The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:04:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Viking 2 news  (Read 2917 times)
AF9J
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:34:22 PM »

Hi Everybody,

Work's been kind of nuts, and I've been pretty burned out.  So, I've only been able to work on my Viking II sporadically.  Last Sunday night, I finally got around to wiring up my D-104 with the mic connecter Ed, VA3ES sent me, for use with my Viking II.  With the mic finally wired up, I was able to determine that yes, my Viking 2 is wired up for PTT (the PTT in mine works fine). I also was getting OK modulation of of my Viking.  BUT, after no more than about 5 seconds of mic keydown, the modulator current would surge, and start to run away.  Well, due to the fiasco the CQ 160m Contest is turning out to be for me, I decided to work on my Viking 2's modulator issue.

Well, it looks like I found my problem in spades. After only about 2 or 3 seconds of mic keydown, in spite of the fact that I had the mic gain/audio level at zero, the modulator current surged again.  I unkeyed the mic, let things settle down, and keyed up the mic again, watching the 807s.  Sure enough, the modulator current surged again, and when it was happening, what did I
see? - a nice BIG arc over between the plate and the grids on one of the 807s!  I shut things down, pulled the 807 out that arced, fired up my Viking 2 again, and keyed the mic, with only the non-arcing 807 installed.  Nothing happened, other than the fact that the modulator current stayed steady at a pretty low level (due to there only being one 807 installed).  So, it looks like I need to get my hands on another 807. And maybe, it might be wise for me to get two of them, and save the one remaining good one I have at the present, for a spare. BTW, the resistor on the plate cap for the bad 807 is supposed to read 22 ohms. Assuming that's it's your typical +/-
10% resistor (personally I prefer +/- 5% or better), it shouldn't read more than say 25 ohms.  The cap resistor on the bad 807 read 28 ohms.  Well, there isn't much more I can do with the Viking 2, until I get the new 807s. I don't feel like pulling off the mic connector I installed for the Viking 2 (wiring up mic connectors is a pain), and I haven't gotten the mating connector yet, that I need to wire up an adapter cable, so I'm out of luck with using the Scout for tomorrow's Midwest Classic net.  I'll only be able to listen to Rob, run the net.  Well, I think I'm going to call it a night, I'm falling asleep.

Ellen - AF9J
N1ESE
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 06:29:58 AM »

Glad to see you still making progress Ellen.  I've been watching this project since you first acquired her.

- JT
AF9J
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:01:15 AM »

Thanks JT.   Smiley    I'm hoping that replacing the 807s will be the last of the Viker's major problems.  Although, considering that I only paid $75 for it, I can't expect it to be perfect.  Wink  BTW, how's the receiver search going for you?  My SX-96 is doing the business for me.  I just need to deal with some BCI intermod I have (all of my rigs have it to a greater or lesser degree on 75 & 160m - there are THREE AM broadcast statons within 10 miles of me, 2 of which are less than 2 miles away).  Also that Multi-Elmac you have, is a cool alternative to a Ranger.

Ellen - AF9J
N1ESE
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »

BTW, how's the receiver search going for you?  My SX-96 is doing the business for me.  Also that Multi-Elmac you have, is a cool alternative to a Ranger.

I know what receiver I want, just waiting for the right one to find the way to me. Smiley  An OM from here is supposed to get back to me this weekend with more info and pics on some that he is selling.

The Multi-Elmac is very neat, and clean, and offers similar performance to a Ranger but it's still no Ranger.  I would like a Ranger some day along with a Collins 32V model.

- JT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015