use a 6.3 VAC Transformer and resistor in series with the primary. 73  John
N0BHU

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 05:33:39 PM »

If a jug requires 7.5 VAC I look for a 8-10 VAC filament transformer on purpose. Instead of step starting the filament transformer, I prefer to use a permanent dropping resistor for a gentle turn on. Or for 5 VAC I use a 6.3 VAC Transformer and resistor in series with the primary. 73  John

Thats a really good idea, I'l try it on my next project.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 01:32:08 PM »

You don't want to use a filament transformer rated for a lot more current than the tubes pull, unless you have some kind of inrush current protection.

My preferred method is to use a transformer with excessive output voltage, and then put a wirewound rheostat or tapped wirewound resistor in series with the transformer primary to bring down the filament voltage to normal.  That gives you a filament voltage control to compensate for line voltage variations, and the  series resistance cushions the inrush current to the tube, thus prolonging filament life.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Barrie
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 02:02:21 PM »

KL7OF mentioned having two filament transformers so that the bias can be adjusted for each modulator tube.

How is that adjustment accomplished?

73, Barrie, W7ALW
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 02:04:14 PM »

I prefer to use a permanent dropping resistor for a gentle turn on.

the gonset amp uses the tune-operate 4K 100W resistor for the same purpose. big warnings in the manual to have the switch in tune position before turning the unit on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015