The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:55:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: $900 for a Ranger II?  (Read 4424 times)
WA3VJB
« on: February 22, 2008, 03:15:37 AM »

JT posted this over in the ebay section.

I know I just said a seller had every right to ask whatever he wanted for prices but a Ranger II for $900??  That seems a bit inflated to me, no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300200579891

Congratulations.
You are performing the function of determining cost versus value.

Sometimes people offer something for sale not expecting to get the price but for other reasons.  There was a Ranger at Dayton, for example, where the owner was asking more than $1000.

A little digging shows the guy is oriented toward having a bunch of trophies, possibly to impress others, but certainly for his own enjoyment.  I figured that he probably could not care less whether the piece actually sold; it was the idea of asking that much which may have provided the "value" to him, seemed to me.

Who knows what validation or gratification people get when they ask a crazy price. But it's a common syndrome, and often at odds with how potential buyers value the same item.

I once was offered $12,000 for my 1969 Datsun Roadster. It's not worth that much, and I didn't want to sell it. But it was nice to think someone seriously values the car to that amount. Maybe I should tell my insurance company, but nah, they won't believe me.

* DSC04630'.jpg (953.56 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 388 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 08:15:43 AM »

One thing that Y'all gotta keep in mind is that Dee (W4PNT) used to get somewhere near that a resto and repaint job!! however, when he got done with them they were like new.

I paid $60 for my basket-case ranger just a few years ago!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K3ZS

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:37:47 AM »

A Ranger II was sold in bidding for over $1000 about 6 months ago.    It was restored and with many new mods.   Makes me feel good about getting one not long ago for much less.
N4JOY
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:07:28 AM »

I am fairly new to the Johnson scene, but was able to pick-up a Ranger for a just over $200.  It is in good condition with no mods (all original inside).  It seems the Ranger IIs fetch a premium price compared to their older brothers.  Maybe it is me, but considering all this new interest in boat anchors/AM transmitters (as seen on the auction sites for example), how come I'm not hearing additional AM activity on 80 and 40?  Maybe all this gear is sitting in closets or on shelves as collectibles?   
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:22:14 AM »

I saw a sweet looking, stock, unmodified Ranger One at Hosstraders two years ago, asking $225, took $200.  I can only hope it went to a user, not a flipper.

That's one thing about asking a lot of money in the first place, it weeds out people who just see a revenue opportunity, not a rig they actually want to keep.

I long have said that the real "deals" are never publicized, they take place within the family among people who trust one another and whose primary interest in the gear is using it, not investing in it.
WA5VQM
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 11:36:22 AM »

What kills me reading stuff like this is that in 1990 I gave away my Ranger I. Yes, gave. I was getting married, needed the room, wasn't active on ham radio, and gee, it's an old radio anyway. Free to good home. Who knew that years later I'd become active again, catch the boatanchor bug, and Rangers would be so valuable? If any of you got a free Ranger in Simi Valley, CA in 1990- can I have it back?

73, Mark
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »

It's hard for some to adjust from the days when no one wanted old gear and you could haul it away for $5 or free, to a time when there is actually a demand. Using one of the online inflation calculators to convert the original selling price of a Ranger to 2007 dollars should prove interesting. Though not a direct comparison technology-wise, it does give a good idea of what a new or excellent condition rig would cost if sold today.

W0YVA had a beautifully rebuilt Ranger at Dayton for $1500, think Paul got a photo of it. It didn't look new, it looked better than new with a high-gloss finish. Not the kind of gear I'm interested in, but plenty do go for such items. Consider the time alone put into one of these upbuilds and then wonder how much they are actually clearing for a profit. Dunno about others, but as time moves forward, I value my time a whole lot more.

Fortunately, I was spared much of the regret others now feel over letting rigs go years/decades ago for free or very little $. My timing put me into the heyday of 'haul it off' back in the mid 70s, and I've kept more than I've gotten rid of. Life also intervened at some opportune times to keep me off the air but also to keep me away from radio in general, and any large equipment purges.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N1ESE
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »

Yeah, I'm not into the whole restore better than new and make it look like a '57 Chevy that never was.

I know the exact equipment I want for my AM station, I just can't afford to pay the premium prices being advertised on this stuff to do it NOW so I need to just be patient and let the equipment find me. Smiley

- JT
AF9J
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »

I just heard from another AM ham last night about him having an offer of a Ranger I & II, HT-37 and a SP-600, all at $50 each. So bargains still pop up and these came via an on air contact.

That's how my Viking II was bought - by a relatively informal route.  I got it via a "For Sale" check-in on the Midwest Classic Net, that meets every Saturday morining on 3885.  Rodger, WQ9E, heard it, knew I was looking for a Viking, and let me know about it.  Within 3 hours I was driving to the Rockford, IL area to pick it up.  As soon as I get the modulator bugs worked out, it'll be ready to go.

Ellen - AF9J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015