The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:35:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter DAHL Iron Lives On!  (Read 11010 times)
WA1HZK

« on: February 29, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »

HARBACH PURCHASES RIGHTS TO PETER W DAHL TRANSFORMERS

The name Peter W. Dahl and the transformers and chokes he designed will live on. This with word that Jeff Weinberg, W8CQ of Harbach Electronics, has purchased the rights to the name, along with the original transformer and choke specifications and designs, and the design equipment. Weinberg e-mailed at least one ham to confirm that the deal had been made. In his note he indicated that the next generation of Dahl designed transformers will be built by MagCap Engineering using the original specifications, and sold through Harbach Electronics under the Peter Dahl name. The transformer and chokes will be shipped FOB Canton, Massachusetts and shipped directly to the customer from the MagCap Engineering factory. (QRZ.com)

Now That's good news. When all else fails that was the only guy we could go to for replacement iron & rebuilds. If anyone else hear's any details, let me know. It will ship from Canton MA!! Lot's of AM express guys around there!
Life is Good!
Keith
WA1HZK
Not far from Canton

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 04:20:16 PM »

the question is: are todays hams too cheap to pay for new iron?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:58:58 PM »

First, God bless Peter Dahl for his decades of honest engineering and meritorious service to the industry and amateur alike.
Second, best of luck to the company that will work to carry on this business and his fine work. It is a great duty and responsibility. There will always be a need for transformers; new, used, custom, and repaired.

Hams of any day are notoriously cheap. Those of us in the United States are among the wealthiest, and yet we are quite stingy! This fact is so well known in the art that it needs no proof!

But, when one needs that 32V1 transformer re-wound, or the BTA-1's modulation transformer smokes a year after you converted it to amateur use, will one do a hack job on the set to use something on-hand (if present), or cough up the $? It's not a matter of cheapness then, it's a matter of necessity, or the rig becomes a display piece. I already have one 1200LB paperweight.
Like having a bad tooth, you can have it pulled for $50, or have it capped very nicely for a $300 co-pay. One way it's useless, the other way you can still use it!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:32:40 AM »

This is kind of old news: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=13790.0
However it is good. I think Paul VJB mentioned that Jeff is a member of this board so he would have a reason for producing those parts that keep our classic radios on the air. I guess MAGCAP is going to do the leg work and Jeff is going to be the contact. At least its still here in the USA.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 08:34:16 AM »

Here is an example from MagCap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270215817776&ih=017&category=1502

As long as these guys have a healthy commercial market (i.e. enough volume to cover the real costs of being in a business like this), and as long as they are willing to serve the one-of-a-kind / small volume amateur market without adding the true additional cost of serving us*... then we will be in good shape.

[*The risk/insurance impact of selling high voltage products to individuals who call themselves "amateurs"; the true cost of talking/negotiating with risk-averse individuals on the phone (estimate: $100/hr), who have never purchased anything from you before, to take an order for 1 custom item; the true cost of setting up the equipment, getting out the specifications, making the associated tests, etc., to make one copy of an item; the true cost of dealing with single items, sent to individuals' homes, that get lost in shipping, etc.]

Best regards
Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »

Hams of any day are notoriously cheap. Those of us in the United States are among the wealthiest, and yet we are quite stingy! This fact is so well known in the art that it needs no proof!

I wonder if this has changed to some extent.  Most of the factory-built AM transmitters have gained in price the past 15 years matching the increased popularity of our activity.

Homebrewers also seem willing to shell out for big iron because they know it's not that common anymore.

Receivers, same thing, prices are up because of rising demand among AMers and those who just want a nice old radio.

And if you're into the broadcast transmitter thing, most of the fellows I hang with on the category know the higher expense of the components originally, and aren't deterred by replacement costs today. 

From my own experience, I think the rescue of the WFOY transmitter a few years ago probably ran more than $2500, split among myself, Jim and Tom, and we all had a sort of "so what?" attitude to the project regarding cost. It needed to be done.

Same for blown iron. If it needs to be done, you pays your money. The new owner of the Dahl enterprise must have determined this as part of a viable business prospect.
WA1HZK

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »

When my Johnson 500 blew it's mod iron Peter Dahl was the only guy that could help me. When it's a nice rig, you pay the dollars. I know I'll need those guys someday again.
Keith
WA1HZK

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 01:16:45 PM »

I wonder if a new venture done correctly, unlike the "globe" fiasco of some years back putting a 350+ watt carrier rig out there would be successful now.

to hell with the plate mod iron. I'd cathode mod that bad boy. Cut yer iron cost in half or less. substitute a slide in mod deck for a linear deck so you can make a linear amp or a AM rig with minimal change as ordered.

AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 01:32:19 PM »

Derb:

Question: Do you know how you can make a small fortune selling products like that to ham radio operators?

Stu

[Answer: Start out with a large fortune]

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 01:37:29 PM »

Well, I have no fortune now, so it's a winnah!  Roll Eyes

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 11:20:29 AM »

wondering what that says about magcap. if any ham radio business venture is doomed, isnt ham radio doomed?
WA1HZK

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 02:47:39 PM »

The best way to try it is on line. I do OK with several web sites devoted to communications products. When it comes to hams I end up doing the engineering, making the proper parts list, and watching them take my work to a competitor that will sell at a 5% profit and buy there. Your right, If I figured on selling to hams I would be passing the cup at Deerfield!
Smiley
Keith
WA1HZK

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalbattery.com

www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
scottdarling1221
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »

Pete was a great guy its a shame no one could take over his plant.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »

Definitely great news for all.
I am also on an audio board called AudioKarma and there are fairly knowledgeable folks there that know electronics and have needed replacement iron and went to Dahl. I was surprised that the audiophoolery is not that prevalent as I was fearing on AudioKarma.
fred

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 04:05:59 AM »

There are probably more modulation transformers, mod reactors and plate transformers floating around now, than in decades, from the 1 kw size tube type broadcast transmitters that have been taken out of service and replaced with solid state.

It's a matter of doing a little detective work, finding out about them and rescuing them before they go to the scrap metal dealer.  I have had 2 1/2 transmitters given to me free for the hauling, just from this local area. (The half represents the transmitter given to me and another ham; we parted it out and split the proceeds.)

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 07:24:24 AM »

I received my T-2 transformer for my Globe Chump last Friday. I have yet to install it but it looks well built and some upgrades from the original were clearly visible. They took the time to install silicon HV leads from the case for the HV rectifiers which were absent from the original. Jeff, W8CQ, was in constant contact with me to make sure they were going to wind it properly, (this transformer has 20 leads(yikes!) coming out!) So far I don't have any complaints about Jeff or his business. When I install the transformer, and it works to expectations, I heap more praises on for him. Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 10:06:38 AM »

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=17802.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015