The AM Forum
June 30, 2024, 01:20:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prices These Days!  (Read 16081 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: February 28, 2008, 02:50:13 PM »

Yes, the never-ending piss and moan topic of prices, pricing, value, etc etc etc. When using the good ol' inflation calculator to adjust then vs now, things become clearer.

Just came across this article about computer and cell phone technology in 1988 vs today:

http://tech.msn.com/products/articlepcw.aspx?cp-documentid=6328095&icid=tg6328095&GT1=10938

Astounding, really. Today's Seagate 1TB hard drive sells for $363, but adjusted for 1988 cost per MB would set you back..... $5.8 MILLION in today's dollars!! Makes those Johnson 500s, KW-1s and so on look cheap.

I got my first PC in the 80s, a used C-64 for packet service. Paid $400 for it with a floppy drive, color TV monitor, Okidata dot matrix printer, PK-64 TNC and a bunch of those 5 1/4" floppys with Max Headroom and other entertaining programs. Was given a little IBM PS2 Mod 30 in the mid 90s, then built my first Frankenputer shortly thereafter. Still have 'em all, too.

A very interesting read. We've come a b-r-r-r-r-r-r looooong way!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »

this is the math applied to inflation numbers so you can deal with gas going for $4 and still feel good.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:40:33 PM »

I wish my salary was adjusted to the same scale!! Shocked Shocked

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WB3JOK

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 03:49:12 PM »

I got my first PC in the 80s, a used C-64 for packet service. Paid $400 for it with a floppy drive, color TV monitor, Okidata dot matrix printer, PK-64 TNC and a bunch of those 5 1/4" floppys with Max Headroom and other entertaining programs.

Now I feel even worse:  Tongue
In 1983 I bought a brand-new Apple IIe, 80 col. mono monitor, whopping 64K RAM, two floppy drives and an Oki dot-matrix printer. It cost me $2000 (in 1983 dollars)! I still have it, too, since even on the 'bay they go for no more than $25 or so.

-Charles
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:04:06 PM »

Gee there was a day when a new Vet cost under $4000.....I think it was when I was working after school for $1.50 an hour.
N1ESE
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »

If prices these days are so much better compared to the "old days", how come I invest much more thought these days before just hopping in the car and driving somewhere just for the hell of it?  15 years ago, I would just jump in the car and drive to every fester within a 3 to 4 hour drive without even thinking about it.  Now, with gas prices the way they are, I have to think long and hard before even venturing out to the local HRO which is only 40 minutes away.

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 10:30:52 PM »

When is gas going back to .39 a gallon?
K1MVP
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »

I wish my salary was adjusted to the same scale!! Shocked Shocked

Yep,--I agree, and filling my home heating fuel oil tank  runs about $800 bucks,--
so I guess am getting a "big bargain" by these inflation statistics.
                                         73, K1MVP

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 10:39:39 PM »

When is gas going back to .39 a gallon?

Probably around the time that you would be willing to go back to working for $2.00 / hour!!

I was thinking about this last night. as much as we want to bitch about todays high prices, little has changed since I was a kid. If anything it has improved somewhat, as we seem to have a little more money left for our toys than we did years ago.

Think about it this way, it might make you scratch your head a little. When I was a kid working for $2.00 / hour, somewhere around $3.00 - $4.00 would fill my gas tank.  Now, I make well more than 10x that, and it costs $30-40.00 to fill my gas tank! Go figger, back then it took about 1 1/2 hours wages to fill my gas tank, the same still holds true today! Nothing has really changed. The standard of living as far as what you could purchase for 1 hours wages has not really changed much. If anything, in the larger picture of things it has probably gotten a little better as we now seem to have a little more money left over for our toys!!

The Slab Bacon 

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »

There was a day when you could buy a house for under $4000. 

Gee there was a day when a new Vet cost under $4000.....I think it was when I was working after school for $1.50 an hour.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

Exactly!

There was a day when you could buy a house for under $4000. 

So who wants to be the first to step back to those low wages again?
ka3zlr
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »

Interesting,

JFK prior to his assassination had on the agenda to issue American made money...Johnson immediately rescinded the application on the flight home...no President since has Even mentioned the problem with the Federal Reserve...subsequent worth and Economic prosperity is controlled by that Private institution...
ka3zlr
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »

LOL.....Right...
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 07:48:17 PM »

Not really. It's part public (gov) and part private.

The Federal Reserve a private institution!? Sorry but it's another branch of the U.S. Government, just like the the IRS, FCC, etc.

ka3zlr
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 08:10:28 PM »

JFK prior to his assassination had on the agenda to issue American made money...Johnson immediately rescinded the application on the flight home

DO WHAT!? All U.S currency is made in the U.S.!!! I think you're confused here, changing the currency is done to stop/slow counterfeiting. There have also been several plans put forth on a forced short term wholesale currency exchange program, this one is the stop the cash only businesses of America that pay no income taxes and identify all involved (make it hard on a big time dope dealer to wag millions into a bank for exchange).

no President since has Even mentioned the problem with the Federal Reserve...subsequent worth and Economic prosperity is controlled by that Private institution...

The Federal Reserve a private institution!? Sorry but it's another branch of the U.S. Government, just like the the IRS, FCC, etc.

Hi Mack,

You have to understand where my thoughts come from regarding this, your looking at printed paper like all Americans do, as American Money, i look at the debt created, you me us them We are lent legal tender for all debts, we use this paper at interest from the reserve..we in part are in a Created Debt Society.

You really need to read up on the Rothchilds timeline and as a matter of fact there is a documented effort on you tube right now for everyone to watch...you should watch it it's amazingly accurate...
ka3zlr
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 09:50:31 PM »

Hi Mack,

Quite a statement I'm no banker I'm a small investor and i work very hard at understanding currencies across the globe. I also work very hard at understanding those that control the flow of currency it's very important, part of that understanding is based on hard research I've done through the years on Central Banks. The federal reserve bank is about as federal as Fed-Ex..I would cite the years from 1900 on through to day as beginning proof starting with the economic collapse created in 1907 spurred that premise we consider federal today and that happened prior to the great depression.(JP Morgan) created it. Read up on Louis McFadden timeline, and his Demise...then onto the statement made by the spirit of St Louis pilot...it's amazing what became from that initial impact, and Woodrow Wilson stated in his memoir's after the fact that how ashamed he was at what was handed to the international bankers...

All very well documented in print and No conspiracy, prior to 1933 the american dollar did read redeemable in gold, now states legal tender, printed by The federal reserve Bank. Central banks are in business to do one thing create wealth through debt . It's not my fault the American people don't understand Central banks.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 09:59:45 PM »

Welcome to the third world
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »

Then there's the Trilateral Commission, the Illuminati, the Council on Foreign Affairs and the rest of the shadow government. You guys keep exposing this stuff here and the black helicopters will be showing up at your houses.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 10:19:36 PM »

easy to say and do Mack and I agree with you but what about the bandits of the beltway.
ka3zlr
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »

All very well documented in print and No conspiracy, prior to 1933 the american dollar did read redeemable in gold, now states legal tender, printed by The federal reserve Bank. Central banks are in business to do one thing create wealth through debt . It's not my fault the American people don't understand Central banks.

You seem to equate the banking system as the root problem in American debt, I equate it with a total lack of personal responsibility on the part of the American people. I've never believed in carrying a high debt burden myself, those who do have no one to blame but themselves.

Then there's the Trilateral Commission, the Illuminati, the Council on Foreign Affairs and the rest of the shadow government. You guys keep exposing this stuff here and the black helicopters will be showing up at your houses.

Exactly the feeling that I'm starting to get here.

Well don't Mack,,

In 1919 Woodrow Wilson said the following, " I am a Most unhappy man i have unwittingly ruined my country, A Great industrial nation is now controlled by it's system of credit." What is happening today is what happened in 1907 ... quoted from Charles Lindbergh " Under the Federal Reserve Act, Panics are scientifically created. The present Panic is the first scientifically created one, worked out as we figure a mathematical equation"...amazing how it's all forgotten.. but the same actions continue...LOL.... Cheesy
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 10:34:49 PM »

Since when did Charles Lindberg become a financial wizard?
ka3zlr
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 10:38:55 PM »

Since when did Charles Lindberg become a financial wizard?

Huz he was a member of what..? Congress in 1921...wasn't it...

People have to understand the power to regulate the money supply is also the power to regulate it's value, which is also the power to bring entire economies to it's knees and today we're pretty close to that..all brought about by whom...the creators of the money supply...LOL...
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 10:48:29 PM »

If he was a member of Congress, it's likely he was financially illiterate.
ka3zlr
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 05:58:22 AM »

Well monopolies is another issue for another day...as well as politics.. I was discussing currency and it's History..and History has repeated itself..the complaint i read prior to my first post in this was about the value of the dollar..my complaint as well.. if you really want to know why follow the time line from the beginning and those that carefully created it..from what was decided on. on jekyell island at the Morgan estate in 1910 jumped on by international bankers from the collapse that Morgan created in 1907.. and was investigated...to what was entered into law..by senator Nelson Aldrich who was the political front man for the rockefellers being part of the family through marriage, and in 1913 Wilson signed the bill into law in return for support...it's all documented...there is no conspiracy...money is printed and issued at interest...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 08:15:15 AM »

the euro goes up and the buck goes down. Doesn't take a rocket designer to see who are the idiots...us
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015