The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:20:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fixing this terminal strip  (Read 3655 times)
N1ESE
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:07:31 PM »

As you can see in this pic, the leg has broken off one of the terminals.  What's my best course of action with this?  Can surplus strips like this be found anywhere?

http://n1ese.qrpradio.com/strip.jpg

Thanks

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 07:29:52 PM »

Yeah, I realize it is a regular spade and I can, and will, JS it that way for now, I was looking at returning it to as original a configuration as possible.

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:48:44 PM »

Well, I JS'd it for now.  Had to splice in a couple extra inches of wire, blah.  All connections are soldered so it should be good.

http://n1ese.qrpradio.com/strip2.jpg

- JT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:28:34 AM »

Not to seem too dumb here, but......................................... Why not drill out the rivet on the unused lug and swap it over to the one you need??

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »

As you can see in this pic, the leg has broken off one of the terminals.  What's my best course of action with this?  Can surplus strips like this be found anywhere?

Thanks

- JT

I like Slab's suggestion but another approach would be to get a new spade lug, after cleaning up the broken lug open up the new one, cut it a bit short, wrap some very small gauge buss wire around it (tightly) and then solder it in place.  The extra buss wire can be trimmed away after the soldering is done.  I still like Slab's suggestion best.

73, Al VTP
N1ESE
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:43:13 AM »

Slab, thought of that but don't have the rivets or tool at the moment to do it right now.  Probably the best long term way to go.  Don't think I'll ever need that spare lug not in use now.

- JT
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 08:00:55 PM »

Slab, thought of that but don't have the rivets or tool at the moment to do it right now.  Probably the best long term way to go.  Don't think I'll ever need that spare lug not in use now.

- JT

Unless your are a purist you could use a 4-40 or 2-56 screw with a locking nut (the one with the nylon lock) to install lug you "borrowed"   to fasten it to its new home.

Al
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 12:28:06 PM »

Thanks

- JT

I like Slab's suggestion but another approach would be to get a new spade lug, after cleaning up the broken lug open up the new one, cut it a bit short, wrap some very small gauge buss wire around it (tightly) and then solder it in place.  The extra buss wire can be trimmed away after the soldering is done.  I still like Slab's suggestion best.

73, Al VTP

I can vouch for the adaptation of a new lug, with tightly wrapped wire holding it to the old fragment. Maybe #24 to #32? Must be small wire. - more wraps of small wire are better than less wraps of large wire.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015