The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:09:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to CFRX 6070?  (Read 2763 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: February 16, 2008, 07:42:12 PM »

I talked to a VE3 the other night and the subject came up.  He said he thought the shartwave relay that simulcasts with CFRB, Toronto been discontinued, along with other shortwave transmitters that relayed certain Canadian MW broadcasters.  I haven't heard them for a long time.  They used to come in here very well during the daytime during the winter months.

I ran upon this web site, and from what I read, they have been having transmitter problems, and about a year ago a landscaping company knocked down their antenna, a 50' vertical mast.  Supposedly a new transmitter and antenna have been ordered and they should be back on the air soon. 

CFRX has been on the air since 1937, and runs 1000 watts 24/7.  The original homebrew transmitter was replaced by a plate-modulated Bauer unit in 1983.  They used to run a two-mast directional array, but later changed to the single 50' vertical  mast, located at the CFRB antenna site, as shown in the photo.

http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/CFRX/#ans

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:01:04 PM »

Yeah the Canadian DX Association handles their QSL requests, that was always cool to hear the address given every so often.

When I was working a night shift I used to listen to them as well. What struck me was the intelligent nature of the callers to the daytime talk shows they had.

This was well before Russ Limbaugh began overflowing on the radio, so there was no race to the bottom for content and tone of the disgussion as we typically hear today.

No politics were harmed in the making of this posting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015