The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:19:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morning Surprise  (Read 8851 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« on: February 26, 2008, 07:45:42 AM »

8" of snow overnight and still snowing !
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:41:36 AM »

Must be heading my way!!!!!!!!
This is so much fun. We're having Winter now

fred

Fred KC4MOP
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:47:22 AM »

Yeah, great fun. We've easily had 6-7 feet so far this winter.

I'd ask you to keep it out there Bud, but it's too late. Snow started falling before I left for work. They're saying 12-16 inches by tomorrow night, so 2 feet is more likely. Wrap around behind the low will dump more snow while kicking up the winds and dropping the temps to single digits and below zero.

Can't wait for Timonium.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
AF9J
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »

Ahh, you got the rest of our snow Buddly.  We only got 2" last night because it tracked further south than anticipated.  That's fine by me.  We've already gotten over 7 feet of snow this winter as it is.

Ellen - AF9J
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »

yeah, as Timtron calls it, a hamfest named after a rare earth element that I invented.  Cheesy
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:24:16 AM »

There are times when I miss the ol' qth on the Pa. /NYS upstate border.  This is not one of them.  We've dodged most of the heavy snows this winter but looks like this one will get us, 4 to 5 expected. No problem for everybody but me on this hill with 300yds. of road looking up.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:53:33 AM »

Rick said:
There are times when I miss the ol' qth on the Pa. /NYS upstate border.  This is not one of them.  We've dodged most of the heavy snows this winter but looks like this one will get us, 4 to 5 expected. No problem for everybody but me on this hill with 300yds. of road looking up.

Most of the winters have been pretty mild and devoid of snow with 1996 and 1999 being the exceptions. I remember working you on your HB 813 X 811's ,(at least I think it was you but then again, that was many moons ago) Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1IA

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 05:20:04 PM »

8" of snow overnight and still snowing !
I fixed the snow-blower to appease the snow Gods Buddly!
But its snowing right now? Suppose to turn to rain in Southern NH.

Tina

Run What Ya Brung!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »

Glad I rebuilt my 1975 Sears. It started on the first pull and family clapped last week. This one was liquid for us which requires no interaction. 
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:00:11 PM »

Down here, when we get a significant snowfall, it rarely lasts more than 2-3 days before it is gone.  Usually the roads are clear later that day, or if it is severe, after the second day.  We have hardly had any significant snowfalls the past few years, and it hasn't got down to zero in at least a decade.  We used to average 3-4 good ones and  a period or two of sub-zero temps every winter.

Many people would get all uptight and panic over a snowstorm...  Ohmygod, I can't get to work!  What am I gonna do? This is terrible, piss 'n moan, piss 'n moan, etc. I looked forward to them and always just relaxed, enjoyed my snow day with a hot beverage or two, slept in late and then worked on something here at the house or played radio, and waited for the roads to clear.

The rat-race never once failed to still be there after the snow had melted.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 01:06:24 PM »

Y'all should be here in B-more if they're even calling for a dusting of snow. The grocery stores go berzerk with everyone trying to "stock up for the big storm"!!

I used to do a lot of repair work for many of the local grocery chains. We used to call this phenomenon the "BMT 500" race. for all of the old geezers. For those who havent heard of it, that is the "bread, milk, and toilet paper 500 mile an hour race!!"
I guess that running out of TP during a snow storm could be considered a fate worse than death> Shocked Shocked

And the total shame of it all is even with the worst snowfalls we have here in recent times, no one has been "snowed in" for more than a day or so!! I just find the whole thing amusing Roll Eyes  Grin Grin
                                                           The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »

Y'all should be here in B-more if they're even calling for a dusting of snow. The grocery stores go berzerk with everyone trying to "stock up for the big storm"!!

I used to do a lot of repair work for many of the local grocery chains. We used to call this phenomenon the "BMT 500" race. for all of the old geezers. For those who havent heard of it, that is the "bread, milk, and toilet paper 500 mile an hour race!!"
I guess that running out of TP during a snow storm could be considered a fate worse than death> Shocked Shocked

And the total shame of it all is even with the worst snowfalls we have here in recent times, no one has been "snowed in" for more than a day or so!! I just find the whole thing amusing Roll Eyes  Grin Grin
                                                           The Slab Bacon

Seize the opportunity to sell pine cones for a dollar a dozen.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »

I guess that running out of TP during a snow storm could be considered a fate worse than death

Should be no problem if you have some newspapers, a Sears & Roebuck catalogue or some corncobs lying about.   Grin

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 07:53:47 PM »

Yep. Topped 70 degrees today!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 09:22:47 PM »

60 deg. here in Balmy Sorrycuse .................  klc

What? Me worry?
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 05:01:53 AM »

I had snow in the face just after 11:00 PM Monday night, while loading a trailer at work.  There was a nice dusting of white on my car that had to be cleared to drive home. Grin

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015